Jepson Peak 4.27.11

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Norris wrote: This screen grab shows the route we did on Sunday. It was 14.7 miles according to Garmin. Of course, Garmin also said the summit was in the wrong place :D
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... f4&theater
who is this fella Garmin? maybe he's not worth hiking with? :wink:
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

norma r wrote:
Norris wrote: This screen grab shows the route we did on Sunday. It was 14.7 miles according to Garmin. Of course, Garmin also said the summit was in the wrong place :D
Funny thing is Norris guessed the correct chute to head up to actually hit the summit, but we went up a little west of that in a steeper chute.

I've found those little summit markers are often a bit off from the true summit when I get there. FYI.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Burchey wrote:
norma r wrote:
Funny thing is Norris guessed the correct chute to head up to actually hit the summit, but we went up a little west of that in a steeper chute.

I've found those little summit markers are often a bit off from the true summit when I get there. FYI.
Ahem, actually it was I who pointed out the correct route. :lol:
Norris was indeed misled by that Garmin fellow, but his route was more fun!. 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Sheesh, this Garmin guy is no good.

Besides, "real" hikers read maps. :wink:

HJ
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Dave G wrote: Ahem, actually it was I who pointed out the correct route. :lol:
Norris was indeed misled by that Garmin fellow, but his route was more fun!. 8)
It was Dave, I forgot. You mentioned the huge bowl with the eastern curve heading up. Forgot about that.

Jim, real hikers do read maps. We had one, but we didn't get it out. Acute case of laziness, I think.
Taco

Post by Taco »

SO, UHHHHH any of you guys ever climb the damn death chute? I haven't yet but am interested.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Taco wrote: SO, UHHHHH any of you guys ever climb the damn death chute? I haven't yet but am interested.
Sounds dangerous.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Apparently it was named from above by a hiker in summer. In winter going up it looks very tame, a snow climb up to maybe 45*. Kinda like a Baldy Bowl with less stuff above to fall down and nobody around. I may go do it as part of a dumb project I have in my head.