VIDEOS - Post or link to videos!

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

This is Bear Canyon. Grand Canyon would be the one over the ridge to the left. Not in the picture.
GlideLA wrote: Image

Is this trail on the left one of yours?
And that's the Sam Merrill Trail to Echo Mtn. Then the Middle Merrill extending up the ridge above Echo.
GlideLA

Post by GlideLA »

Sean wrote: In the video, between 5:45-6:00 minutes you are heading straight for the ridge between Panorama Point (upper left) and the West Fuji plateau (lower right). The upper Lone Tree Trail used to go up that Ridge. Now it's an old firebreak with a use path and portions of the old trail still intact. And if you look closely you can see the lower trail, which is maintained, descending West Fuji from the rock outcropping in the middle of the plateau and contouring around the west slope.
Unfortunately, I deleted my best wing shots of that location but I did find this one which I hope is of some value. Click for full res.
GlideLA

Post by GlideLA »

Sean wrote: This is Bear Canyon. Grand Canyon would be the one over the ridge to the left. Not in the picture....
....And that's the Sam Merrill Trail to Echo Mtn. Then the Middle Merrill extending up the ridge above Echo.
Thanks for the correction. Lots to learn about local trails and terrain. I'm glad to know there is this interest and activity as well as volunteerism. If I can combat this persistent sinusitis maybe I'd like to start walking again then use Signal Hill which is a few miles from our house to start developing my legs once again. It would probably benefit my flying activity too.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

The video at this web site is worth a look.

http://la.curbed.com/2017/1/18/14312982 ... zing-video
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Thanks for sharing this. I like those early mornings above the clouds.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

Here is a short video of Dima and I dealing with a scree chute in Punchbowl Canyon. This gully is directly below the C-46 tail section. Parts of the plane wreck slid down this steep slope into the stream. Some large pieces remain half-buried in the rocks. One of these parts appears in the video. We think it might be a propeller blade, but are not certain.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Kevin Nealon hikes with Owen Wilson in Solstice Canyon...

Sean

Post by Sean »

Check out the first episode of SNACK BREAKDOWN. Willie and I hike around Gender Gap and discuss the most important social issue of our time. Then we take a break and try a new snack.

headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Looks like you guys had fun, what a jump!
dima

Post by dima »

Wow! Are you going for an Oscar or a Nobel? And what's with the wall?
Sean

Post by Sean »

dima wrote:Wow! Are you going for an Oscar or a Nobel?
Both.
And what's with the wall?
We figured it was some sort of flood control dam that failed. It only covered half the gully.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Random thoughts while watching....
I really like Willie's rolling technique to avoid the yucca.
The wall was probably built just to distract men from rushing through the gender gap, knowing they would likely stop to ponder and then climb.
7-11 might just be the best place to get snacks that look disgusting. You look disappointed that it was actually pretty good.
Outstanding leap by Willie!

I can't wait for the next episode.
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

There was an accident yesterday on the Angeles Crest Highway near Dawson Saddle. It prevented us from reaching the Blue Ridge, but I got some footage of the rescue helicopter taking off from the road.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Recently the Restoration Legacy Crew cleared the road through Mueller Tunnel. A couple of the larger boulders needed special treatment in order to remove. I created a two-part video documenting our efforts. Check it out!

JeffH

Post by JeffH »

That's a great project - road looks so much better now!
I had to watch the entire second video just to see the music credit for the "Twilight Zone" interpretation.
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

Here is a video I made of Willie in Santa Paula Canyon. He does some cliff jumping, and we ride the waterslide too.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Willie and I took a hike in the Verdugo Mountains and tasted some new snacks.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Jeremiah (stonehillnews) is featured in a new web commercial for Chevrolet. The production took place back in August, and I was allowed to shoot behind-the-scenes video. You might find it interesting, because it contains a tour of the Altadena Mountain Rescue Team's headquarters and footage of rappelling action at the Garden of the Gods in Chatsworth. Also, Jeremiah and I provide commentary throughout.

tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Has the commercial aired yet? It would be cool to see the final result.
Sean

Post by Sean »

tekewin wrote: Has the commercial aired yet? It would be cool to see the final result.
Yep.

JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Sean wrote: Willie and I took a hike in the Verdugo Mountains and tasted some new snacks.

When talking about selfie sticks, how do you define fanny pack? I have a belted water bottle carrier that I got at a New Balance store, I have used it while hiking the Wilderness Park loop. Does that make me less of a macho man? Hmm, another great life question to ponder.
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

JeffH wrote:When talking about selfie sticks, how do you define fanny pack? I have a belted water bottle carrier...
I accept the popular definition at Wikipedia. Basically a zippered pouch strapped around the waist and used for carrying personal items. Carrying things on your belt is different. A lot of guys do that, including cops, soldiers, construction workers, hunters, and Batman. I think the issue with the fanny pack is that it's used similarly to a purse, which is traditionally seen as feminine. I'm not entirely sure what the issue is with the selfie stick, but it too doesn't seem manly. It might have something to do with women wanting to get more of their torso (breasts) in the shot than a man needs. A man can just stick his arm out and be happy with the result.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

We are pretty simple creatures.
Donald Shimoda
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

A timelaspe I took off Mt. Mooney Rd. Music made by yours truly.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Neat clouds. Is that looking westish at sunset?
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

Sean wrote:Neat clouds. Is that looking westish at sunset?
It's looking East at sunrise :)
Sean

Post by Sean »

See Bob hiking up the trail.
Hear Bob naming ev'ry plant.
Go, Bob, go sit on the bench.
How you must be very spent!

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sean wrote: See Bob hiking up the trail.
Hear Bob naming ev'ry plant.
Go, Bob, go sit on the bench.
How you must be very spent!

When does he destroy the bench?
David R

Post by David R »

All these benches are triggering me, I just threw a pen in the air for no reason.