Hiker Ruth Woroniecki SAR 12/24/22

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

https://localtoday.news/ca/santa-cruz-b ... 47886.html
open source of Washington Post article 2/16/23
"Hiker in California holding her own broken neck while walking to rescuers"

Comments were incredulous that there was a person hiking with a broken neck...
From the NY Post:
“She initially went feet first and then she hit her head on a log and she went unconscious. She woke up to another hiker helping her out,” he added.
“She seemed a little dazed, confused, but very thankful we were able to get her off that mountain,” Deputy Doug Brimmer, who flew the rescue chopper, told CBS News.

Well...Deputy Doug Brimmer didnt see the hospital bill. It says no way should the patient have been moved.
A photo at https://www.gofundme.com/f/ruthworoniecki
dima

Post by dima »

Did y2k teach us nothing? For far too long I was thinking this was an old article from 1923 about some hardy old-timy hiker. It was confusing, and I was disappointed to learn that this is actually about 2023. I liked my imagined version better
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

The link at the top of #1 is about a high school basketball game...?

As always with these mass-media news reports, there is zero info that would help anyone else analyze the accident and get anything useful from it.

There are various ways a vertebra can be injured. The processes (parts that stick out as muscle attachments) can be broken without causing any threat to the spinal cord. I've walked with this type of injury, and in fact without any idea that I'd injured any vertebrae. I thought I probably had some broken ribs, which I did -- but I also had some broken vertebrae.
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

(My second paragraph is referring to the KTLA article linked from the gofundme page. Hey, didn't tapatalk used to have a way to edit a post after you posted it, or am I just hallucinating that memory?)
dima

Post by dima »

I have an "edit" button below each post, but I'm a fancy-pants admin. The tapatalk people definitely hallucinate on a regular basis
Sean

Post by Sean »

bcrowell wrote: Hey, didn't tapatalk used to have a way to edit a post after you posted it, or am I just hallucinating that memory?)
We allow people to edit or delete their posts for 24 hours, then this feature is restricted to protect forum integrity. After 24 hours you can DM a member of the admin team to request an edit or deletion.
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

I see, it was just that I was using a browser extension that was blocking some third-party scripts from running, and that broke the edit button.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Aargh..I tried to get an article through the paywall...it was first Washington Post..ktla did another interview too.
dima

Post by dima »

To share paywalled links you can use an archiver. For instance: https://archive.is. Stick the paywalled URL there, and it'll give you a non-paywalled link back