Have I found my people?!

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Hello everyone,
I've been hiking the Santa Monicas, Santa Susannas, Verdugos, and am now really starting to dig into the mother of all LA area mountain ranges...and after 250 unique hikes, I have finally stumbled across this forum and am quite excited to see other people in love with the obscure corners of the San Gabriel range the way I am. I love blowing hours and hours planning routes on google earth and figuring out how I can best bag peaks that may not have established trails up them. Really happy to see there are other people out there who are kinda cut from the same cloth and seem to be posting on this forum.

I live in the San Fernando Valley and have a "radius" method I've created for myself for systematically hiking pretty much everything I can in my area, progressing outward to encompass more trails and peaks to bag mile by mile. Maybe at some point I'll nerd out and share some google earth screen shots of all my routes or something.

Anyways, this is just a dorky post introducing myself I felt compelled to make after stumbling in here and reading enough posts to realize what I had found. As soon as I saw the davidwiese post "guess this obscure front range peak" and it was Limerock and The Pinnacle.... damn those are my mountains, guys!

If there are other resources for LA area explorers like this, let me know!

Warmest,
Nate
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Welcome. If you're a little weird about the San Gabes then yes you may have found your peeps. I've learned a lot from reading here...
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

It's nuts around here. But read, read, read and learn. Post ALL of you trips.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yes, you're in the right place. Welcome to the forum! I look forward to your reports and big-nerd posts. If you could only see some of my file folders...
walker

Post by walker »

Welcome! Come to think of it, there's something like 15 years' worth of tall tales, speculation, hearsay, rumors, dubious conjecture and a few odd, miscellaneous facts no sane person would care about lurking in these pages. Please join in with your own!
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Love the warm welcome. I like the fact this forum is every bit as hard to find and get to as a good hidden San Gabriel canyon. Feels appropriate.
Cool yeah I'll definitely share a KML file or two and screenshots at some point. I'm pretty proud of my "hiking radius." I also have a few more relatively ambitious routes in mind I want to run by you guys before I attempt them in case ya'll have experience to share...
Sean

Post by Sean »

Nate U wrote: I like the fact this forum is every bit as hard to find and get to as a good hidden San Gabriel canyon. Feels appropriate.
Damn, I'll have to steal that for our no-budget marketing campaign.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

There is a TV series that has the "Angeles National Forest"...the opening scene is its on fire, wolves are sadistic killers,etc. I dont know if you want to be associated with the forest.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Welcome aboard. Didnt know we were hard to find. I think thats kinda nice.