EAGLE REST, PEAK 6000 & ANTIMONY

Archived TRs for the Los Padres National Forest.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Last time I hiked to Eagle Rest was in 2018.

EAGLE REST & ANTIMONY

I decided to re-visit these peaks because I am training, but not so much for the elevation as for the strenuous, steep, ass kicking to get me in shape.

I met my group of 5 at the Flying J in Frazier Park. We caravaned to Tecuya Mtn Rd (9N22). The parking lot's elevation was actually higher than Eagle Rest Peak.

Anyways, prepared for what was ahead of me, I tried not to think about the steep, overgrown terrain and the grueling pain that I was about to encounter once again.

Bagging the first peak of the morning, Antimony, was the easy part. After a short break we began the arduous part of the journey by dropping down into the canyon below which was quite beautiful. The larkspur in this area were powder blue and the downhill slopes were covered with them.

We then began ascending to a second saddle, and this is where it started to get nasty with unforgiving, overgrown, thick brush. I was impaled many times but this was probably my fault for wearing shorts. There were some sections where we were ducking our heads under low tree limbs and we had to literally push our way through as we were getting scratched by thorns. Also, there were lots of downed trees to hop over.

Finally, we arrived at a small clearing before heading up to the saddle which was at the base of our next big climb. This was the hardest part of the climb towards our destination which we call the big, bad-ass, hump along the way--AKA peak number 6000'. We took a long break here and I ate half of my lunch. I was already exhausted, feeling the wrath of pain in my legs and arms and needed some energy before the next big climb.

After descending this bump with more bushwhacking, we finally arrived at saddle #3, where we got a clearer view of Eagle Rest and the fun rock scrambling ahead of us. The trail picked up again and there were rock formations along the way. The views from here are my favorite. You can see other peaks in the area. Also, as you look back from this vantage point it is a painful reminder of the elevation gain on the return which is greater than the gain to Eagle Rest.

As we continued on to the final ridge to the peak, it became a bit overgrown again with weeds. The final push to the summit is a class 2 rock scramble. By this point, I was already spent and had no energy. However, I love climbing rocks so I got an adrenaline rush that inspired me to press on even if it killed me.

I was so exhilarated to finally summit! The views are amazing! At the very top is a cool, razor's edge rock formation, but it doesn't occupy the entire summit. There are huge rocks to sit on and soak in the views. The register can be found at the high point under a big boulder. No benchmark.

After a long break to re-energize we headed out. As we were descending, we heard thunder and it began to rain, but we were prepared. It didn't last long, so that was good. Unfortunately for me it was a long, slow, painful trek back to Antimony saddle. I slipped on some wet rocks and slammed my hip.

We saw fresh mountain lion tracks on the return, and lots of bear scat when we started.

This is one of those peaks that is seldomly visited. Whoever was there recently placed cairns after descending Antimony. Then the cairns disappear and re-surface closer to Eagle Rest. There is no real trail and it is not on AllTrails.

This is also on the Sierra Club list.

On the bright side I found the most gorgeous butterfly mariposa lilies. The best I've found this season.

Stats: 11 strenuous miles, gain 5300'
2400' ft on the way out, 2900' on the return

Would I do it again? Yes, when I am in better shape.

Antimony peak
IMG_20230610_095954.jpg
peak 6000'
IMG_20230610_133009.jpg

Saddle below Eagle Rest
IMG_20230611_091410.jpg

Final push to Eagle Rest
IMG_20230611_091527.jpg

Summit
IMG_20230610_110220.jpg
IMG_20230610_140015.jpg
IMG_20230610_145952.jpg
IMG_20230610_151233.jpg
IMG_20230611_091730.jpg
craigchanowski22

Post by craigchanowski22 »

Girl Hiker,
nice effort and nice pictures-great job with macro picture of the wild orchid?-keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your adventure.CRC
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. How'd you get that butterfly to sit still?
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

What a day. I generally don't like uphills on the return half of a hike.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Sean wrote: Thanks for the report. How'd you get that butterfly to sit still?
It was stuck on the bear poop ?
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

JeffH wrote: What a day. I generally don't like uphills on the return half of a hike.
Me either but it was the only way out.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

craigchanowski22 wrote: Girl Hiker,
nice effort and nice pictures-great job with macro picture of the wild orchid?-keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your adventure.CRC
Thanks.
The flowers are Mariposa Lilly's.
craigchanowski22

Post by craigchanowski22 »

Girl hiker-thanks for making that plant indentifcation correct with the Mariposa Lilly. For some reason I still get these two plants confused to this day.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

This is the summit of Eagles Rest. I had to wait for my friend to send this one.
PXL_20230610_213651278.jpg

Peak 6000
PXL_20230610_185521232~2.jpg

Start of the climb to ER
PXL_20230610_213201991.jpg
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Wow, thats a serious trek. Impressive. I've been meaning to hike in the San Emigdio Mts, come close but haven't made it out there yet. Terrain looks like the Santa Susannas on steroids.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Antimony is 6851
Middle peak is 6000
Eagles rest is 6017