Destroying Angel Aka Death Cap mushroom

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I believe I found this deadly, poisonous mushroom on my hike last week.

Very toxic can shut down your liver.

Amanita Phalloides

I read that it is not common in North America but others have found them here.

I wished I had taken more pictures.
IMG_20230604_085156.jpg
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Not Amanita Phalloides (wrong coloration and shape) nor Bisporgera (not found here, but common back East), Correct about it being one of the most deadly mushrooms out there. You found Amanita Ocreata, the Western Destroying Angel.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Continuing the theme of really pretty things that will kill you -- along the Hondo Canyon Trail in the Santa Monica Mountains, a death cap (Amanita Philloides)
IMG-7482.jpg
IMG-7481.jpg
IMG-7480.jpg
dima

Post by dima »

How hard do you have to work to feel ill? Is touching ok? Do you have to eat a lot of it? Cooking doesn't matter at all?
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

You have to eat it. Touching is not a problem with any mushroom. It doesn't take a lot, but a single mushroom can be your last. The toxin, amatoxin, is neither water not heat soluble, so there is no preparation that makes it other than deadly. The same toxin is in the destroying angel that GirlHiker found. Both are deadly, both can be handled without a worry; done it many time including the death cap I found today
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

JerryN wrote: You have to eat it. Touching is not a problem with any mushroom. It doesn't take a lot, but a single mushroom can be your last. The toxin, amatoxin, is neither water not heat soluble, so there is no preparation that makes it other than deadly. The same toxin is in the destroying angel that GirlHiker found. Both are deadly, both can be handled without a worry; done it many time including the death cap I found today
Just don't lick your fingers after touching it?
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

There have never been reports of poisoning from that, only from eating the mushroom. Still why lick your fingers after digging in the dirt?
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Just to be clear, the amatoxin is in the flesh of the mushroom and it doesn't rub off by handling them.