Vivian Creek to San G

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

I did an out and back on the Vivian Creek trail to San G today, in my "run" style (i.e., run/jog/walk, with a little fanny pack). I ripped my precious favorite 1990 fanny pack when putting microspikes in it. You can't seem to get fanny packs this small anymore :-( I'll have to sew on a patch. But I was glad I brought the microspikes, because there was quite a big snow field to traverse near the bowl. There was quite a nice boot track, actually, but of course I failed to insert into it, and instead had to do kind of a white-knuckles traverse higher up. Snow conditions were firm in the morning, so the spikes stuck nicely.

The creeks are running like I've never seen them before. I had to look for a log to use to cross the usually bone-dry Mill Creek crossing at the trailhead. Saw a very tiny fawn that was just learning to walk on its wobbly legs, and felt bad about scaring it. Came around a corner and nearly stumbled into a doe -- wow, a deer is a big animal when you're that close to it. The summit was overcast, windy, and super cold for someone dressed as lightly as I was. Luckily the sun came out just as I was starting the descent.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. I just tore my favorite backpack on a tree branch. What gives?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Thanks for the report. Might be another month before the snow melts up high. San G is an awesome mountain.