Baldy Water Slide

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Two weeks ago I took a small group of hikers to Stoddard Peak with the intention of cooling off afterwards at the Baldy Water Slide. It was a nice day, we made good time but it started to lightly rain on us during the descent.

By the time we returned to our cars, the rain had stopped. A couple of us checked out the Baldy Water Slide. We walked along the trail for a short distance before finding the rope used to descend the steep, rocky section to the creek below. There was a big pool at the bottom which indicated what was in store for us.

We decided to go downstream first. We were amazed to be in this gorgeous canyon that seemed like it went on forever. There were pools and pools of blue-green water holes with lots of mini waterfalls and cascades. The water was so pristine and crystal clear. We couldn't resist taking a dip and cooling off in almost every pool we waded through. A few were too deep for me, so we bypassed them.

I was overwhelmed by this canyon's beauty. It's a hidden gem in the San Gabes. And yet, no one else was around to take advantage of such a serene location that mother nature has provided. I was in awe! I was in love! To my eyes, this is the most impressive canyon I've ever hiked through.

We turned around at some point and headed up stream. After arriving back at the first huge pool of water, below the ropes en route to the Baldy Water Slide, I didn't think this section was as pretty. Near the end it was a bit challenging for some of us. There's a section where you need to use ropes to walk across a rock wall. Unless you are 6 ft. tall, then you can easily walk across a deep pool avoiding the ropes. This section is not for inexperienced individuals. We waited for a group as they struggled to get past the ropes with the look of fear on their faces. Not to mention, they wore the wrong shoes, freaking out and holding up the line while the rest of us waited patiently.

After we got beyond these ropes, there was a second obstacle to climb over. A huge, knocked-down tree that someone placed between a rock and a wall in order to climb to the base of the slide.

Finally, we arrived at the huge, deep, green pool of water beneath the water slide. We sat on a big rock watching people muster up the courage to take the plunge. It was hilarious.

I contemplated sliding down because it looked refreshing. But after seeing how potentially dangerous it was and the fact that the pool below was very, very deep, I opted out.

I recommend going downstream if you want to avoid the crowds and enjoy a peaceful swim.
20230809_141801.jpg
20230809_141736.jpg
20230809_131844.jpg
20230809_131140.jpg
20230809_130601.jpg
20230809_124655.jpg
20230809_124037.jpg
20230809_123342.jpg
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Sean

Post by Sean »

It sounds like you almost fell under the water slide's magic spell. Thanks for the report.
David R

Post by David R »

Did Baldy today and the west side of the road has all no parking signs now near Barett-Stoddard Road but people parked there anyway and they were giving out lotsa tickets, cha-ching.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

David R wrote: Did Baldy today and the west side of the road has all no parking signs now near Barett-Stoddard Road but people parked there anyway and they were giving out lotsa tickets, cha-ching.
I knew that was gonna happen. Lol
dima

Post by dima »

David R wrote: Did Baldy today and the west side of the road has all no parking signs now near Barett-Stoddard Road but people parked there anyway and they were giving out lotsa tickets, cha-ching.
That pisses me off so much. At least there's good signage now? Pop quiz: who's the "they" that are giving out the tickets? If you don't know already, you'll be shocked.
Sean

Post by Sean »

dima wrote: Pop quiz: who's the "they" that are giving out the tickets? If you don't know already, you'll be shocked.
FB_IMG_1693237707750~2.jpg
dima

Post by dima »

For those not yet aware, the MRCA owns that pullout across from Barret Stoddard rd. That's all they own. Just that little pullout. And the way the use that tiny bit of land is to put up no-parking signs, and then to patrol that one pullout to write tickets. Bleh.