High on 'Neight Thousand'

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

I navigated 2.5 hours of brutal traffic from Culver City to join Sean and Cecelia at their campsite in Crystal Lake, in the process traveling deeper and higher into the thrashed and tortured granites of the San Gabriel Mt range than I ever had before, driving my little SUV into a remote bowl encircled by shattered grey monzonite ramparts studded by ancient Jeffrey pine turrets. More sentinels than trees, the creatures had seen enough people come and go across the centuries to no longer bother paying them mind.

I feasted modestly upon tender nuggets of carne wrapped in warmed tortillas Sean had generous offered me, and we burned oaken chair legs of my former dining room table set well into the night, speaking in hushed and reverent tones of grand attempts to enter into the deepest canyons and traverse along the most isolated ridges of this hostile, seductive upheaval of stone that sings a siren song we’ve habitually failed to refuse.
IMG_20230826_071325898.jpg
I downed a High Brew coffee per the day’s theme, and joining forces with the grizzled, convivial likes of JeffH, Uncle Rico, and new-comer Tim and we made our way through the cool calm shade of the early morning to Pinyon Ridge, a buttress of gravel and junipers that leads the ambitious cross country traveler via a tangled smattering of game trails up the side of Hawkins Ridge, growing progressively steeper and more resistant to our progress until we emerged upon Hawkins road, which led us majestically across the rockfalls and gullies into the sun and SoCal’s most scenic toilet seat on South Hawkins.
IMG_20230826_073255084_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230826_083836029_HDR.jpg
And yet, Nellie Hawkins was no ordinary waitress, and she has a whole ridge worth of peaks named in her memory, and we took it upon ourselves to follow it northward and upward to the very crest itself of the transverse ranges. Most of our party accepted the added challenge to summit each and every member of Nellie’s service industry legacy, and the likes of South, Sadie, Middle all fell to the sword of our footfalls.
IMG_20230826_111109786_HDR.jpg
Only Hawkins proper remained undisturbed on this day, but that was only because we had far more prestigious summits to declare annexed by our empire of GPX archives: The San Gabriel Mountains newest, trendiest highpoint sensation, Neight Thousand.

A demoralizing plunge downwards through high altitude deadfall and buckthorn was required to reach this enigmatic summit, and only myself, Sean and the indomitable Tim were determined enough to see it through to the very grano-dioritic pinnacle of the bump itself, in the process losing 500 feet of elevation we knew would not be easily gained back again. But such physical hardships are trivial in comparison to the divine pursuit of giving Ranger Nick ( @adventures_in_nomansland ) one more peak he now must bag.
(Meanwhile, a few paces into the deadfall JeffH called it good at his own special peak of “Neighty-four-hundred” and turned back to rejoin the others and plan lunch.)
Myself, Sean and Tim signed the brand new Neight Thousand register (shockingly there wasn’t one already present) and battled the ridge back up to follow the PCT to the rest of our companions and discover fresh, cold, miraculous water emerging from the deepest subterranean heart of the mountain to fill our canteens and souls before we plunged down the Windy Gap trail, fueled by hungry anticipation of the gourmet grilled cheese meal we knew was contained within Jeff’s backpack waiting to be realized.

Back down in the Crystal Lake campground Jeff unleashed his carefully curated collection of tools and ingredients to form us crunchy, gooey tablets of unctuous salvation, shared amongst fellow slayers of stone. The ingredients grew steadily more elaborate and absurd with each grilled cheese sandwich until we were reinventing culinary conventions with pestos and gummi bears to create a brave new thriving society of trailside lunching, with Jeff our unanimously elected sovereign.
IMG_20230826_162902586_HDR.jpg
Eventually the sun waned in sky and we all grudgingly dispersed back down into the misbegotten world laying below, though not before a scare with locking myself out of my car, a miserable scenario which was mercifully rectified in time by using a few long pointy sticks carefully fished through a crack in my passenger side window to depress the start and unlock buttons of my SUV from the outside, and allow entry.

Ideas for future expeditions were discussed, and I am certain more iconic adventures are in the offing. In the meantime I am still feeling the lingering intoxicating effects of traversing the high country of the San Gabriels, and very much consider myself high on its exposed, rugged magnetism.
6B50E833-.jpg
IMG_20230826_132637961_HDR.jpg
IMG_7823.jpg
IMG_20230826_132856491_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230826_124322189_HDR.jpg
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

13.7 miles, 4,304ft of gain

Screen Shot 2023-08-27 at 10.19.51 PM.png
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

nice trek.

Welcome to Tim. Are you Tim Le? @Tim
Sean

Post by Sean »

Nate U wrote: ...The San Gabriel Mountains newest, trendiest highpoint sensation, Neight Thousand.
Now available in a variety of flavors, including Peakbagger, for those who appreciate the evolving definition of "peakness."

Neight Thousand on Peakbagger.com.
Neight Thousand on Peakbagger.com.

And Instagram (with robot music).

IMG_20230826_132322517_HDR~2.jpg
Sean

Post by Sean »

HikeUp wrote: nice trek.

Welcome to Tim. Are you Tim Le? @Tim
Tim Wong. I don't think he's on the forum, but he should be. The dude already scrambles like a pirate hiker.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

I see you found treepeople ridge quite different....thanks to them and their saplings planted <1 inch apart, you get a wonderful world of fakery.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Sean wrote:
Nate U wrote: ...The San Gabriel Mountains newest, trendiest highpoint sensation, Neight Thousand.
Now available in a variety of flavors, including Peakbagger, for those who appreciate the evolving definition of "peakness."
Brilliant. I like your TR on Peak Bagger, and am looking forward to seeing hundreds more posted to the site now as the hype builds.....
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

AW~ wrote: I see you found treepeople ridge quite different....thanks to them and their saplings planted <1 inch apart, you get a wonderful world of fakery.
Oh, did Tree People actually plant those young conifers along the higher portions of the Neight Thousand ridge? Or are you just making a joke? I've actually volunteered with them before.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

SoCal’s most scenic toilet seat on South Hawkins.
AKA, The High Can! :)

RE: Tree People, the original use of the moniker was applied to 'gate crashers' who would invade the forest behind the Greek Theatre to watch 'free' concerts. My parents were among the Tree People attending for Neil Diamond's famous Hot August Night recording.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Nate U wrote: ...am looking forward to seeing hundreds more posted to the site now as the hype builds.....
It shouldn't take long, I've deployed several robots to spread the word around the mountains.

The N8 1K social robot informs hikers about the most trendiest peaks to visit.
The N8 1K social robot informs hikers about the most trendiest peaks to visit.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AW~ wrote: I see you found treepeople ridge quite different....thanks to them and their saplings planted <1 inch apart, you get a wonderful world of fakery.
@AW~ here's a picture I took of you heading down towards N81K back in Nov, 2010. Luckily we dropped off the ridge to the west before we got down to N81K, so we can add it to our NHPS list. :)

IMG_8084.jpg

This is a screen shot of the hike AW and I did, going up the north ridge of Islip, then down from Hawkins towards N81K...

Screenshot.png
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Nate U wrote:
Oh, did Tree People actually plant those young conifers along the higher portions of the Neight Thousand ridge? Or are you just making a joke? I've actually volunteered with them before.
I dont know if it was treepeople who planted after the curve fire. But im suspicious...there is evidence its not them. But they get the credit in my book for their assault in Chilao.
Hard to say..if they didnt plant then I would have missed a even better old route. So I dont complain that much...the life of an adaptionist.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Notes:

• Pinyon Ridge gets decently steep as you approach the road to S. Hawkins
• S. Hawkins still has some of the finest views in the range
• Interesting flora grows along the Hawkins Ridge
• Little Jimmy Spring has the best water
• JeffH has started something he cannot now stop
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Pinyon Ridge was my favorite. Steep but beautiful!
20230826_081544.jpg

20230826_082720.jpg
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Shortly after we left the trail and headed up Pinyon Ridge, I glanced over at Tim. While eyeing the steep soft terrain and innumerable stretches of Buckthorn, he looked to be thinking “What have I got myself into and what kind of people are these?” All I could offer was “welcome to this week’s edition of “Hiking With Sean”. We all survived the ridge although next time he may reconsider wearing shorts for these sections.
I agree with Rico, the view from S Hawkins is magnificent. I also liked the short section of PCT heading toward Windy Gap, lots of nice places to pop off the trail and gaze over the mountains, valleys and ocean. Thanks Tim and Rico for the hi-speed walk down from WG to the campground, although it was a little disappointing to discover the sign had the wrong mileage. And that amazingly cold water at Little Jimmy Spring was exactly what I needed on a warm trek through these mountains.
Good day with good people.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

20230826_153635.jpg
20230826_115018.jpg
20230826_133703.jpg
20230826_145453.jpg