Palos Verdes Walks

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Last week I noticed that Ryan would be rolling through Palos Verdes during the Pacific Coast Bike Race. I've been meaning to walk around that place, so I combined a little cheerleading with a little exploring.

First I checked out the Vicente Bluffs Reserve. It has a nice picnic area above the cliffs, and a few pathways. I walked the Seascape Trail, enjoying views of the ocean and rocky coastline. The Reserve also has a museum and a lighthouse, but I saved those for next time. On the way back to my car I met a man with a large tortoise. He walks it along the bluffs every day.

Seascape Trail.
Seascape Trail.

Palos Verdes coastline.
Palos Verdes coastline.

Tortoise at Vicente Bluffs.
Tortoise at Vicente Bluffs.

I had promised Ryan a hot dog. So I drove into Torrance and ate lunch at Wienerschnitzel. I then returned to Palos Verdes and parked above Bluff Cove. Ryan wheeled into sight about a half an hour later. He had made a logistical boo boo in Santa Monica, so he couldn't stop for very long. He only wanted a corn dog and some of my lemonade. I snapped a quick photo and he was off. He later finished the race in San Diego in first place!

Ryan above Bluff Cove.
Ryan above Bluff Cove.

I checked the map and noticed that Flat Rock Point was nearby. I drove down into a residential area and found the access trail to Bluff Cove and the point. This is a neat section of the coast. I scrambled around the tidal pools and rocks, and found a secluded area to chill out and hunt for crabs.

Next I drove to Roessler Point in Malaga Cove. But here I only stepped out of the car to quickly visit the overlook, from which you can see down to the beach and spy on swimmers in the memorial pool.

Roessler overlook.
Roessler overlook.

Roessler Swimming Pool
Roessler Swimming Pool

I then checked the map again. I wanted to do a sunset hike around the crest of Palos Verdes. Del Cerro Park seemed like a suitable starting point. So I made my way up the hills and found the park. Signs indicated that it was for permitted residents only, but I left my car there anyway, hoping for the best.

Del Cerro is a small but relaxing park. The lawn is super green, and you can sit on benches overlooking the Portuguese Bend and the ocean.

Grass, trees and sky at Del Cerro Park.
Grass, trees and sky at Del Cerro Park.

View of Portuguese Bend.
View of Portuguese Bend.

A block away from the park is the gated entrance to Portuguese Bend Reserve. I only had an hour before the gate closed at 7pm, so I did a short walk to Eagles Rest point, which seemed to be a popular destination. There were two couples enjoying the views from this spot. With more time, one could follow the trail system down to the beaches.

View from Eagles Rest.
View from Eagles Rest.

Couple sitting on the bench at Eagles Rest.
Couple sitting on the bench at Eagles Rest.

Trail in Portuguese Bend Reserve.
Trail in Portuguese Bend Reserve.

Crossing Peacock Flat trail.
Crossing Peacock Flat trail.

According to my map, there was a loop opportunity going up a steep ridge from the main Burma Road trail. I couldn't find it though. I asked a mountain biker, who said it was called the Rattlesnake Trail. He pointed me to a spot nearby. Unfortunately I then discovered that it was closed and very overgrown. So I returned via the Peacock Flat trail instead.

Back at Del Cerro Park, I enjoyed the sunset before driving home. For dinner I ate the two mustard dogs that Ryan hadn't wanted for lunch.

IMG_20230918_185423441_HDR.jpg
Crab staredown.
Crab staredown.
Looking across cove at Flat Rock Point.
Looking across cove at Flat Rock Point.
Enjoying the rocky shore.
Enjoying the rocky shore.
Dog chasing a frisbee.
Dog chasing a frisbee.
Entering Bluff Cove.
Entering Bluff Cove.