Rubio Canyon Watershed Trail Conditions

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
David R

Post by David R »

Lone Tree Trail up to the power lines is in great shape. From the power lines up to West Fuji it felt similar as always with the contour around the peak having that short sketchy portion which is more comfortable going up then down by the drainage. From Fuji up to Panorama the route is clear and evident, I don't think this route has ever been worked and with the steepness it would be a major project to make it anything other than what it is. Castle Canyon is in excellent condition and is one of my favorite section of trail in the San Gabes. The connector from Lowe Sam Merrill to Rubio shows definite cutting throughout and trail work on the lower section. The upper section has erosion which is significant in one spot but the trail is still easy to negotiate in that section.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

David R wrote: The connector from Lowe Sam Merrill to Rubio shows definite cutting throughout and trail work on the lower section. The upper section has erosion which is significant in one spot but the trail is still easy to negotiate in that section.
That trail was brushed extensively over the last few weeks. Tread work is "in progress" (my words...Sean can maybe say more)
Sean

Post by Sean »

We just finished trimming and raking the Lower Old Echo Mountain Trail from the power lines down to Rubio. We improved the tread a bit but there are still big ruts along the upper section. Fixing the ruts is a major project. It's on the to-do list but not a priority yet.