GEM LAKES & SPECTACULAR FALL COLORS IN BISHOP

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Two weeks ago, I carpooled with a friend to Bishop. The objective was to meet a group on Saturday and hike to Gem lakes.

We arrived on Friday afternoon and first drove to McGee Creek since it was recommended. Plus we couldn't check into our hotel yet. The drive along McGee Creek road to the trailhead was spectacular. At least I thought it was until we drove around other places which were beyond amazing.

Anyways, from the parking lot the bright yellow leaves really shone through with the sunlight giving them a sun-kissed glow. We were surrounded by yellow, orange and green aspens glistening all around us. We decided not to hike the entire trail and were satisfied with the fall foliage by the creek.

The next morning we met our group at 7am. It was 42-degrees and I was in shorts anticipating the predicted warm weather. The trail was just as beautiful as I remembered it. We passed Mack, Marsh, Heart and Box lakes. We bypassed Chicken Foot lake and saved it for the return trip.

En route to Gem lakes, I lost my favorite red beanie. Yes, I was sad but excited because I had never hiked up to Gem Lakes. On previous trips I'd hiked up to Mono Pass so this was all new trail to me. By the time I reached Gem, I was freezing cold. The sun never came out but luckily my friend had an extra beanie.

Despite the cold air, we all enjoyed the scenery and sat on a huge slab of rock soaking in the views. On the opposite side of the lake was the only place I saw snow patches. The lake was really pretty glistening with a dark blue/green color.

Gem lakes is actually three lakes. We continued on a bit further to check out the others. Not as pretty as the first.

After a long lunch, we headed back the way we came with a detour to Chicken Foot lake. It was just as beautiful. Probably the best views were from above the ridge so that one can see the actual shape of the chicken foot.

Overall, a great weekend and I really enjoyed the fall colors in Bishop. It was the first time I had visited during the Fall season and it was well worth it!

We also took some sides trips which I would highly recommend:
North lake loop (rainbow street)
Silver lake
Sabrina Lake
Lower intake 2
South Lake loop
South Fork Bishop Creek (sailor falls)
20231015_104756.jpg
20231015_113731.jpg
20231013_141802.jpg
20231015_113905.jpg
20231015_115454.jpg
20231015_095722.jpg
20231013_150329.jpg
20231014_124742.jpg
20231014_110910.jpg
20231014_105437.jpg
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

The Eastern Sierras are always the real deal. Love the aspen golds and yellows. I missed them on the Wasatch this year.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. There should be a Pirate Peg Leg Lake.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Little Lakes Valley is one of the best hikes in all the sierras. If you scramble up the rocks behind that Gem Lake with the snow patch there is a hidden lake which gets hardly any visitors.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

JeffH wrote: Little Lakes Valley is one of the best hikes in all the sierras. If you scramble up the rocks behind that Gem Lake with the snow patch there is a hidden lake which gets hardly any visitors.
Darn! I'll have to check it out next time