Dumb Thoughts While Roaming

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Lately during hikes I've had the song "Roam" stuck in my head, but only the chorus, because I'm too dumb to remember all the lyrics. Actually I wasn't even smart enough to remember all of the chorus. I've had "run, if you want to" playing on repeat, when the actual lyric is of course "roam, if you want to." I just looked it up.

Sometimes, though, I think of other things ... dumb things. Feel free to share your dumb thoughts while roaming around the world. I'll start ...

I was walking down the Mt. Wilson Toll Road at night, and I thought, "I wish animal poop was luminescent, then I wouldn't have to turn on my headlamp."
David R

Post by David R »

If you're going to think about the B-52s then it has to be Rock Lobster or My Own Private Idaho. When I'm out a long time by myself in the chaparral and I see a yucca flowering stalk from a distance, I sometimes think that it is a person. I also think I hear people talking quite often especially near water. I also start talking to myself and any wildlife I see.
Sean

Post by Sean »

There's a particular lizard in a favorite spot of mine. I talk to it a lot but it never replies. I'm confident, however, that it recognizes me. When I arrive, it comes out of its hidey hole to greet me.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sometimes I try to solve for 4 unknowns with just 3 equations, in my head. It keeps me from worrying about 3-headed lizards that could be hiding in Sean's favorite spot, waiting to pounce. It also keeps me from really wasting my time trying to figure out where that spot is.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Often I encounter massive piles of fresh bear poop along the Idlehour Trail. I think, "Somebody's gonna step in that. I should move it off the trail." That's not the dumb thought, though. The dumb thought is: "I'll move it on the way out." It's dumb because the moment I think it, I know I'm not actually going to move it while heading back. I just keep avoiding it. There's this one pile that's been sitting in the trail for a month. My friend even told me that he's the one who stepped in it. Still, neither one of us has taken a minute to shove it out of the way. As far as I know, it remains in the middle of the trail to this day, in all of its squished, dried up and rained on glory.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Whenever I pass a certain mile marker on the Mt Wilson Rd, I always think of math jokes, and who got that one, who instigated?

Gene

Post by Gene »

Easy as pie to explain.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

:lol: