Boney Mountain West Ridge

TRs for ranges other than the San Gabriels. Old reports archived in subforums.
David R

Post by David R »

I remember almost exactly a year ago reading an article about a hiker missing near Boney Mountain in the Santa Monicas. It was a Monday and they had done a short search that afternoon and not found him. He had been missing since the weekend but only realized he was missing when he didn't show up for work Monday morning. I decided since I knew the area so well that I was going out to help on the search that Tuesday and took the day off from work. I quickly caught up with family members including the Mom who gave me some details of where he had been based on pictures and phone ping. I was pretty certain based on his capabilities and that info that he had hiked the West Ridge of Boney. I began up the ridge and saw the chopper flying around as I made my way up and then I saw it hovering over a certain area near the peak. I finally topped out on the ridge and saw SAR getting picked up by the chopper not a good sign. I decided to go and check out the caves by Tri-Peaks and found no sign of him. I continued on the main trail back to the cabin and met a friend of the family who confirmed he had been found at the base of the cliff near the summit. Zack Zernick was 22 when he passed away.

I have decided that near the anniversary of his passing to do this hike as a sort of memorial. It felt a bit odd doing this as the memories of the search came right back to me. As opposed to last time the route up the West Ridge was quiet only one other party was on it and I think they were turning around. The route is the perfect intro to Class 3 climbing with much of it scrambling and climbing with great foot and handholds. Looking up the ridge it looks almost impossible to get through it without technical equipment but it goes and is probably the best route in all the Santa Monicas.

I reached the summit and realized I was close to where Zack had been found. I kind of zoned out and just let the moment be. I then descended the traditional route down which is heavily eroded and requires careful concentration that you don't slip. Halfway down was where I had met Zack's classmates and had to tell them the bad news a body had been discovered. I remember the disbelief and the possibility that maybe it could be someone else's. I wasn't about to comment and destroy a hope that they wished to keep and just shrugged. I met others looking for Zack and had to keep repeating the sad news.

Zack loved the mountains and was an Eagle Scout, this hike was for you Zack and that future that sadly was never to be. I'll hopefully be up there again in 2025 same time and same place, be thinking of you Zack.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

That's really sweet of you to hike in his memory.

On a positive note, I hiked through some of those caves with my Wednesday group. It can be claustrophobic for some.
dima

Post by dima »

I'm looking at the map; where's this? Is the class 3 section between the peak at 2880 directly west to the trail at ~ 2400?
David R

Post by David R »

dima wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:45 pm I'm looking at the map; where's this? Is the class 3 section between the peak at 2880 directly west to the trail at ~ 2400?
https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recor ... ey-d9812f7
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. It sounds like a cool ridge, and it's thoughtful of you to remember Zack.