MISSING HIKER ON MT BALDY (Lifei Huang)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Sean

Post by Sean »

Only 22 years old.
The missing woman was identified as Lisei Huang, 22, from El Monte, according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department.

On Sunday, Feb. 4, deputies received a call about the missing hiker at around 11:14 p.m.

Huang headed out on a solo hike at around 2 p.m. that day. Hours later, however, loved ones had not heard from her.
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

Fortunately or unfortunately, she has been found dead. https://local.nixle.com/alert/10672951/?sub_id=0
dima

Post by dima »

The recovery flight: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... b#33f506b4

I guess she was in the canyon below the falls. Could have gone over before or after she died.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

It's always heartbreaking to hear news like this. I wonder if she was hiking up Baldy Bowl and slipped down the canyon.

The problem with SoCal is that many people underestimate the dangers of winter hiking. I'm from the NW and people there are just more cautious and prepared, probably because it snows more. I wonder if there's some sort of awareness program that could help in SoCal. It won't save everyone, but could more be done to spread the word? I was on Sunset Peak last weekend and saw a kid hiking in sneakers without a backpack in 2' feet of snow. Nobody would do that where I'm from.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Anthony wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:07 pm... saw a kid hiking in sneakers without a backpack in 2' feet of snow.
Is it possible to fix that kind of stupid? Is it worth trying?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

This was a 22 year old girl, possibly not experienced with hiking. Although it obviously a poor decision, I'm not prepared to throw up my hands and call her stupid. Parents are supposed to teach their kids outdoors common sense, but if the parents aren't outdoors people like we are, then it should probably be taught in schools. Why not?

It just seems like more could be done. I don't think SoCal has a higher percentage of lower IQ people. I think it has a higher percentage of people who have not been taught about the outdoors. Combine that with less than regular snowfall and you get trouble.

As for the experienced hikers like the actor who perished last year, well, you can't change that. But a lot of these people who get rescued or perish are just not fully aware of the dangers and how to prepare accordingly.
David R

Post by David R »

Plenty of the hikers that get lost or need to be rescued are experienced hikers. No one is talking about the three experienced hikers that had to be rescued off the Bear Canyon Trail who went hiking in this same storm. Quite often the opposite is the issue, experienced hikers who think they can deal with any situation and they can't. Also I notice elderly experienced hikers who think they have the same skill set as they did twenty years earlier getting into trouble and having to be rescued.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

David R wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:01 pm Plenty of the hikers that get lost or need to be rescued are experienced hikers. No one is talking about the three experienced hikers that had to be rescued off the Bear Canyon Trail who went hiking in this same storm. Quite often the opposite is the issue, experienced hikers who think they can deal with any situation and they can't. Also I notice elderly experienced hikers who think they have the same skill set as they did twenty years earlier getting into trouble and having to be rescued.
Yes, I wasn't saying the only people who get rescued or die are inexperienced.

The reality is, there's a lot of people that don't know the risk. They're not educated about our wilderness -- our any wilderness for that matter. We've all seen them. I have no idea what percentage of rescues and deaths they account for, but it seems like this girl was one of them from what I've read.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

To be clear, I wasn't calling this young lady "stupid". I used the example of a young person in tennis shoes traveling in 2 feet of snow to point out that there are people ( and their parents) who do stupid things and DON'T learn.

I'm sure I'm still not expressing my ideas clearly. Sorry.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

HikeUp wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:08 pm To be clear, I wasn't calling this young lady "stupid". I used the example of a young person in tennis shoes traveling in 2 feet of snow to point out that there are people ( and their parents) who do stupid things and DON'T learn.

I'm sure I'm still not expressing my ideas clearly. Sorry.
Yeah, we called him out for wearing shoes. Just a young and dumb boy who wanted to get after it. Kid didn't even have a backpack with an extra layer.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

David R wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:01 pm Plenty of the hikers that get lost or need to be rescued are experienced hikers. No one is talking about the three experienced hikers that had to be rescued off the Bear Canyon Trail who went hiking in this same storm.
True, but the difference is those guys survived. Because they were experienced. And prepared.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I don't think we know yet how prepared this young woman was, or what exactly she was attempting to do. Based on early reports, she might have taken a fall, which happens to the best of us. It was a big risk though heading up solo during a winter storm. The sort of risk I wouldn't take.