San Gabe Rescues 2024

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

I’m starting this thread so everyone can post rescues here for this year.

I saw a post by @seblasd where they rescued 6 people off baldy on the bear canyon trail: https://www.instagram.com/p/C3We2asrmrX ... BlOTQyNg==
These guys are wearing hoodies and Nike backpacks for this trek which is just insane
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

Some more screenshots from the post. They look like they are wearing vans
IMG_2004.png
IMG_2005.png
Sean

Post by Sean »

I could probably do easy winter Baldy in jeans, but not without proper socks, waterproof boots, gaiters, spikes, and a really warm jacket and face/head/eye protection. I got to 9.5k once and had to turn around because I burned through all my thick socks while postholing without gaiters. It was 5 degrees.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

This is crazy!!! People are so excited to hike Baldy in the snow and forget about the dangerous conditions that could cost them their lives. As much as I love the winter wonderland, I'm not that stupid!
Baldy Rescue
Taco

Post by Taco »

Arright imma go up there in LA flatlander idiot gear, set a speed record and then *DEBUNK* all the propaganda that says you need proper gear and training. ;-)

Man, that backpack says it all. With the Puma there I first thought it was a joke photo showing French Alpine dudes rescuing some randos in a far away place.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I read a LA Times story saying they were on the Bear Flat trail which is 3.5 miles, it didn't specify if that's one way or round trip. Their footprints were in the snow and they still got lost. It was a possible problem because the helicopter couldn't land on the west backbone area. I don't know at what point you decide to stop going up....
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I guess what I'm struggling to understand is the apparent absence of common sense. 10,000 ft. in February wearing a warm up suit, sneakers, and a shoe bag. At what stage do you say to yourself, "Gee, the snow is getting pretty deep, the wind is blowing hard, and its cold AF. Maybe we should turn back."