Dark Canyon Trail to Grizzly Flat

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yesterday Cecelia and I checked out the Dark Canyon Trail to Grizzly Flat. This singletrack begins from the ACH at Dark Canyon, climbs to Tujunga Pass (Clemens Saddle), then descends to Grizzly Flat through the Vasquez Creek watershed.

The section north of the pass was restored in the last couple years. Some parts are still narrow and slightly rough, but overall it's in good shape and easy to follow, once you find the continuance at Tujunga Pass. Hint: it's a few yards away from the more obvious trail signed 2N80A.
DSC00919.JPG
DSC00921.JPG
DSC00923.JPG
DSC00928.JPG
As we neared Grizzly Flat, the trail crossed a small, gently flowing tributary for Vasquez Creek.
DSC00941.JPG
At Grizzly Flat we hung out by a second, stronger tributary, down trail from the water tank. I tried to make noodles and hot chocolate, but my stove setup failed, so we settled for an apple and animal crackers instead.

We returned to the pass via the Grizzly Flat Road, then explored the roundabout path through the big pine trees that survived the Station Fire.
DSC00969.JPG
We also accidentally found a geocache.
DSC00975.JPG
We were the first ones to sign it this year.

Cecelia and I found many mushrooms. She will post images later. Here are a couple of mine.
DSC00931.JPG
DSC00954.JPG
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Crossing the threshold between the worlds of the Arroyo Seco and the Tujunga....