Bear Sighting on the Mt. Wilson Trail.

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
Gumby Hiker

Post by Gumby Hiker »

It was about 6:50am on Sunday, August 10. I was near the side trail that leads to the flat area that looks like a helicopter pad (between First Water and Orchard Camp). I hear a loud rustling on the hillside above the trail and stopped, knowing the noise was more then just a bird, lizard, or squirrel. Then I saw the bear run across the trail in front of me and continue down the hillside!

My first bear sighting south of the Sierra Nevada's. Too quick to take a picture...but I'm glad it continued on its way!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

How big was it? If you can describe its size and color. I saw one a few months ago a few miles north of there. It was kinda small but faster than my camera too!
Taco

Post by Taco »

Bears are awesome. What altitude were you at? I always see them at 4k or so.
Gumby Hiker

Post by Gumby Hiker »

Click to see full size image

Larger then this guy...seemed big as it was uphill from me. Brown...but that's all I can say. I saw it for 2 seconds at the most. The sound of its feet running on the rocks below the trail reminded me of the Santa Anita races.

Elevation was around 2700 feet, according to my GPS.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Gumby Hiker wrote:Image
Click to see full size image

Larger then this guy...seemed big as it was uphill from me. Brown...but that's all I can say. I saw it for 2 seconds at the most. The sound of its feet running on the rocks below the trail reminded me of the Santa Anita races.
can you imagine him running after you at that speed? :shock:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Gumby, thanks for the info on ol' smoky!
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

i have never seen a bear in the SG's. I go there every weekend from Oct-June and ive only seen <10 deer too.

earlier this summer i was in the Sierra Nevada for 4 weeks straight and did not see one bear.

usually i'll see about 2 or 3 a summer, what a bummer.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I've only seen bighorn sheep on one occasion. I see bears here every so often, and deer constantly. I guess it depends on where you go? Then again, I figure I'd see fewer bears and more rams.