Pt. 3,650 via South Ridge

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

When Sean, Jeff and I hiked out to Burnt Peak on New Years Day, we eyed the south ridge leading up to Pt. 3,650 and agreed that from that vantage point it looked doable. So last Sunday morning, I went back to test that theory.

I arrived at the entrance to Switzers around 8:45 a.m. to find the cars all up and down the road. At first, I thought I'd arrived too late, but then discovered that the road down to the day use area was closed. So everyone was forced to park up top. I parked at an open spot along the ACH and began the walk down.

There was a bunch of search and rescue activity going on up the canyon. There were several helos circling what looked the Cloudburst Canyon area and multiple S&R vehicles passed me as I was getting my gear together. I surmised that maybe the search for Zach Crehan had moved further away from Mt. Wilson, but I don't know.

Anyway, the canyon was cool and uncrowded and the walk down the Arroyo uneventful. At the junction with the trail into Bear Canyon, what few hikers there were went low as I stayed high and then I was alone on the Gabrieleno. I've always liked this stretch of trail. It offers really nice looks into Bear Canyon, the Royal Gorge, and the back side of Brown, and this day was no different.

In no time, I found myself at the toe of the southern ridge. Going south here will take you to Burnt Peak; going north leads to Pt. 3,650 and ultimately Pt. 4,202 (is that the peak known as Washburn? That has always been unclear to me). Anyway, here I had figured I would just start up the ridge before getting out the clippers further up. Instead, I was required to cut an entrance to the ridge right away as there were really no clear and easy access point.

As I ascended, I followed the path of least brush resistance, staying as much as possible on the crumbly white rock (which meant my track was not a straight line). That only worked so well, and I had to routinely cut a path through the chamise and sumac. It was a steady climb with a couple of steep and crumbly spots.

About 3/4 of the way up, there is an unnamed/unmarked bump where things flattened out briefly. I cut a path to the saddle separating this peaklet and 3,650 and then ascended a steep and loose face until I hit an impenetrable wall of brush. Dismayed, I almost gave up to come back another day because my arms were more tired than my legs from so much clipping, but I sensed I was close even though I couldn't see anything on account of how high the brush was. So after a short breather, I cut a path through the last bit of brush, swung around to the west a bit, and then popped out on top. There are two bumps a short distance from each other and I couldn't tell which of the two was the higher so I dropped my gear and scampered over to the other bump to make sure I actually made it to Pt. 3,650.

There was a triangular sign post on the first bump, but I saw not benchmark or register. In fact, I didn't see any sign that anyone had been up there is a long time. I snapped a couple of pics from the summit, drank a cold beer I had brought, and then descended the way I came.

Back on the Gabrieleno, I saw that someone had scratched "HELP" into the side of the trail. I noticed it on the way in, but didn't pay it much attention. Now I stopped and snapped a pic. I thought it odd given the location on a well maintained and traveled trail so near to a major trailhead, but then Zach Crehan came to mind. I doubt very seriously that this has anything to do with him given the location, but reported it anyway just in case.

The Arroyo was super crowded on the walk out. Back at the trailhead, the road had re-opened and every parking spot was now taken. That didn't help me much as I parked along ACH above. So I then had to endure the misery of the asphalt road walk back to my car to finish off the day.

I can't seem to upload any images right now, so I'll try to add some pics later today.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yep, that's Washburn. Thanks for the report, and for cutting trail.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

20240128_090710.jpg
I think that is 3650 in the middle
20240128_094107.jpg
Pt. 4202 from the Arroyo
20240128_095128.jpg
View into Bear Canyon from the Gabrieleno Trail
20240128_095532.jpg
Looking out to Burnt Peak
20240128_140445.jpg
The entrance to the South Ridge
20240128_102311.jpg
Conditions on the ridge
20240128_131305.jpg
Peak 4528 from the ridge
20240128_134008.jpg
Path through the last bit of brush before the summit
20240128_131319.jpg
Looking at the south ridge to Pt. 4202
20240128_131333.jpg
View west to the ACH
20240128_131348.jpg
Summit with triangular sign post
20240128_132449.jpg
North side of Brown from 3650
20240128_100148.jpg
HELP
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Wow, it looks like you did a lot of clearing! I'm not usually that ambitious, just enough to squeeze through is enough for me. Since you did the hard work it's now my kind of hike.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Brilliant. I have on my to-do list your very route, except making it a loop by continuing on from 3650 along the rollercoaster to eventually Pt 4202 and then an easy return back to Clear Creek station and the ACH. How did the route from 3650 to 4202 look? Walker, before he left us, told me he thought it would be possible. I think he might have done it, or something similar.
Screen Shot 2024-01-31 at 10.26.03 AM.png
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Nate U wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:27 am How did the route from 3650 to 4202 look? Walker, before he left us, told me he thought it would be possible.
It looked possible, but hard to say without going back for another look. There will be some additional brush, but the crux will be that rocky section just beyond 3650 that starts the ascent to 4202. I'm guessing it's class 3. Are there sections that are more than that? That's the question.
20240128_131339.jpg
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Uncle Rico wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:33 pm It looked possible, but hard to say without going back for another look. There will be some additional brush, but the crux will be that rocky section just beyond 3650 that starts the ascent to 4202. I'm guessing it's class 3. Are there sections that are more than that? That's the question.
Sounds and looks like its worth a try with the right people. The level of commitment involved is not all that great.... aka we could turn back if we need to without it being a big deal.

The other two items that intrigue me in that canyon are 3019 with its gnarly little ridge approach from the Gabrieleno trail and 3501 which I call "Bear Cub" that I was planning on doing with Walker after asking him about it from Rose peak this past summer. Walker had never done it, (about the only thing in the Arroyo Seco he *hadn't* done!) but told me he wanted to. That could be sort of an in-memorial expedition.
Screen Shot 2024-01-31 at 6.23.36 PM.png
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Sean, Jeff, and I were looking at 3501 when we went out to Burnt. It looks "gnar" as a friend of mine would say.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

We also need @dima to lead us up/down the Royal Gorge.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Nice trip! I'm still trying to find the best way to discover new posts.

Gnar was a Stillman saying right? Last I heard, he was in Montana riding out the pandemic.