Question about history of Mines in Las Flores Canyon and Pine Canyon in Altadena

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
carl swindle

Post by carl swindle »

Hi All,

I have been interested in the historical activity of some of the mines in Las Flores Canyon and Pine Canyon in Altadena. I am particularly curious about the history and the dates that the mines became active and when they closed down (especially the Golden Star Mine, Tunnel #4, and some of the other deep mines in Las Flores Canyon as well as the Surprise Mine in Pine Canyon - any mine that has cave pearls as I am curious about how old they might be). I am sure that some documentation is available, but I am not experienced in searching archives for reliable historical information about mine activity. If anyone knows were I can find such information, please let me know.

Here are some photographs I've taken over the past few moths if you'd like to see them from the inside.
IMG_0005.jpeg
Golden Star Mine Tunnel (above)
IMG_0036.jpeg
Golden Star Mine Mineral Precipitates (above)
IMG_0966.jpeg
Surprise Mine (above)
IMG_0947.jpeg
Cave Pearls in the Surprise Mine (above)
IMG_5214.jpeg
Tunnel #4 (above)
IMG_5253 (1).jpeg
Precipitate Minerals in Tunnel #4
dima

Post by dima »

Those mines are very cool. I don't know the history, but you will be hearing from jeko1034 shortly :)
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

Hello!!!!! I know all the history of these mines! I've even excavated 1 previously unknown one in Las Flores and another in Pine with the help of @1blazepatrick1 @dima @brotherbvideos and my buddy Eli. I'd love to hop on a call or meet in person to discuss the history since it's so vast. I'll send you a PM