Pirate Hikes for Pre-Schoolers

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Looks like he takes a group up there every New Year's Day.
Screenshot_20240203-055434-528.png
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

"Sand Run Canyon"
(Sand Canyon scouting)

1.25 Miles
216 ft gain

I've had on my to-do list hiking up Sand Canyon, hopefully following it all the way up to bag Magic Mountain. That 10+mile cross country hike wasn't going to happen with Forest this past Saturday, but knowing how much Forest loves exploring streams, with some fresh rain it was a good time to investigate the lower end of Sand Canyon, and the viability of getting past the little community of homes there.

Parking at Sand Canyon Rd, we made our way up the gravel wash to a lovely waterfall running over a concrete retaining wall.
IMG_3739.jpeg
As we picked our way up the poorly sorted gravels, there were numerous opportunities for throwing rocks into the pools of water. Forest would loudly request that I "throw a daddy rock!!" - aka one far larger than he could heave himself - to create the biggest, and therefore obviously best, splashes.
IMG_3744.jpeg
The wash was relatively light on mystery litter, but we did encounter a mysterious pump system that would come in handy during the dry summer months.
IMG_3745.jpeg
And Forest jumped for joy upon discovering take home-sized water towers one could fit in their very own living room.
IMG_3747.jpeg
Further up we reached the small enclave of homes, some newly constructed. There were a couple of the dreaded no trespassing signs scattered about, but I think if one keeps to the creek it would be viable to continue up into the National Forest land. We picked ourselves an orange from a tree alongside the road, and returned via the access road to our starting point.

Side note - google earth has new imagery, now from 2023!!! Look at how green everything is!!!!
Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 11.35.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 11.39.41 AM.png
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

"Deekadeekadaya"
(AKA Contract Point)

1.67 miles
881 ft of gain

The same morning we explored Sand Canyon, Forest and I also drove up to Bear Divide and up the Santa Clara Rd to check out Contract Point, an overlook I've been deterred from for the last year by road closures. The Santa Clara Rd here may be relatively low elevation compared to other areas of the the San Gabriels, but the rugged exposed topography makes you readily feel like you are in an airplane overlooking the San Fernando Valley. The weather moving in helped to give it an exposed feeling as well.

The spacious parking turnout featured some epic puddles Forest immediately immersed his feet into. (I tried to explain to him its better to get your feet wet AFTER your hike then before, but that seemed of little concern to him...)
IMG_3748.jpeg
It was a gravel road down to the antenna array, but beyond that a rough but recently trimmed use trail dropped down to a lower bench. With no switchbacks, the trail was in parts pretty steep and seasonal rain had rutted it out, making for ginger footwork, particularly when top-heavy with a preschooler on your shoulders. Things eventually leveled out on the lower bench and we made it to the overlook itself with fantastic views of the eastern San Fernando Valley. We learned on our way back that the plaque was in memoriam of fallen fire fighters from a 1966 blaze.
IMG_3758.jpeg
I also got the best view I've found of the enigmatic Pacoima Reservoir and its historic dam, with the mighty Kagel Mtn providing dramatic backdrop. I thought back to the memorable expedition Sean, Cecilia and I made to the reservoir's northern end last spring.
IMG_3760.jpeg
Forest was inspired to mimic a crow also enjoying the view. Can you tell which is which?
IMG_3761.jpeg
It was an athletic haul back up the ragged trail to the starting point, and Forest's father got his cardio in for the weekend. Forest enjoyed the ride having thankfully warmed back up to shoulder rides.
IMG_3766.jpeg
Upon reaching the antenna array again, we pass a very large contingent of wildfire brigades, gathered from all over the region. They were on a field trip of remembrance of those who died battling that 1966 blaze. Look at all of the different teams that were present:
IMG_3771.jpeg
With contract point now bagged, I've hiked just about every hike I can really find in this general area, and am excited to take Forest ever deeper into the mountains.
Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 11.36.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 11.40.29 AM.png
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

"Daintydie"

2.83 miles
2,248 ft high
718 ft of gain

The hummocky, badlands-esque Cenozoic deposits of the Santa Clarita Valley bestowed yet another delightful preschool-sized mountain to conquer in Los Pinetos Canyon just to the north of Placerita Canyon Rd.

The trailhead itself was busy, but we quickly had the place to ourselves as we took less-traveled path along the seasonal stream up Los Pinetos Canyon on a beautiful springtime Saturday.

The holocene landslide deposits were muddy at lower elevation, but Forest put his new hiking boots to good use, steadily climbing through the wildflower-speckled meadows as the path wound up the canyon.
IMG_4776.jpeg
Insects abounded in the green grasses, none more eye-catching then the tiny inimitable lady bug, worthy of closer examination.
IMG_3837.jpeg
Higher up the soil dried out, and the steeper topography revealed silty exposures of the older Miocene-age Mint Canyon Formation, comprised of sediments deposited on a lakebed 10 million years ago. This excavated remnant of a lost time and place displayed innumerable colors and textures before turning to dust at our touch.
IMG_4780.jpeg
The summit of Daintydie loomed above us, revealing itself once we had reached the ridgeline as a triangular pinnacle with cliffs comprising its north face.
IMG_3852.jpeg
The final push to the summit was off-trail, our party progressing gingerly along the steep cliff edge. Once sufficiently near Dainydie's rugged highpoint, Forest and his mother celebrated our feat with a picnic of tangerines and bubble blowing amongst the sage brush.
IMG_3840.jpeg
Even in early March the sun was bright and hot on this south-facing slope, so we returned to the trail and below the summit could look up at Daintydie's fearsome north face of truncated Towsley Formation sandstone, the same cliff-forming Miocene rock that had turned around our Oat Mtn expedition on the other side of the valley a couple weeks earlier.
IMG_3850.jpeg
We began our descent on the Nadeau Mtnway, our pace expedited by taking the form of tail-wielding dinosaurs. I refrained from breaking the news to my theropod friends that none of the sedimentary rock in the valley was old enough to contain dinosaur fossils. The sometimes vicious moral friction between whimsical parent and amateur geologist was never more acute.
IMG_3842.jpeg
Once having descended back down into Los Pinetos canyon, we followed the stream further to where it flowed beneath the road, forming a mysterious tunnel with a rippled and kinetic glossy floor.
IMG_4815.jpeg
On the other side of this enigmatic passage there lay a waterfall lively with winter rain, and Forest delighted at the sight of his silly father taking advantage of the hot SoCal sun to immerse himself in the cooling freshet at hike's end.
IMG_4826.jpeg
Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 12.34.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 12.42.11 PM.png
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Sunlessgunless
1.97 miles
568 feet of gain
2348 ft elevation

I got my first day off after working for 13 straight days, so I took advantage of it to spend time with two of my favorite things that I had been neglecting - Forest and the mountains.

I planned this hike the morning of, perusing google earth before the sun had risen for a loop that would be comfortable for Fo's current abilities but also afford his father a much-needed mountain experience without the city in sight. The valley of Gold Creek between the carpeted slopes of Yerba Buena and the ramparts of the Mendenhall Ridge would fit the bill.

The Gold Creek Rd above the Reptacular Ranch was a twisty delight for Fo, as I had to keep Sparky at high enough of a speed to not get the 2 wheel drive sub-sub-compact car stuck. At the Boulder Canyon trailhead the valley opened up before us, and I've never seen the Western San Gabriels looking so green, with our modest target for the day rising above us on the other side of Gold Creek. You can see the peak of 'Sunlessgunless' (Forest's name, not mine) directly above Forest's head here.
IMG_3873.jpeg

Speaking of Gold Creek, we soon were jumping across it, the bubbling brook looking healthy and happy with winter rain. Forest got in lots of quality rock throwing beneath the Oaks.

This area last burned in the 2017 Creek fire, and the chaparral has been mostly replaced for the time being with thick carpets of grasses and wildflowers. Beneath the green tangle Forest discovered little hidden families of toadstools warming themselves in the sun.
IMG_3886.jpeg

Mustard Green was also growing in abundance, its tiny edible yellow flowers having begun to blossom. They made for a spicy pop of flavor along the Boulder Canyon trail.
IMG_3889.jpeg

We eventually reached Boulder Canyon Rd, and used the intersection as the staging point to make the final push for our summit. The terrain had plenty of sagebrush and grasses, but the gravelly soil of the 3-million-year-old Saugus Formation kept the greenery navigable. As we pushed through the brush, Forest had his first close encounter with an appropriately Forest-sized Yucca plant. The distinctive pain of a good yucca stab is a right of passage for any San Gabriel Mtns explorer, and despite the ensuing tears I'm proud to see my son experience his first. Parental milestones.
IMG_3890.jpeg

The summit was still all Saugus Formation, as we never made it high enough out of the canyon to reach the Cretaceous igneous pluton that the San Gabriels is famous for. But the views within the amphitheater of the Gold Creek watershed were green and glorious, and we enjoyed each other's company in this peaceful spot sharing a picnic of kumquats.
IMG_3892.jpeg

We took the direct route back down to Boulder Canyon Rd, stomping and crashing through the grasses and brush. Forest pushed along behind me, working at the disadvantage of the biomass often having grown taller than he was.
IMG_3899.jpeg

The road led us again across Gold Creek, where Forest was overjoyed to stand atop a fluvial boulder of Mendenhall Gneiss that had rolled down from the namesake ridge above, this distinctive zebra-striped metemorphic Proterozoic rock being his favorite variety.
IMG_3901.jpeg

Mystery objects were few and far between on this relatively remote hike, but when they did present themselves they were of impressive size and quality, like this flatbed trailer begging to be climbed upon:
IMG_3902.jpeg

We walked the Gold Creek Rd below Cecil B. DeMille's paradise ranch back to our car, a stretch of it being recently constructed pavement with no discernible explanation. Forest's nascent legs propelled him in playful spurts through the rugged and idyllic surroundings.
IMG_3903.jpeg
Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 5.27.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 5.24.53 PM.png
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. That road can get muddy after storms. Maybe they finally paved the bad section for the ranch owner. I haven't been over that way in several months, but we used to go up that road regularly while working on the Yerba Buena Trail. The creek boasts a chorus of frogs at night.