20240324 Full Moon Baldy Bikeaneering

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Up GMR to Ridge to Baldy Road, met Dima at Wanker Flats, hike up, climb, get the hell off the very windy summit, hike down, ride home. 77 miles with 11,340ft of climbing over the course of 19 hours or so.

Here's a link to last year's full moon Baldy Bikeaneering trip report:
https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=8768

I headed out around 730 or so in the morning, picking up a sausage and bacon combo breakfast burrito at P&G Super Burger in Covina, which had an interesting flavor. Big recommend. Nice tasty start to the day. The weather called for a thunderstorm between 2-3pm, so I figured by then I'd be on Glendora Ridge Road (just Ridge from now on) or Baldy Road and would put layers on and maybe take shelter somewhere or whatever worked. There were clouds building up around the San Gabes, but nothing looked particularly strong. When I do these sorts of bikeaneering things around the Eastern San Gabes, I usually prefer to go up frontside of GMR out of Glendora and take Ridge east. It's a bit more work than the city, BUT you're not in the city! Way less traffic, way less dumb shit. You can zone out a bit and look at bugs and flowers and have a smoke break on a berm and look at the mountains instead of nearly getting creamed by some idiot in a Tesla. Seriously, it used to be Prius drivers, now it's Teslas.

On a related note, it would be nice if I could telepathically sound off a car horn in someone's car. Car horns are loud, because drivers are in cars which are quite insulated. Bikes are not insulated. If you had any idea how loud your horn was, perhaps you'd think differently. My minor illegal bike maneuver that I did to get you to honk at me was born out of the fact that following the law on a bike usually puts you in a position in which you're extremely easy to kill, and following said law is incredibly stupid. But who's gonna argue for that when everyone drives cars... it's always the cyclists fault. I can't wait to be a fossil!

Anyway, no shit there I was, in Glendora, PRIDE OF THE FOOTHILLS (or maybe that's Sierra Madre? Altadena? No, they're 'beautiful'). Certainly not Azusa. I'd say they can't spell pride but that illiterate dishonor goes to Baldwin Park. Whoa, hey now, don't talk shit on communities here man! Anyway, Glendora is the clean F250 with both a Gadsden Flag sticker as well as a thin blue line sticker on it of the cities. Bless em. I'm not as LA-ish as many so I don't dislike Glendora for being more conservative or whatever anyone will call em, but I do like how much cleaner it is than other towns. Also I figure if I lived here I wouldn't get my shit jacked, which is a big plus. I'm sure that'll all start to change once the Gold Line extension is completed. This will drop tweekers off in Glendora and I guarantee things will change. Also fun little factoid, last year I saw a hooker in Glendora, a first for me!
baldymoon.jpg
Anywho, you're here to read about some asshole riding a bike up Baldy and CONQUERING a mountain or some sorta shit like that, right? Probably not, if you've read my crap before. It's usually all comedic survival. Anyway, the ride up frontside was chill. I watched the clouds slowly build up around the higher mountains and again, they didn't look threatening. A nice young chap on a road bike passed me near the top and said "Hardcore", which was very nice. I am very slow uphill on the loaded touring bike, but not slow down! I passed him on the descent to Horse Canyon Saddle and shot up the start of ridge. I pulled over before the first downhill to stretch and have a smoke break. Too pretty out here. Spring is starting, things are starting to bloom, and it's getting colorful. Bet we'll have a shitload of flies this year. I kept on riding and passed Doug at some point, who hollered at me while I weakly replied. Guess he went up Sunset or something like that. Closer to Baldy I got the first few raindrops and was pleased with how well my idea was working out. I could stay under the porch of Baldy Lodge if there was a downpour, as I hafta stop to refill water and stretch anyway.

I refilled and stretched but it was barely raining. I was also ahead of schedule, since I had to be at Manker around 5-6pm. I didn't really wanna talk to anyone, as is often the case after a few hours alone on a bike. Just not feeling it, workin' on things in your own head. I continued up the hill, keeping it in low gear since I had some extra time. Graupel started to fall when I was slowly climbing the first switchbacks above Icehouse, and would continue on and off for a while. My super wide range drivetrain I put together was working splendidly, as I didn't have to work hard to carry all my crap up the hill. I love bikes. Anywho, the switchbacks always feel like they take forever on a loaded bike, but I still got to Wanker two hours early. It was snowing lightly, no thunder or anything dramatic, and I parked myself under some trees and changed into mountaineering clothes. I put my butt pad down and took a nap, getting up in time to leisurely pack my stuff into my tiny backpack for the climb.

Dima showed up in sandals and I complemented him on his 'drip', as the youths call it. I have been considering climbing Baldy in wintery conditions in city-person gear, maaaaybe with microspikes. I think that would make for great writing. We got our shit together and walked up the road. I hid and locked my bike somewhere nobody could possibly ever guess or see it, and we kept on truckin. Up the Ski Hut Trail with the most beautiful sunset light bathing the north side of Ontario Peak. We huddled in the vestibule or whatever of the Ski Hut and got our crampons on and all that while the wind whipped outside. We talked about bailing if things got too fancy for us, though I had already invested so much effort in getting up here that I really didn't want to. I was armed with a secret and highly illegal in California weapon specifically for this event: a balaclava. I didn't bring one last time and the wind really tore my face up. Dima fiddled with his Zippo-type handwarmer for a while, unsure of its functionality, and we stepped off. The wind was strong but not too bad, not stronger than two apes determined to place themselves in a position in which they could utter the most important phrase of all time: we out here. The stream beyond the hut is still buried in snow, and the hike into the base of the bowl is over quickly. Just like last time we went up the right side of the bowl, which gives a very consistent grade almost to the summit. The idea was to stay out of the worst of it by being sheltered by the ridge that makes up Devils Backbone, and then pop over it at the last minute to hit the summit and then just get the hell outta there.
baldymoon1.jpg
It had snowed an inch or two or so during the 'storm', just enough to cover tracks and build up in depressions. Oh yeah, and create a storm of spindrift to pelt us and make cute little mini spindrift avalanches. I was caught in a terrible avalanche about 1 inch deep. I screamed in agony as I don't have an avalanche beacon bluetooth connected to my wireless GPS hotspot powered by my fart dyno in my pants and uploaded to everyone's mom's computers so they know I'm #beingsafe. Fortunately I survived with only minor deep emotional scarring.

It was real windy in the Bowl so we spent a fair bit of time looking down to keep the ice crystals from abrading our beautiful faces. The full moon lights everything up so you don't need a headlamp, save for the few times clouds cover the moon and everything is a deep grey-white color and depth perception goes away. Thankfully I was a little tired or sore or something from the 10,000ft of gain I already had under my belt so I just stopped and breathed while staring at my undersized Italian ultralight alpine boots, the moonlight casting a pale glare upon their melted Lego man camouflage pattern. Repeat as necessary while inching closer to the summit. The terrain eases off which makes us faster but does the same for the wind. Last year I walked backwards the last few hundred feet to the summit to keep the wind at my back. I employed a variation of this special technique this time, walking a little sideways past two signs to the top, which is still covered in a lot of snow. We cheered, and I moved towards the north face to see how that looks (it looks full). Then we got the hell outta there. We beelined down Devils Backbone to Baldy Harwood saddle, then down into the bowl. At one point I looked up towards the summit and not far from me was a snownado, the first I'd ever seen. It was pretty beefy looking, like a huge ghostly dust devil, and I thought I should go grab that scrawny Fir tree over there and hang on. It dissipated shortly thereafter and we continued on. Not far below we were caught in a snownado! It spun around us with the ice crystals flickering in the moonlight, showering us with spindrift, more playful than painful. How cool is that?
baldymoon2.jpg
We made our way to the hut and started down the trail. Kept on keepin' on and made it to the road where we said yay and kept going. I went to grab my bike and Dima headed out for home. I figured the road would be a little icy so I figured it would be a slow descent for me, and I was right. After I repacked all my stuff I walked my bike down the snow-free road to Manker, which had some icy sections on it. I've neglected to order new brake pads for my cantilever brakes and thus my bike doesn't exactly stop so well. I ride this bike whenever it rains so the pads are even more worn down than usual. I went very slowly down Baldy Road, stopping at the end of many of the switchbacks to feel how hot the rims were getting from riding the brakes. I repeated this until Icehouse, where the road straightens a bit and you can get goin real fast but have much longer and less-steep braking zones. I gained confidence as I descended, knowing that the road was just wet and not icy. I also had new Panaracer Gravelking tires on, and I've found they're a bit slippery at first, so I was being extra careful. I got a little extra water at the lodge and continued down the hill, deciding to take Baldy Road instead of Ridge so I could get some food somewhere.

I couldn't find anything open at 1:30 in the morning that I wanted out there so I just kept going. I eventually stopped at Donut Man in Glendora where there was no line since it was 2am. There's always a huge line here so I rarely go in. Got me a chocolate bar which was real tasty, and kept on goin. Got home a little before 3am for about 19 hours door-to-door. Today I'm not sore or anything, but I'm not doing anything athletic so who knows. I heard everyone got a hell of a storm in the city but we didn't experience much, except I guess for intense winds, some snow, and two snownadoes.

Dima took way better photos than I did so maybe he'll throw a couple more up.

Until next year...
dima

Post by dima »

What Taco said. Conditions were much more exciting than the last time, so the camera mostly stayed sheathed. The cold and the wind were just silly. We both started hiking wearing down jackets, and it was never too much. Like Taco said, the wind pushed the snow around a lot, creating flurries that I really liked to watch. From a bit below the lip of the ridge to the top they weren't "flurries" anymore, and it was more of a blizzard. This was a bit of what I always imagined climbing Denali would be like. I had doubts about being able to/wanting to summit, but it only became real bad near the top. I also really liked watching the clouds directly in front of us, instead of their more traditional location above us. The best were those clouds that passed directly in front of the moon. The wind pushed them around quickly, and you'd clearly see the shadow move quickly across the snowscape.

At the bottom, the San Antonio falls looked like they don't belong here:

As we climbed up, the ridges to the SE showed off their snow-covered gullies

And we could see the bowl, full of snow

Then the sun started to set

Ryan already gained tons of elevation, but he wasn't anywhere near done

Then the sun set, the moon came out, and it was too cold and windy to futz with the camera

Good stuff!
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Was it actively snowing much or was the snow in the air what had already fallen, and was getting blown around by the wind?

Awesome stuff, mad respect.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report! I think you need skis for your bike.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Dudes! I don't even have words for this kind of adventure. You guys should contact Jimmy Chin to document your next Baldy Bikaneering Blowout. Might win an oscar!

Except for the cool snownados, it sounded quite miserable and difficult, but quite an achievement. Thanks for the report and photos. Now I'm cold from reading it.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Gracias.

Nate, it was snowing when I was napping at the trailhead, but I believe it stopped as we were hiking up. After that it was spindrift, just snow on the ground blown back into the air.