Liebre Mtn as an eventuality

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Hehe...ugh, what a drive. And I only have one measly pic to show for it. :)

06-APR-2024

Plan A: I tried again, and was thwarted again, to do the Warm Springs Mtn loop north of Castaic Lake. Water is still too high. My prior fail was a safety concern (water was really bad), but yesterday the river level was 'you can probably wade that' and I'd have to repeat 4 times, and remain soaked in 10C/50F with a stiff breeze all day, with a final swim in the evening if I managed to complete the loop.

Plan B: I heard something about Whittaker Lookout, vaguely recall it was below Pyramid Lake, and I'm already off the freeway at that locale. I managed to pass the road to Whittaker thinking it looked very private ranch. I did the short road ride to the dam, and obtained the only interesting pic of the day, returned to the gate and got to watch USFS hassle subsistence fishermen over the $5 to park at a campground they can't use (Frencmens Flat, closed), hike on a road that was built by the state before we were born, and fish for possibly polluted trout to feed their starving families...ugh! (Sorry, Taco, not trying to edge in on your schtick!)

Cool seasonal waterfall and bridge at the foot of Pyramid Dam

Plan C: OK, Liebre, I guess. Shoulda done that in the first place. But it's nice. So nice. Oh, so so so nice! I really enjoy the break point from desert SoCal to gentle, forested, ranchable CentCal. The road up Liebre is currently being graded and very easy going. I hit some snow melt up on the top, and some mushy sections. It's been about a decade since my last visit, and I think there's supposed to be a radio tower up there? Gone. I stopped for turn-around at what I supposed was Liebre summit. Chowed some oatmeal-cherry-walnut cookies my wife made (YAYAYA), turned around to look at a pile of rocks...hmmm... Yep, that's the summit can. And whaddaya know! Eis Piraten sticker!!! :) I signed 5 April by mistake, but time is a blur when you get up in the years a bit.

For wildflower enthusiasts: the lower switchbacks on Liebre were just starting bloom, with something bright yellow I don't recognize. The lupine and poppies will explode on this slope over the next 3 weeks. This is a huge vertical canvas that goes nuts with color! It's one of the best locations to photograph, and at the moment is very lush and green. If you want to shoot poppies without a bunch of people in the background... ;) ;) nudge-nudge "Say n'more!"
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Oh what an adventure! It sounds like a nice loop even though you only have one picture.
I hiked Libre Mtn and now I want to go back for the wildflowers. Happy you made it back home safely.

Libre Mtn
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

BTW, I placed the Eispiraten sticker 😆 🤣
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. Pro tip: if you wade the river naked, you'll have dry clothes for the rest of the trip.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Those stickers are like the secret glyphs used by the transients in that one Sherlock Holmes story. Guy leaves a certain glyph on a friendly house, and fellow travelers know a warm meal and possibly more is available if you put in the effort to ask. You see that sticker, and you can almost smell the grilled cheese. :)

Sean wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:55 am Thanks for the report. Pro tip: if you wade the river naked, you'll have dry clothes for the rest of the trip.
Well, I was...er... LOOK OVER THERE! SASQUATCH!!!!!
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Tom Kenney- you are right. I can almost smell the grilled cheese when I see a sticker 😆 🤣 😂