Bike-ish Traverse of Warm Springs Mtn

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Long ago, two kids accosted me for my chocolate. It was a Toblerone bar, "dark chocolate" I said. They pressed. I gave them each a chunk and went about my business. Thirty minutes later I return to the scene to find 2 chunks of melting gold lying on the pavement...kids off to their next con.

Well, I'm the kid now. I've been nearly obsessing over this route since January. I tried twice to get at it, denied by high water outright, then cold temps that made wade-or-swim ill advised. This past Saturday (20-APR-2024) weather improved and made the cold river crossing a delightful extra. I arrived at a busy trailhead, end of Templin Highway, and set about riding up-canyon. There are several mandatory stream crossings before reaching Cienega Campground, and one after. As I rode up the canyon, I passed several groups of hikers. The largest group was peppered with 50-80-somethings encumbered with bird-watching gear. One of the old greybeards was eyeing my bicycle in a rather covetous manner.

Here's a bit of the trail/road leading up to the narrows.

This is the start of the narrows, looking back downstream. These are deep holes, looked great for a plunge.

View upstream at the same spot, nice waterfall...in the middle of the road! :lol:

Ford west of Cienega CG

I passed the last hiker wading down the concrete road-stream-bed in the narrows, and saw no other people the rest of the day. Above the narrows are a few more crossings before Cienega, which is quite a peaceful flat. The campsite, apparently the only remaining in proximity to the 2 dead outhouses, is located trailside, and within 100m of Fish Creek coming in from the north. It's a lovely campsite!

Cienega Campground

Past the camp, the road continues to a junction at Warm Springs Divide. This segment is steep and exposed, but has nice flat sections with some shade and seasonal springs. The mudholes at the springs all had big bear tracks going both ways. From the saddle up to the summit, it is a switchback climb much like San Gabriel roads. If one were blindfolded and dropped there unawares, it might take a while to realize you weren't in Tujunga. Most of the road is in good shape, but there is a big washout with a trail-width remaining, and several crevasse-like ruts.

The ridge top is very pleasant, and has a nice mix of the 3 main conifer branches: jeffrey, juniper, and doug fir. There are some nice bivi sites along this road.

I visited the summit, signed in and took a short break before swerving into the unknown. The Necktie Basin Truck Trail branches southwest below the summit, so I backtracked the short distance and headed...that way...

Necktie Basin, looking at Warm Springs Mtn summit

Going was quite nice at first. I saw motorcycle tracks, not too old, which was encouraging. Nearly every bit of road surface was overgrown with flowers as I passed through Necktie Basin. This is an odd flat that appears to have 2 drains. It's high desert, with yucca, sage, grass, lots of flowers. There is a spot with some large cottonwood trees and a spring, but I didn't see any signs of old homestead or corral or such. The road eventually bends back toward the east and climbs to gain a long ridge. More seasonal springs are passed...with more bear tracks.

Bear tracks on the ridge route, my tire tracks are ~62mm/2.4in

Things got quite ugly here. Though this is alleged to be a 'trail' it really seems like a simple blade cut with a Cat and a cable rig. Much was unrideable, and I walked down about as much as I rode. Overgrowth hid large ruts, and possible rattlesnakes. Odd that I should pass a 'beached' Toyota Corolla at the halfway mark. How the f#(~ do you get a Corolla here without assistance of a helicopter?!?!? I saw that Corolla on the Goggle Earth satellite image, and I assumed it was somebody parked there at time of filming. Another enticing morsel of dark chocolate to mislead this old fool.

I finally juncted with the northside Castaic Lake Road, passing spur roads to the old picnic areas, now gone feral with beautiful walnut groves. More up and down, more delay, ugh! I had expected to be done a bit earlier. It was nearing sunset, and I still had the last water barrier to pass, the combined flow of the various Castaic forks. This bit of psychological pressure was wrapped in something a little more abstract. I have a deep fear of large man-made waterworks. The road back had me passing the Elderberry Forebay and the huge penstocks on the west side of the canyon. I rode on in the deepening shadows of evening, averting my eyes from that terrible mass of water that isn't supposed to be in this canyon. That place is scary, in a way I can't really relate to others. I hope this doesn't rub off on anyone else, because I don't even like boats much anymore.

Safely past the waterworks, I managed to wade the final stream ford without mishap, disturbing a bathing duck as I approached. Empty trailhead, less a feeling of satisfaction and more that of survival. This was about the closest I get to Type II Fun these days.

For the bike-curious, here's my current mule, 'Gerhard Berger' of Ferarri F1/86 fame. It's an odd duck, focus is on durability and minimal mechanical issues. Also, Ghost is a German brand, Berger was an Austrian. Don't care, it's my fantasy.
dima

Post by dima »

Epic!!! Did you "ride" the whole "Warm Springs-Necktie trail" as it appears on the old usgs quads? The aerials show that there's a firebreak on that ridge most of the way, but towards the bottom, at 2600ft the firebreak splits off to go E, but the trail goes W. The trail isn't visible on the aerials anymore at all. You just followed the fire break? How much did you walk?
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

This is my ride log at TrailForks

I walked down about half, including the 'up' over several peaklets. It's jeep width the whole way, but very overgrown in places and very rutted in places, and just brutally steep. On the recent Goggle Earth images, it's barely visible in places, snaking across the fire break. This is the Corolla on the ridge, beached on the embankment. Looks like '86-'88 vintage. If you zoom out, you can follow the blade cut that looks fresh in places at time of filming. Everywhere you see a vague deviation from the fire break, that's the trail rounding a minor bump. Yes, west from the ridge split.

EDIT: I see what you're saying, after a closer examination of the USGS. The old trail is definitely gone, and there is a faint purple revision line that follows the ridge I took, ending in a short switchback.

It's a weird route down. I'd only repeat if I know they've cleared it. It's one of those descents where you feel like you're falling out of the sky, pretty cool.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thank you for the report, and congrats on overcoming your fear. Was that bear print huge? It looks huge in the photo.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Sean wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am Was that bear print huge?
I'd say about average adult. I've seen bigger...and been worried. :) The tracks I saw closer to Cienega may have included a mother-cub pair.