Sugarloaf, Ontario Peak 11-8-07

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Did a nice solo loop yesterday in the Ice House canyon area. When I got to the parking lot at 6:30am it was closed, so I parked on the street. At the trail head there were signs saying "No Entry". I assumed they just hadn’t removed the signs yet. I climbed up Falling Rock Canyon towards Sugarloaf. I left the canyon when it started to head in a more easterly direction and climbed up the scree slope towards the saddle. Once I reached the saddle it was an easy walk up to Sugarloaf. I then backtracked down to the saddle and took the ridge between falling rock and cherry canyons up to Ontario Peak. I took the regular trail back to Icehouse saddle and then down to the parking lot. I didn’t see another person until I was with in 2 miles of the parking lot. I got back to the parking lot about 1pm and the forest service had removed all the "No Entry" signs. Gps recorded the hike at 9.25 miles with 4200' gain

Taco

Post by Taco »

How are the views up on Sugarloaf?

SOunds like you had the place to yourself, till the end. 8)
JayO

Post by JayO »

Did you get a permit or just wing it?

Are you still thinking of doing the 5 peak loop someday?

How was the climb up Falling Rock?
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Taco, the views from sugarloaf are ok. You get a good look at San Antonio Canyon. There was a thick fog at about 3000' feet, so I couldn't see much to the west.

JayO, I should have called in for a permit, but I decided to do this hike at the last minute. I was short on time on Thursday so I couldn't do the whole loop. I think my buddy and I are going to do it on the 18th. Falling Rock Canyon was fun. The first mile or so is the best part, as you can see from the profile its a real butt kicker after that all the way to Ontario.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Thanks. This one's on my list soon.
dhstein31

Post by dhstein31 »

Had hiked the reverse of this one last year and added Cucamonga and Big Horn to this list. Ice House- Cucamonga, Big Horn, Ontario, SugarLoaf and Down. That scree slop up to the SugarLoaf summit had to be TOUGH --------- going down it was almost like glisading.

D