Lets talk sleeping pads

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

yobtaf wrote: Kinda looks like a cheech and chong prop
:lol:
Tim

Post by Tim »

That Instaflator is pretty clever! I went to my local Leslie's Pool Supply store and they had them on clearance for $.99.

Mine weighed 1.6 oz by itself and 1.8 oz total with the adapter piece that goes on the sleeping pad valve.

It took me 1 and 1/2 length of Instaflator to fill up my Pacific Outdoor Insulmat. It was definitely a lot less work than huffing and puffing, but I noticed two things: if you like a firm pad, you have to add that last bit of air the old fashioned way. The Instaflator isn't rigid enough to exert enough air pressure to firm up the pad. Secondly, the plastic is pretty thin, almost the same as a grocery bag so I'm not sure how durable it will be. The lightness of the plastic does make it easy to fill up the bag with air, but I'm worried about ripping it or puncturing it.

But hey, it's $.99 so I can't complain too much. The biggest benefit is not putting all that moisture into your sleeping pad.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Tim wrote: The biggest benefit is not putting all that moisture into your sleeping pad.
Yeah, you might have a point there.

With a "traditional" (self inflating) Thermarest, I just store it with the valve open.

It's my NeoAir that I wonder about about. You can't air them out as easily. What's the impact of the moisture inside?

HJ
jfr

Post by jfr »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Tim wrote: The biggest benefit is not putting all that moisture into your sleeping pad.
Yeah, you might have a point there.

With a "traditional" (self inflating) Thermarest, I just store it with the valve open.

It's my NeoAir that I wonder about about. You can't air them out as easily. What's the impact of the moisture inside?

HJ
The biggest impact of moisture condensing inside would probably be the growth of mold. Most molds are harmless. Some fuzzy mold might improve the insulating R-Value. :) Pure water wouldn't grow mold on the pure plastic interior of the neoair, but a tiny bit of protein (etc.) from the accidental introduction of saliva might help foster some growth near the valve area.

A good way to get rid of the moisture would be to inflate it with an instaflator at home on a nice dry day, let it get hot in the sun to help evaporate any liquid water that is inside (don't over-inflate and explode your pad), then let out the warm moist air. Rinse and repeat until you feel that it's dry inside. I suppose that you could weigh it on a very sensitive scale if you are truly obsessed. And this way you can blow it up the old fashioned way while backpacking and thus avoid carrying the extra ounce or two of the instaflator's weight.

Like HJ says: When it comes to lightweight backpacking, there are "ounce-counters" and "gram-weenies." The instaflator is in the ounce-counter camp, while the water weight in the pad is more in the gram-weenie range.
My hiking trip reports: https://hikingtales.com/
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Just a status update of sorts:

Slept on my NeoAir the last two weekends in a row (French Gulch for two nights and Little Basin for two nights). Great pad as always. I've useed a Thermarest product of some type since 1987 and the NeoAir is by far the most comfortable I've slept on. Wish I'd gotten the full length though. Saving one ounce by going with a 3/4 length isn't worth the 1 oz savings.

HJ
rebo

Post by rebo »

:lol:
Neo Air is super crinkly sounding.. It surpasses the sound of the old squeeky spring mattresses and the price is prickely....
I have both the 4 season core-light and 3 season core-light by thermarest. No crinkly noises when turning over.
The 3 season core-light is lower to the ground then the 4 season core-light. The 4 season gives much more on temp when packing a lighter weight and temp sleeping bag or quilt ...the price is still a thermal price which is how they got their name Thermacost...lol....
[/i]
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

Always like reading about others choices.

To toss it out there, I picked up a Nemo Astro Insulated pad recently and it's really working for me. It's 2.5" with an R value of 4 and comes in at 24 ounces. Easy to inflate, quick to deflate and no "crinkling" sound which I love. It does have a built in pillow which some might not like but it works for me.

Nemo is making some really good stuff but it's costly. I got this on sale at Campsaver and, as long as it shows some durability, has been a really good buy.