Old Mt. Wilson Trail

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

This is a message I got from the City of Sierra Madre

Plan accordingly....

Matt

"The Skyland Slope Restoration Project will be starting today, December 2, 2008 on the Mt. Wilson Trail. The restoration project will be headed by the California Conservation Corps with the help of the Sierra Madre Search and Rescue. Due to the nature of the project, the Mt. Wilson Trail will be closed weekdays for the next two months. The Mt. Wilson Trail will be accessible on the weekends and holidays. Thank you for your understanding."
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Interesting. I hadn't heard about the project before. I found this on the web:
The City of Sierra Madre has developed and coordinated a project to address the potential debris flows that may affect a number of residents on Skyland Dr. and other areas within the upper canyon. The Santa Anita Fire in April revealed the condition of numerous bulkheads that were placed on the hillside after a 1978 fire. These bulkheads, which consist of surplus military shelving and poles drilled into the mountain, proved to be in very poor shape after thirty years of retaining debris. Virtually all of these structures revealed that they had reached their capacity for holding sediment and many were in disrepair. In order to reduce the potential for damage from falling bulkheads and debris the accumulated debris behind the bulkheads is to be removed, then the bulkheads themselves will be taken off the slope. City staff was able to find funding for the project and an organization that was willing to take on the difficult tasks of this hillside maintenance work. The California Conservation Corps has agreed to handle the job with the use of two 12-person teams. Due to the inherent danger of the steep hillside and lack of footing, the Sierra Madre Search & Rescue team has graciously volunteered to provide assistance. The Search & Rescue team has made recommendations for ropes, harnesses, and equipment for each of the Conservation workers in order for them to safely conduct their work. The Search & Rescue team is also providing hands-on training to each of the workers on how to properly and safely use the equipment, and has provided valuable first-hand knowledge of our local hillside conditions to the Conservation Corps as the methodology is being finalized. This project will begin when the safety of the Conservation Corps workers can be assured and the final logistic details of removing so much debris from the very steep hillside has been completed. The project is expected to take a couple of months, and may require the closure of the Mt. Wilson Trail for certain periods of time. Residents may soon look towards our hillsides with fascination as these dedicated men and women work to complete this project. These 24 workers will literally be hanging off the side of the Skyland slope removing debris that may otherwise travel down the slope to our neighborhoods. If you have any questions regarding this project, please feel free to call the City of Sierra Madre Public Works Department at 626-355-7135.
I actually think it's good that they're going to remove the bulkheads. I've always thought they were ugly, and in heavy rain, the bulkheads themselves might cause a lot of damage.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote:I actually think it's good that they're going to remove the bulkheads. I've always thought they were ugly, and in heavy rain, the bulkheads themselves might cause a lot of damage.
Ugly indeed...
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

From the City of Sierra Madre

"The Mt. Wilson Trail will be open on weekdays due to a change in the work schedule of the California Conservation Corps. The Mt. Wilson Trail will be subject to intermittent closures Monday through Thursday for the next two months.
Please use alternate trials out of Chantry Flats or Bailey Canyon during closures. "
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

to summarize: the trail will be open...except when it's closed :?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

JMunaretto wrote:to summarize: the trail will be open...except when it's closed :?
On the third Sunday following the closest equinox to the last lunar eclipse.
whatmeworry

Post by whatmeworry »

FYI - The City of Sierra Madre has closed the Mt. Wilson Trail due to a large rockslide just below the switchbacks.

The volunteers who maintain the trail are putting together a plan to clear the slide and get the trail reopened, but for safety reasons the public is asked to honor the closure. Charlie Bell will be coordinating the clean-up efforts and I'm sure would accept help if offered.

The City has indicated that they will cite anyone caught violating the closure.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for posting this!

Do you or does anyone have contact info for Charlie Bell?
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

Wow, thanks for the information. I was even considering hiking it in 9 hours. I would also like to help clear the trail if possible.
whatmeworry

Post by whatmeworry »

I'm not sure how Charlie wants people to contact him - you may want to check with the City of SM and see if they have a preferred contact method for him.

If you can't find contact info let me me know and I'll get you something...

FYI - Some work has already been done as of today (Sunday). A few more days of work and the trail should be in pretty good shape at the slide.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Try Sierra Madre Search & Rescue for contacts. They can take your info for the regulars on the Mt. Wilson Trail crew...

http://smsr.org/
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

HikeUp wrote:Thanks for posting this!

Do you or does anyone have contact info for Charlie Bell?
He's still hiding from Kobe Bryant.

....whoops, wrong Charlie Bell!
whatmeworry

Post by whatmeworry »

A crew is going up to work on the trail tomorrow (Wed).

Bring work gloves, lunch/water, etc.

Meeting at the trailhead at 8:30.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the info.
whatmeworry

Post by whatmeworry »

The trail is open. Big thanks to everyone that pitched in to help clear the trail.

From the city....

The Mount Wilson Trail is now open to the public as of Wednesday, December 23, 2009. Please note the trail is subject to closure due to weather conditions or unforeseen natural occurrences. Please contact the Sierra Madre Police Department at 626-355-1414 for up to date trail status.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Does anyone know if these have reopened? Or is it still just too darn "unsafe"? :roll:
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

I'm pretty sure the "Grim Reaper" has gone to other places to stalk hikers!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I'm planning on heading up those trails this Saturday, so I'll be driving by them late this afternoon to check their status.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

As of Wed. 17th 5:00 pm both trails were open. :o
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Thanks for checking, and reporting H.U.!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

That's what Taco pays me for! :idea:
lakenyon

Post by lakenyon »

Can someone enlighten me as to why the Old Mt. Wilson Trail is currently closed? I couldn't find discussion of this elsewhere in the forum.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

lakenyon wrote:Can someone enlighten me ...
No. It's a mystery. :)

I think the City of Sierra Madre is in charge of opening and closing the Bailey Canyon Trail and Mt. Wilson Trail, as well as the gate on the road up to Chantry Flat. Emphasis on the "I think" - who the hell really knows?

Anyway, the Sierra Madre website says the trails are open at the time of this post! So...there you go.
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

What Hikeup said!

The City of Sierra Madre is in charge of the trailheads, including the gate to Chantry Flats road.
Their website is very often not up to date. It may say that the trails are still closed, when in fact they have been opened.
I think part of their concern is the adjacent canyon areas where they are having mudslides, evacuations and that sort of thing. Also, there have been some recent washouts along the trails. No big deal, but probably a liability concern.
In 1994 a father and son died in a flash flood/debris flow in Bailey Canyon. I think that is why they close Bailey when it rains.
Whatever the reasoning, they are not shy about closing the trails, unfortunately.
Taco

Post by Taco »

HikeUp wrote:That's what Taco pays me for! :idea:
Hey, don't let anyone else in on the massive amount of currency we receive!
lakenyon

Post by lakenyon »

Thanks. The trail was definitely closed on Sunday. I thought perhaps the trail had been washed out, but maybe the city only feared that would happen. Too bad: it's much nicer than the toll road.
DrLWC

Post by DrLWC »

With Mt Wilson being right on the fire line, it's a bit hard to figure out what areas/trails were either scorched or destroyed by rain/mud and which ones are still good for and open to hikers. Does anyone have recent information or experience on Mt Wilson? I'm esp. interested in trails like the Old Mt Wilson trail (Sierra Madre), Winter Creek, and Sturtevant (e.g. Hiles 44 and 45 in Robinson's book).

Thanks!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

DrLWC wrote:With Mt Wilson being right on the fire line, it's a bit hard to figure out what areas/trails were either scorched or destroyed by rain/mud and which ones are still good for and open to hikers. Does anyone have recent information or experience on Mt Wilson? I'm esp. interested in trails like the Old Mt Wilson trail (Sierra Madre), Winter Creek, and Sturtevant (e.g. Hikes 44 and 45 in Robinson's book).
I have hiked up Mt. Wilson four times since the Station Fire. The Old Mt. Wilson Trail is fine, as are Sturtevant and Upper Winter Creek. Also, Mt. Zion, etc. The trail to Newcomb Pass is closed.
simonov

Post by simonov »

AlanK wrote:I have hiked up Mt. Wilson four times since the Station Fire. The Old Mt. Wilson Trail is fine, as are Sturtevant and Upper Winter Creek. Also, Mt. Zion, etc. The trail to Newcomb Pass is closed.
Want to take the kids to Sturtevant Falls this Saturday. No problem with that?
Nunc est bibendum
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

simonov wrote:
AlanK wrote:I have hiked up Mt. Wilson four times since the Station Fire. The Old Mt. Wilson Trail is fine, as are Sturtevant and Upper Winter Creek. Also, Mt. Zion, etc. The trail to Newcomb Pass is closed.
Want to take the kids to Sturtevant Falls this Saturday. No problem with that?
No problem at all. Well, except for parking at Chantry Flats, which is the same as always.