Angeles National Forest to Remain Closed this Weekend

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Not that this is a big surprise, but:
Angeles National Forest to Remain Closed this Weekend
NEWS RELEASE
USDA Forest Service
Angeles National Forest
Date: October 31, 2007 Angeles National Forest
701 N. Santa Anita Avenue
Arcadia, CA 91006 (626) 574-5200
www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
or Kathy Peterson 626) 574-5208

Angeles National Forest will continue the Temporary Emergency Closure through the Weekend

ARCADIA, Calif. - As a result of extreme fire danger, and to protect public health and safety, Angeles National Forest officials will continue the temporary emergency Forest closure for awhile longer. The closure became effective last week on October 23, 2007 and it is projected to last until conditions have improved.

“It is our intent to get the Forest re-opened to the public as soon as possible,” Jody Noiron, Forest Supervisor, said. “However, with the extreme fire danger, ongoing fires in Southern California and the predicted strong weekend winds, we need to make public health and safety our primary concern. We will reassess the situation early next week to see if things have changed so that we can lift the closure.”

Individuals or organizations holding special use permits for sanctioned activities within the Forest are exempt from this order.

While the closure is in effect, going into or being upon National Forest System lands, roads, or trails within the Angeles National Forest is not allowed. The closure will affect the use of all National Forest recreational facilities, roads and hiking trails. Violators are subject to fines and/or imprisonment.

Most County roads and state highways, such as the Angeles Crest Highway (Hwy 2), will remain open to through traffic. However, Glendora Mountain Road (GMR) is closed from Big Dalton Road to East Fork. The Glendora Ridge Road is closed from the junction with GMR to Mt. Baldy Village. Chantry Road is also closed.

For more information on the closure on the Angeles NF, please contact one of the offices listed below or visit the Forest website at www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles.

Forest Supervisor’s Office, Arcadia (626) 574-1613
Los Angeles River Ranger District, Tujunga (818) 899-1900
San Gabriel River Ranger District, Glendora (626) 335-1251
*Note: The Santa Clara Mojave Rivers Ranger District which was located in Saugus, CA was destroyed in the Buckweed fire and a temporary office will be re-established soon.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

i really miss the mountains
im having a bad week and need a hike
i dont have enough cash to make it to lone pine
i guess either i'll sneak on a trail or get drunk
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I spoke with the ranger's office at Crystal Cove State Park in Laguna Beach. They have reopened. We do an 8 mile loop around the park perimeter. Note that is does cost $10 to park.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

friendowl wrote:i really miss the mountains
im having a bad week and need a hike
i dont have enough cash to make it to lone pine
i guess either i'll sneak on a trail or get drunk

Yo, bro, take heart; all is not lost. Check out this post https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=93
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I guess Crystal Cove was spooked by the Santa Ana winds forecast which never seemed to materialize. We pulled up to the park entrance to find it gated shut. Fortunately, Laguna Coast Wilderness Park was open.
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

Ok, so is the entire southern half of California still closed or what?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Still no word on opening the Angeles or San Bernardino National Forests or Mt. San Jacinto State Park. The Cleveland National Forest announded an extended closure last Friday, but that is hardly surprising given the fire damage they experienced.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

The ANF website doesn't shed much light on the issue. It just says:
Angeles National Forest Emergency Fire Closure Continues
As a result of extreme fire danger, and to protect public health and safety, Angeles National Forest officials will continue the temporary emergency Forest closure implemented on October 23, 2007. The closure will last until conditions have improved. Individuals or organizations holding special use permits for sanctioned activities within the Forest are exempt from this order.
(bold italics added for emphasis)

They do list a couple of contacts if anyone wants to call:
or Kathy Peterson 626) 574-5208
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

The bottom of my feet itch. What gives?
Maxwell's Demon

Post by Maxwell's Demon »

HikeUp wrote:The bottom of my feet itch. What gives?
Try this:
http://www.tinactin.com/

:D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Just try a little of this: Image
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks Dr. Jim.

It seems Maxwell might be a quack. :D
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

Dust off your hiking boots!
Finally some GOOD news. San Bernardino is lifting their forest closure beginning this Thurday, 11/7.

http://www.sgwa.org/

Wahoo!!