WEBSITES - Post links to useful websites!

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

TacoDelRio wrote:Simonov, I didn't even see your post at the end of page 1! Sorry I missed it! Excellent post.

I'd like to consolidate stuff on here. I am a big organisation-kinda-guy though, so for myself, it's either a handfull of seperate subforums, or a shitload of stickies (think, current conditions, etc). I do feel that we can lump MOST stuff together, though. That said, I like how you go exactly where you want. Plus, this keeps Fight On in off-topic, for the most part. :lol:
Hey I'm famous now. I have a following! I read on a post that I would be missed if I stopped posting! :oops: My public. They need me! Hello out there in internet land! oh yoo hoo my one and only fan! I won't let you down! I'll keep fighting for our cause. (will you pm me and tell me what it is please)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

FIGHT ON wrote::lol: I just noticed something on that forum, what is a Moderator? AlanK is the Moderator. :lol: I've seen two on the san j forum but what do they do? :lol: moderate? moderate what? never saw them do anything. most of the time one guy is never around. everybody is always looking for him. :lol: I do like KathyW but seriously what are they for?
what a joke! :lol: Taco. you should put me as Moderator!!!!!!!!!!! I would be proud.
FIGHT ON? "Moderate?" :lol: We'd to create a new section: "WAY off topic." :lol:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

simonov wrote:I say we give FIGHT ON his own subforum.
Yes, the "GU fetish forum: 1001 things to do with GU!"
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Maxwell's Demon wrote: Okay, that was a little harsh for a friendly forum (although a sarcastic joke), but would you agree that you took it a step further by talking about his son?
Nope! It was a test. I was actually hoping he would "find" some reason, ANY reason to NOT to agree.
And he did!
Using his son (and hiking right behind him) on that trail to show why it should remain unclear is a ridiculous example. Even if his son went solo and managed to find his way back doesn't prove anything. People get lost because there is no clear way up and back from the shelter. period. It's not right that selfishness is taken that far. Have you read his posts on leaving an itinerary? He doesn't. Calls it "tempting fate"??????? :shock: HE'S MARRIED AND HAS CHILDREN! HELLO? ANYBODY HOME? noooooooooooooooooooo!
ding dong nobody home. Check out his posts. I mean that stuff is bad enough for a single guy but you just don't do that when you have a family. sad thing really.
Taco

Post by Taco »

NO PROGRESS IS BEING MADE! :(
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Don't fix what ain't broke.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Nunc est bibendum
kgw

Post by kgw »

HikeUp wrote:Don't fix what ain't broke.
+5 8)
Taco

Post by Taco »

Cool site from some folks on here
http://socalhikes.com/
8)
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

haha, and look John happened to put one of your videos up!
:)
Taco

Post by Taco »

HMMMMMMM..... :D

Nah, he asked if he could put one up, and I asked if I could put his site up on here.
Rick M

Post by Rick M »

MOUNTAIN ROAD CONDITIONS

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/mtnhwys.htm

Drive Safe and please remember that road conditions can change quikly in the winter.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

I ran across a pretty interesting web site.

This site has many mountaineering, trails, etc books online. Many of which are very old, (like 1800's old) and make for some very interesting reading.

The site is a little hard to navigate, but with a little effort, there is some nice literature on here.

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/we ... f.+and+Nev.)
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

Good find!

Thanks you very much
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Thanks for the heads up!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

I'm not sure if this is where the post should go, but what the heck.

I ran across this site a few months back,and have found it quite useful when I take family or friends (who aren't seriously into hiking) on local trips.

If you click on the very first item "All Metro Areas" who will be directed to a 'master' list of hkes in many metro areas throughout the states.

I hope you find use for this:

http://www.localhikes.com/MSA/MSA_4472.asp
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Ken Murray posted a link to this site on the Whitney Portal Store Message Board. Try "browse trails" (map) or "trail list." There are many CA trails, including a fair number from the ANF.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I remember coming across that site some time last year I think and if I recall there weren't that many ANF trails listed back then. Now I see there are a bunch of trails.

It's funny how this site has just within the past week started showing up on search engine results. I noticed it about a day before Ken posted the link when I was googling the Barley Flat Trail. Two weeks ago the same search didn't bring up Redtrails. Or maybe I just never noticed it.

Odd that there is no info given about the trails, just gps tracks. No description. Just a bunch of random lines drawn on a map...like the heretofore unknown to me Monte Christo [sic] Trail - which seems to be somebody's cross country bushwhack route up to Round Top (not the commonly used ridge route from Iron #3). I wouldn't rely on these solely.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

AlanK - thanks for the link.

Maybe some of us on this board can put a little effort into uploading many more trails (common trails) onto this site from the ANF. Well, I guess any trails form Southern Cal can be uploaded. I think I'll upload some of my favorites.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

this has been what I've been envisioning would eventually happen, having a map with all possible trails based on gps tracks. just browsed that site, has great potential. i'm not sure what the color coding is, but I hope they incorporate indicating if/when a track follows fire road, maintained trail, unmaintained, bushwack, etc...or else there will be trouble. evidence the people using Travis's SW ridge of Iron mt GPS track, and attempting to descend that way :(

Dangerous gps must be indicated
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

it looks like some people are just creating tracks based on old topo map trails...there is a track to get to the Gold Dollar Mine! I've never been but people say that this trail has totally been lost. if you go to the 'topo' view, it looks like the track follows the trail on the topo map.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Hopefully that website goes away or allows for serious modifications.
For the BigT, it has Condor Peak trail going from Iron Mtn to just above Hansen canyon. It has Fall Creek trail wrong as far as where it connects to Fall Creek. Has the 'Colby canyon trail' going through Grotto creek, is that right?

I can say for sure also there is no Wolf Tree interpretative trail going from Devils canyon to Bobcat canyon. In fact I can guarantee that the line indicated is not doable at all.

The Bear Creek trail is a joke..same for the East fork past the bridge has it climbing cliffs...sort of funny that it would have someone take BTN canyon for a couple hundred feet...yup theres a trail...just follow the mountain goats :D

Of course there is #12W17 going from West Fork Fox Creek and back up Fox Creek to MtGleason :roll:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

wrote:this has been what I've been envisioning would eventually happen, having a map with all possible trails based on gps tracks. just browsed that site, has great potential. i'm not sure what the color coding is, but I hope they incorporate indicating if/when a track follows fire road, maintained trail, unmaintained, bushwack, etc...or else there will be trouble. evidence the people using Travis's SW ridge of Iron mt GPS track, and attempting to descend that way :(

Dangerous gps must be indicated
Yes, they really need to make it more than just a collection of lines on maps. It's a start, though.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Cy posted:
The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway now has a 7 day weather forecast for Long Valley (8512 ft) - New
http://www.scwxa.org/tram/tramplanner.html
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

My friend Jason (a very accomplished canyoneer) has put together this site with beta and news. He's busy with a project with work, so he can't get out much this year, and is putting his energy into this website instead.

It should become a great site for current conditions and news. It looks really nice! Check it out.

www.ucanyon.com
Taco

Post by Taco »

Just saw that a week or two ago. Cool stuff right there! I'm glad he's working on it, and has it up and running.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Ok, i finally hafta ask...what the hell are you guys talking about when you say "beta"? i know its a greek alphabet letter, and computer info..and a lil fish-haha...and ive looked up the other meanings on wiki. but that just says its used in math and finance/risk management...i cant find any definition that would explain how you guyz are meaning it for climbing...and i see you guys use it ALLLLLL the time, how do you mean it?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

everyday wrote: Ok, i finally hafta ask...what the hell are you guys talking about when you say "beta"? i know its a greek alphabet letter, and computer info..and a lil fish-haha...and ive looked up the other meanings on wiki. but that just says its used in math and finance/risk management...i cant find any definition that would explain how you guyz are meaning it for climbing...and i see you guys use it ALLLLLL the time, how do you mean it?
http://www.tradgirl.com/climbing_faq/other.htm
I had heard, that the term "beta" was coined by Jack Mileski (SP?), a deceased Gunks Climber who was referring to a video tape of a route (Betamax) used to gain pre-climb information for an attempted climb of a route...."Beta" comes from BetaMax, as in watching someone act out the moves as though you were seeing a video (although that format is now defunct).

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SOFTWARE RELEASES !
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

everyday wrote: Ok, i finally hafta ask...what the hell are you guys talking about when you say "beta"?
In the simplest terms it means that one climber/hiker/whatever is asking another for as much information as possible so that they may make an attempt on the same route/trail/canyon/cave with the most knowledge for the given conditions, and what to expect when they get there. Some folks want all the details to the "emth degree" while others want enough to keep themselves from getting hurt, lost or going up/down the wrong way and wasting time and energy. That's why so many of us like to stay tuned to these forums, so that we can decide at any given time to go attempt a route and have fresh, clear, first hand knowledge of what to expect.

I for one am grateful to all those that post trip reports and "Beta" along with pictures, it makes it a lot easier, but I still do a little extra research on the harder routes because it's always a good idea to get more than one opinion, one person risk level is always different than another - knowledge is power and it's safer that way for me. :D

Thanks AW for posting the origin of the word, when I first started getting into all this in 2005, I wondered the same thing.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I dunno if I posted this here before or not, but here's a website I've been working on: http://www.calimountains.com

I had originally planned on migrating SGMDF's database over to CaliMountains, but after realizing how big of a pain in the ass that was, I decided to keep the two separate. Plus, the whole reason Travis and I made SGMDF is because there WASN'T a dedicated site/forum for the SG's. Moving the data to CM would bring us back to square one.

My intent with CaliMountains is to sort of fill in the blank spots on the map of California. There are lotsa places without dedicated websites or whatever (often because nobody really cares), so CM is basically a big dump for trip reports and knowledge and all that kinda stuff.

One example of a place without a good forum would be the San Bernardinos, namely San Gorgonio. The San G bulletin board uses ancient technology.

Perry's San Jacinto site is just dandy, and I don't mean to take business away from him, so the San J section on CM is more geared towards Tahquitz and Suicide and other stuff in the area like Desert Divide and all that.

There's a section for Shasta.

There's a section for the high desert, for hikes climbs and blowing up meth labs.

There's a section for fun driving roads and all that.

All kindsa crap.

Go check it out. If you have trouble registering, say so in a reply here! The spam blocking software works 60% of the time all the time so sometimes it gets it wrong.

Bazinga!