Eaton Canyon Trails

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Today I went for a quick hike up Eaton Canyon to the main waterfall. My mission while hiking up to the first falls was to find the route (for a future trip) up the side of the canyon that takes you to the 2nd falls that has a deep pool and a natural "waterslide". I think I found it, it's on the left side of the canyon, near where the canyon bends and you get your first views of Eaton Falls. For a minute I was just studying the "route" or loose climb I should say, and decided it looked like it could be done if extreme caution is exercised. From the bottom of the canyon it looks really steep but I definitly could see a way up. Well I started heading up really carefully on the loose rock and I made it up a good ways by taking my time. I soon realized though that I shouldn't be doing this by myself and and went down I figured I'd wait to do it with my gf. I do realize simply trying to do this is dangerous, but my question is could it be done, or is there any point higher up that would make this route extremely dangerous. Anyways, Im assuming this must be the way up since it was the only way I saw that looked half way doable. I know people go up somehow since there are videos of people sliding off the 2nd falls on youtube, and I doubt they all rappel from above to get there. So, have any of you guys ever ascended up to the 2nd waterfall up this route or anyother from the canyon floor. If so I would apperciate any advice anyone may have.........Thanks 8) 8) 8)

Also on a different Note: The original reason I went to the Eaton Canyon area was to ride my mountian bike on the Mount Wison toll road but apparently that was closed to bikes :shock: and then they dont allow bikes in the "Eaton Canyon Natural Area" according to the signs in the parking lot, but as soon as you actually start walking there are signs that say multiple use trail bikes, horses, and hikers everywhere. So I went to ask the ranger and he got bothered and said absoultly no bikes. Thats really dumb that they have signs that contradict themselves like that. :evil: :evil: :evil:
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

brian90620 wrote: I do realize simply trying to do this is dangerous, but my question is could it be done, or is there any point higher up that would make this route extremely dangerous.
The local SAR teams know this spot well....

The one time I have descended Eaton Cyn I noted people have tried to climb up from the bottom...Seems crazy to me

The standard canyoneering route has some alternate routes into Eaton, probably worth a read

There is more to see in Lower Eaton besides these two falls

http://www.dankat.com/advents/loweat.htm

But most safe approaches to these falls are done using ropes

Have Fun....Be safe
Matt
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

The ridge around the first falls is indeed well know by SAR. More hikers fall from that ledge than I can count. I know of at least 6 deaths from falls from hikers trying to go up and around the first falls.
If you decide to go that route, be sure to be extremely careful.

The best way in the past to get around the first falls was to go up the ladder and through the tunnel.
Of course that ladder is no longer there but the tunnel is.

There are 5 falls in the canyon and everyone is a wild drop.

In the early 70's we put a 50' rope at the first falls while hiking out from Idelhour. We jumped over and into the pool at the second falls then retreated up the canyon side and around to Henningers. There is a great slide in the rock about 100 yards before the first falls. Its a fun ride to be sure.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:
brian90620 wrote: I do realize simply trying to do this is dangerous, but my question is could it be done, or is there any point higher up that would make this route extremely dangerous.
The local SAR teams know this spot well....

The one time I have descended Eaton Cyn I noted people have tried to climb up from the bottom...Seems crazy to me

The standard canyoneering route has some alternate routes into Eaton, probably worth a read

There is more to see in Lower Eaton besides these two falls

http://www.dankat.com/advents/loweat.htm

But most safe approaches to these falls are done using ropes

Have Fun....Be safe
Matt
Interesting read from Brennan as always. Sounds like the middle section above the falls could be reached via Esme Canyon without too much difficulty for some exploration by us non-canyoneering folks.

I've been meaning to get up to Idlehour again (it's been 5 or 6 years), so maybe a little exploring on the way would be in order.

Years ago, late 80's, I took an old trail that I saw on an old topo into Eaton Canyon from Henninger Flats. I'm sure that it must be the "telephone trail" that Brennan mentions. It wasn't too bad at the time, but that was 20 years ago.
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

Back in the late 60's & early 70's that trail was call the miners trail. Probably because there is a mine across the way on the west wall as you start on the trail. It was indeed a fast way into Idlehour but even then the trail was minimal at best. My last time on it was maybe 15 years ago and it disappears in spots. It looks like most people descend into the canyon floor and follow it up to Idlehour. Where the trail empties out at Lower Idlehour, there used to be a large green spot, excellent for camping. There were 2 cabins with bunks in them, open for anyone to use. The cabins are gone and I'm sure most of the area is well overgrown.
On my last hike through Idlehour via the Alpine Trail, the trail through the camp was very overgrown and ticks were everywhere. That was 10 years ago.
platypii

Post by platypii »

I'm very sad to report the current condition of Eaton Canyon.

Some friends of mine just descended Eaton on 4/8, and what used to be crystal clear pools of deep water are now all filled in with gravel and debris.

Eaton Canyon was probably my favorite place in all the San Gabriel's... literally nature's best water park, filled with dozens of natural water slides, huge jumps, and rappels. Truly unique amongst SG canyons. Now most of the pools are only knee deep.

I had been hopeful that Eaton escaped the station fire, since only a small corner of the drainage burned, but apparently that was enough. R.I.P.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

First falls after the drop-in. Usually a slide:

Usually a swim:

The Gully:
Taco

Post by Taco »

Damn, that's a lot of erosion/runoff stuff.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Oh man, that sucks.

It was my favorite, too.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Never been there but it looks like it will take even more runoff to remove that material.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Real shame.
hamik

Post by hamik »

I read somewhere that the canyon looked the same a decade ago--maybe there's hope it will clear out in the next couple years. Also, I didn't think it was that bad compared to two years ago... all the slides go as of last week, and the really big jump is still possible.
platypii

Post by platypii »

I'm hoping it clears out quickly too. I know little santa anita burned a few years ago and still hasn't recovered yet. Eaton seems to have fared better though, and definitely not as bad as it could have been. That's great to hear that the slide-jump still goes!
Taco

Post by Taco »

You know, I was just thinking... do y'all think all this rain we just got cleaned up Eaton or made it worse?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Taco wrote: You know, I was just thinking... do y'all think all this rain we just got cleaned up Eaton or made it worse?
I think better. A whole bunch of that crap got washed out. Only question is how much new crap washed down from above...
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

The canyon should eventually clear out... think Rubio Canyon...
Taco

Post by Taco »

cougarmagic wrote:
Taco wrote: You know, I was just thinking... do y'all think all this rain we just got cleaned up Eaton or made it worse?
I think better. A whole bunch of that crap got washed out. Only question is how much new crap washed down from above...
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Probably got an old Chevy wedged above the Grotto now. :lol:
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

I wash thinking the same thing today. I have such indredibly fond memories of Eaton as it once was. I sure hope all this flooding results in some good.

-Rick
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

For what it's worth, ATS went through LSA last week and said there was a ton of water, some pools knee to waist deep, and "even a few swims" (though there wasn't any detail about that comment - it's hard to imagine anywhere you'd HAVE to swim in there. I suppose you could "swim" in waist deep water if you wanted to say you did)

Couple friends checked out Rubio as well, and said there was the most water they'd ever seen. Some silt has been washed out, to where it's back to boulder-walking instead of flat sandy stretches.

In Big T, the river is roaring. (and that's below the dam!) It has cleared out significant amounts of sand. The river is now looking more like it did before the fire (minus the shady trees).

I'd love to hear about Eaton if anyone has tried it, or hears any news.
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

Same thing has happened over the last 30 years (yeah, I've been around that long). The Station fire may have allowed more debris to travel down into the canyon than in previous high rainfall years, but it should clear out in a few years.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Of course Eaton Canyon will be cleared of debris, as do all of the San Gabriel Mtn canyons. And it may not take a few years. Remember when The Angeles was locked down in October 2004 by a previous Forest Supervisor? The one who had a house dropped on her?

Well, I was living [mostly] covertly in Big Santa Anita Canyon at the time, when we had a big Pineapple Express come through. I measured 13.79 inches overnight at Chantry Flat. There had been previous construction on the Mt. Wilson Toll Road near Mt. Harvard and the head of Winter Creek.

This deluge (which lifted the closure order) washed tons of gravel down into Winter Creek, and when I went exploring the next morning, before "they" opened the gate, it was as if one could navigate the length of the creek from top to bottom on one of those skimboards they use at the beach - it was that smooth. There were no pools, and only a couple of water drops. And it was eerily quiet considering the amount of water still flowing down stream.

It mostly stayed that way until a much bigger storm came through about 13 weeks later in early January, 2005. Winter Creek, along with Hermit Falls, the pool at which had filled to only a foot or so deep, cleared out better than ever in just one weekend.

Bureaucratic bungling (and, in my opinion, nefarious planning) of the Station Fire aside, it is the natural cycle of things.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

aw yeah: (not my video by the way. I haven't been in there since the storms)
Madrox

Post by Madrox »

Awesome video, That looks fun!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

cougarmagic wrote: In Big T, the river is roaring. (and that's below the dam!) It has cleared out significant amounts of sand. The river is now looking more like it did before the fire (minus the shady trees).
Above the dam....no structural changes...heavy sediment flows...such as the pool below optional rap 6 in the GFF is overfilled with soil. Recovery-mixed...from zero progress to overgrown....mostly the brush is coming back with a vengenace on sunny slopes, but not on shady slopes. Its going to be super dense with the old brush and new brush together.

very low amount of overgrowth, but its there....this is not XC.
bjp

Post by bjp »

I've been reading a fair amount about the Eaton Canyon accidents and was hoping someone here with a better knowledge of the incidents could fill in some gaps. I know the area fairly well, so here's what I understand (please correct me when I'm wrong):

The main Eaton Falls hike takes a left turn around a ridge just before the bottom of the falls and this is where the Razorback trail starts to bypass the first falls. What I would characterize as easy 3rd class climbing/walking leads to the top of the ridge where an alternate (but bad and eroding) way down may be found on the left. Perhaps this was the site of this accident?

Shortly ahead, the correct (and somewhat unobvious) trail begins to contour around the right side of the ridge, but sometimes people make a mistake here and continue up the ridge:
http://altadenarescue.blogspot.com/2011 ... uly-5.html

A short while into the traverse, sometimes there is a rope tied to an exposed root at foot level on the right side of the trail which leads down (via a fall; can't be climbed easily) to where most people hang out at the bottom of Eaton Falls, and may (?) have been where this accident happened:

Shortly after this, the crux of the trail requires what I would consider a difficult class 4 move to bypass. A fall here would very likely cause serious injury, but I don't think one would go over the falls. There is usually a rope tied to a tree above this point and it's very useful in getting past the crux.

http://altadenarescue.blogspot.com/2011 ... -amrt.html
Maybe: http://altadenarescue.blogspot.com/2010 ... above.html

Continuing down into the canyon, there is another 8-foot class 4 down climb without nearly as much exposure that is usually aided by rope or webbing around a small tree. After this, it's an easy hike down to the stream bed.

A long walk in and along the stream leads to the second waterfall (Slide of Faith when the water is deep enough...and when it's not), which is the one with a billion Youtube videos. The trail up and around starts canyon right heading downstream, then turns almost 180 and heads upstream as it climbs above the falls. I'm not aware of any accidents that have occurred on this trail -- have there been any?

Another shorter walk in and along the stream leads to a big log which is just downstream of a short but awkward waterfall rappel off of a tree. Apparently there is a way around the log and awkward waterfall rappel, but I've never tried it -- it was just downstream of this log that the rescue I was present for happened:

So, it seems like most injuries/fatalities occur on the Razorback trail between where it leaves the canyon bottom below Eaton falls to where it rejoins the canyon bottom above Eaton falls. But, it isn't just the crux move that is causing problems -- there is at least one other place where people tend to fall from. And apparently, the rescue I observed was in a very atypical location. Does this square with everyone else's knowledge of the incidents and situation?
gwjones00

Post by gwjones00 »

That is effing ridiculous. Anyone who does that and puts the life and limb of rescuers in peril needs to be charged for the extraction.

Stupid is as stupid does.
bjp

Post by bjp »

By what standard do you judge "ridiculous"? Anyone who does anything in the wilderness puts the life and limb of rescuers in peril; lots of people don't need rescuing but some do. Why is this a situation where people clearly should be charged while people in other situations shouldn't be charged, or rather, what rule would you use to decide which people get charged and which don't? But actually, this is moot; it would be a bad idea to charge people for rescue:
http://mra.org/images/stories/docs/MRAC ... sition.pdf

And it also detracts from the point of the post, which was to understand the situation better so that someone could perhaps come up with a way to address the situation.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

The meat of the coconut IMO is these people don't undwrstand the danger and don't have the experience tp properly evaluate the situation

There are people who's opinion I respect who have been there. Who would never go in there again by that route.

That's good enough for me. But as I said these people don't know this and cannot evaluate the situation with skills they don't posess
gwjones00

Post by gwjones00 »

bjp wrote: By what standard do you judge "ridiculous"? Anyone who does anything in the wilderness puts the life and limb of rescuers in peril; lots of people don't need rescuing but some do. Why is this a situation where people clearly should be charged while people in other situations shouldn't be charged, or rather, what rule would you use to decide which people get charged and which don't? But actually, this is moot; it would be a bad idea to charge people for rescue:
http://mra.org/images/stories/docs/MRAC ... sition.pdf

And it also detracts from the point of the post, which was to understand the situation better so that someone could perhaps come up with a way to address the situation.
I understand your point. And I am not in favor of charging for extraction. Period. I fully understand the implications of doing so.

What I am saying is that there is a certain point where people need to be held accountable for their actions. People climbing those canyon walls in Nikes and Vans without any safety gear are statistics waiting to happen. The problem is they don't understand this. And a sign? Fence? Witness Vernal Falls or Half Dome. Short of putting a ranger in the canyon with a citation book (like the USFS does in the Whitney Zone), I'm not sure how you can enforce any rule.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

We coulda lost Johnny! From John Muir's First Adventure in the San Gabriels...

"The foot of the fall is about a thousand feet above the level of the sea, and here climbing begins. I made my way out of the valley on the west side, followed the ridge that forms the western rim of the Eaton Basin..."

"For a hundred feet or so the ascent was practicable only by means of bosses of the club moss that clings to the rock. Above this the ridge is weathered away to a slender knife-edge for a distance of two or three hundred yards, and thence to the summit it is a bristly mane of chaparral."
AW~

Post by AW~ »

You made a good summary bjp. Also they do get rescued from not knowing where to go up as well...usually they try downstream of the ridge.