General Conditions

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Taco

Post by Taco »

This was a poll. These haven't been imported. Sorry.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I am planning on hiking up to Monrovia Peak (via Sierra Club Route #1) and wondering if anyone has been up there recently and can report on conditions of the firebreak leading up from the top of Bill Cull trail to Clamshell. Anyone interested?
Travis

Post by Travis »

HikeUp wrote:I am planning on hiking up to Monrovia Peak (via Sierra Club Route #1) and wondering if anyone has been up there recently and can report on conditions of the firebreak leading up from the top of Bill Cull trail to Clamshell. Anyone interested?
I was up there last summer, here is my Trip Report and GPS data. THe firebreak was in good condition but the bush was heavy in spots. As long as you wear pants you should be fine, I did it in shorts.

http://www.gpsmountaineering.com/monrov ... shellpeaks
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks, for the info Travis. I had seen your TR before and figured a January trip would be a bit easier as far as temperatures and bush growth than when you went in July (are you nuts! :o ).

I got a very late start (dog had to go in for surgery) so all I did was a short loop hike -- went up the Bill Cull trail for a short distance to the piss poor/overgrown/tick infested/washed out/piece of shyte "proposed" trail that goes up to the ridge, then back down the ridge (past the homeless guy's camp) to the fire road, then over to the city streets and free parking area near Canyon Blvd. and Ridgeside Dr. The "proposed" trail (as it is listed in the park brochure) looks like it was once a really great trail (good grade, tread width, etc.) but is currently in terrible condition and is in fact kind of dangerous, especially as it nears the ridge (near the 4 palm trees). I, like Travis, would recommend starting any trip up to Clamshell, Rankin and Monrovia Peaks by going up the fire road to the ridge trail directly and avoid going up the Bill Cull trail route.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Harumph!

Hope your dog is doing good!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks, the mutt seems fine. Kinda funny to see a dog trying to walk as it is coming out of anesthesia! Walked right into a wall :shock:

BTW, long pants and some desert gators are good advice for these "trails".
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Monrovia sounds perfect for this time of year - thanks for putting the idea in my head.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

KathyW wrote:Monrovia sounds perfect for this time of year - thanks for putting the idea in my head.
Go do it!
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

I led a group up to Monrovia Peak last Saturday via the ridge from the Clamshell Trail. I too passed the homeless man in the blue tarp tent...where the trail meets up with the Bill Cull Trail, I walked a bit on the BC, and it appears to be in pretty shitty condition, I would not suggest taking that route.

The weather was pretty overcast and foggy that morning, so we could not see much further than a couple hundred feet, and did not have a good feeling for when we were finally making it up to Clamshell Peak. Up to that point the brush was somewhat annoying on the legs (as said before, wear pants!), but the views were much better after descending toward the fireroad.

The weather cleared up upon hitting the following 2 peaks, and was pretty good on the descent.

I will admit that some of the group were ahead on the way down and I wasn't paying attention, and we started descending down the wrong ridge! It happened to be the ridge to the west of the one we ascended. We knew we were on the wrong ridge because, well we could see the blue tent of the homeless guy!

This way sort of met up with the upper clamshell trail, which abruptly ended, but we found a trail that apparently was created by someone with a chainsaw cutting through branches.

This trail quickly descended on the east side of the ridge along very fertile and damp soil that was quite fun to sort of safely slide & step down. We descended all the way into the canyon bottom close to a waterfall where the trail faded away. We had to navigate down a rocky portion of 30-40 ft drop next to the waterfall, cross the stream a few times, where I then located a sort of small bridge on the east side. We climbed up this, and followed the path.

I had remembered when turning off the clamshell trail to start the ridge up with a sharp right, that there was another trail to the left that descended into the canyon. I guessed that this trail was the one we would find, and I was right. So we ended up not losing much ground but had a very interesting & fun way down!
Taco

Post by Taco »

Welcome aboard, Joseph. (Ryan here)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice TR. Interesting "route finder" descent! Congrats. I've seen TR's from way back (60's or 70's I think) describing a route from Chantry Flat to Clamshell.

I'm going back at this peak this Saturday, but I plan on doing the Sierra Club Route #3 (20+ mile round trip death march up/down Upper Clamshell/Rincon-Red Box road). Using it as distance training with a medium weight pack.
where the trail meets up with the Bill Cull Trail, I walked a bit on the BC, and it appears to be in pretty shitty condition, I would not suggest taking that route.
Now you tell me :D! I certainly agree with that recommendation. I think the Sierra Club needs to update the info on the route up the Bill Cull trail.

By the way, did you notice the sandbagged foxholes just south of the homeless guy's camp? Very odd I thought.
Tim

Post by Tim »

This is for the San Gorgonio Wilderness but I figured any info for the local mountains would be good to put in this thread.

Anyhow, I was hiking the South Fork on Saturday and they had volunteers from the FS at Horse Meadow. The offered water to the hikers but they were also checking permits. Seems like they're stepping up patrols over there. They also mentioned that they would do more patrols this winter. Just an FYI.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Nunc est bibendum
Taco

Post by Taco »

What the hell? If that happens, SUPAH COOL! Just like last year.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

If only I didn't work. Maybe sunday morning a quick hike up baldy would be nice!
Hopefully get some rain/snow. I'll post pictures!

Though, the chances of it actually raining/snowing when I'm up there, extremely small, but still! Could be worth it.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

My prediction is no snow and less than .1 inches of rain. Muahahaha...I have very low confidence in this latest NWS forecast....in fact I change it to it will not rain at all...Ive been hearing about lowering temps for days from the weather kooks...they cant predict acurately one day out much less more...BTW these same clowns said this next year will be the driest...and now they say rain? Ha!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I agree AW. I'll believe it when I see it - clowns in pin stripes regurgitating NWS predictions are unreliable. BUT, I will be carrying the necessary gear on my hike this Saturday, just in case they get it right!
Taco

Post by Taco »

If this is the case, I hope to do a lightweight overnighter or something, as I want to try out some ideas for lightweight bivy stuff.

I just want to be cold again. :(
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Tim wrote:but they were also checking permits. Seems like they're stepping up patrols over there. They also mentioned that they would do more patrols this winter.
I am surprised at how many people hike w/o permits. What are these people thinking? fascinating!
simonov

Post by simonov »

FIGHT ON wrote:
Tim wrote:but they were also checking permits. Seems like they're stepping up patrols over there. They also mentioned that they would do more patrols this winter.
I am surprised at how many people hike w/o permits. What are these people thinking? fascinating!
Once on SummitPost when I mentioned I used to be a Forest Service volunteer ranger (permit-checking dude) I got hassled.

I think there are a lot of mountaineers who think that since they are such hairy-chested tough guys with all the necessary gear, the rules of society simply do not apply to them.

I didn't meet many people like that when I was patrolling, but I get that vibe from a lot of the postings I read on some forums.
Nunc est bibendum
Bill

Post by Bill »

Simonov wrote Once on SummitPost when I mentioned I used to be a Forest Service volunteer ranger (permit-checking dude) I got hassled.
I think some people have a problem with authority (not me). I resent having to ask permission to enter the great outdoors, however I understand the need to assign accountability to those who may be less than responsible with the resource, and or overestimate there abilities by getting lost or worse.
Unfortunately in reality they are only keeping track of the responsible ones! :roll:
simonov

Post by simonov »

Bill wrote:Unfortunately in reality they are only keeping track of the responsible ones! :roll:
The permit system is not about keeping track, it's about limiting numbers. And with proper enforcement, the irresponsible ones are sent back down the mountain.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco

Post by Taco »

Permits are for quitters. I can't stand those volunteeHEY SIMONOV, how's it goin'? :lol:
Bill

Post by Bill »

Simonov wrote
The permit system is not about keeping track, it's about limiting numbers. And with proper enforcement, the irresponsible ones are sent back down the mountain.
I defer to your expertise, but as you have accurately stated there are a high number of those without permits. Without proper enforcement, the point is moot.
Basically, I'm just yakin', because personally although I am a rule follower, I would not want it to get to the point where there was a FS ranger at every trailhead checking permits.(that would ruin the experience)
But, it is a little distressing to know that there are some elements attempting to elicitly exploit our forests, and who will protect there activities by what ever means. :shock: I really don't see a solution to that other than reducing the demand for their product somehow.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Bill wrote: Basically, I'm just yakin', because personally although I am a rule follower, I would not want it to get to the point where there was a FS ranger at every trailhead checking permits.(that would ruin the experience)
Actually, when I was a volunteer (around 1989-92), there was a ranger on every trail, checking permits. I didn't think the experience was being ruined.

I haven't seen a ranger in the San Gorgonio Wilderness at all this year, and the only ranger I've seen in the San Gabriels was making his annual hike up away from a parking lot, and wasn't checking permits.
Nunc est bibendum
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

My son and I did the entire John Muir Trail in 2006 and met one ranger. He did check our permit. We have been to Whitney 6 times together and have been checked once. I have never had a permit checked in the San Gabriels and only one in the San Bernardinos. I think we have been checked a couple of times in the San Jacintos.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I've been checked at least three times in the San Gorgonio Wilderness (usually on the S Fork Trail but once on Forsee Creek).

I don't recall getting checked in the Mt. San Jacinto Wilderness, but then again, I don't get out there as much because it's a longer drive.

I have definitely been checked in the Sierra on a number of occasions, particularly in National Parks but also in USFS areas.

I live 10 min. from Angeles Crest Hwy. I live about the same distance from Big Tujunga Canyon Road. I'm 5 minutes from FR 3N76, and I've been hiking for 40 or so years. In other words, I'm in the San Gabs a fair amount. I've never even seen a ranger on a trail (let alone get checked) in the San Gabriels.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

No checking in the San Gabriels because they aren't trying to limit the number of visitors. Even in the one area requiring a permit, the Cucamonga Wilderness, they aren't limiting the number of permits. What's there to check except fire permits, and hunting/fishing licenses?

A majority of the "good" trails in the San Bernadinos are located in the 2 major wilderness areas around Gorgonio and Jacinto, where they are trying to limit the number of visitors. Makes sense you get checked there and not in the San Gabriels.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Ought to be permits required for all areas. Any mountains. You don't have a permit, you can't go. Anyone w/o a permit has to pay a big fine. Like $2,000.00 or more.
That would pay for the rangers and would make it harder for the pot farms.
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

i did the John Muir trail this past summer and wasnt stopped once for a permit.

the ski hut should be nice saturday night! booyahhh!