General Conditions

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Holy crap, according to the NOAA it's going to snow all week!
Nunc est bibendum
everyday

Post by everyday »

ha, i was just lookin at noaa too. But I also looked outside, and the level on San J. looks down to 4000ft, maybe a lil lower. Too cloudy for a decent pic, but ima walk up there after lunch so i'll take some then :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Happy Spring everybody! :lol:

Ol' Man Winter is just slammin' the door on his way out. "I'll be back."

HJ
norma r

Post by norma r »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Happy Spring everybody! :lol:
Ol' Man Winter is just slammin' the door on his way out. "I'll be back."
HJ
yeah, he wanted to make a fool out of us who said the snow the other week was as good as it's gonna get. sleet on my face. :oops:

:D last one out the door to make fresh tracks is a rotten egg!!!
(it won't be me cuz i'm working this week. :( but who can resist a dare?)
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Ski report from Baldy says 2 to 3 feet of new snow:

http://www.mtbaldy.com/mtbaldy/002/snow-report.php
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

KathyW wrote: Ski report from Baldy says 2 to 3 feet of new snow:

http://www.mtbaldy.com/mtbaldy/002/snow-report.php
Woo hoo! :D

HJ
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

KathyW wrote: Ski report from Baldy says 2 to 3 feet of new snow
Mt. high also reporting 24-36", Big Bear resorts saying 14-18"
everyday

Post by everyday »

at least another foot to foot n a half at Tram top here on San J. so im guessin peak is even better :D
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Mount Waterman report from yesterday:

http://mtwaterman.org/

It seems like the San Gabriel Mountains received twice as much snow as the San Bernardino Mountains this past week, which should even things out a bit between the areas for the season.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the link Kathy.
3-22-2011 – 6 pm

Hello from Mt Waterman,

Well folks we picked up a good 4-6+ feet of snow. The Road is closed and we have no idea when they will have it open. At worst we would run Friday – Sunday from 9 – 4pm. When we get word that the gates to the road are open we will let you know.
I'm skeptical at the amount but I'm sure they got a plenty. Wow.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Got a good amount of snow up at Crystal Lake. 8)
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

So I have tentetively scheduled our hiking group to do the 9 peaks loop (Angeles Forest to Vivian Creek) on June 11-12 staying over night at shields flat. I have seen the pictures of the reports being snow at 8500 and above significant snow at 10k. How doable will me trip be with basic hiking gear. That is still 3.5 weeks away.

Also do you guys think i will run into any isses for Whitney, we are hiking that July 14-17 out of Cottenwood lakes and out the Portal. This is two months away. Supposedly July is the prime month to hike but maybe not this year?

I am trying to weigh my options to see if I need additional snow / ice gear.

Thanks,
Loren
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Loren,

You won't be getting to 10,000' Ridge if you're doing The Nine Peaks, but you will get over 10,000' feet in multiple spots along the San Bernardino Peak Divide.

Here's my TR from about a week ago: https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=3808

Anything with northern exposure has significant snow above 9000'. Even in exposed areas, there is still significant snow above 10,000' -- but with big melted out portions.

A few weeks hence, things will be more melted out; the current set of storms won't change that.

I didn't need any specialized equipment on my trip, but snow shoes would have been nice in sections.

Less likely as we get toward June, but if you go on a cold day, things could be icy. If it is icy, you might want some type of gear.

HJ
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

Yeah I saw your post. We are going accross the divide. Good to hear, I guess I will have to keep an ear/eye out. the trickiest part would be on the way up and down from San G but that is mostly south faceing, it is just from the pictures I have seen there is still quite a bit of snow there.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Just based on past experience, you'll probably run into some drifts between the two Bernardinos.

HJ
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

I just got my permit (Angeles Oaks to Vivian Creek and Camping at Shield Flat) Hopefully this sun will keep that snow melting although it is not that hot.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

You'll want there to be some snow at least though, so you don't have to carry drinking water.

HJ
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

For sure last year we carried a lot of water. Got some at the stream half way to San G from Vivian Creek and not again until just above manzinta flat. We coudlnt find the spring that was on the oppsite side of the ridge from dollar lake (near diablo peak?).
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Take a look at this map of the area. I've marked all the water points from Angelus Oaks to Vivian Creek.
A = Manzanita Spring which is just down the side trail from Manzanita Flat. Normally, it's "dry" (just damp mud), but I would bet it's running this year.
B = Limber Pine Spring which is just up the drainage from the point of a switch back in the trail. It will almost 100% chance be running. It usually melts out even when nearby areas are all snow covered.
C = Trail Fork Springs. There will probably be a lot of snow around here. The spring may be hard to find but will definitely be flowing. Look for a small pipe in the willows north of the trail.
D = High Meadow Springs. You have to find a faint, steep side trail leading to down to the springs. This is past Shields Flat, so I wouldn't think it would be all that useful to you.
E = High Creek
F = the little creek at Halfway
Past "F", you'll hit Vivian Creek which should be running its entire length.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd bring a good stove and melt snow. That'd be your best bet for Shields Flat which doesn't have a water source right at the camp.

HJ
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

Great map thanks. Yeah i figured we can melt snow I was just not sure how clean/deep it will be. D is the one we were looking for last time but it was not helping how far down the hill we had to go.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Shields Flat is about 10,500'. I think you'll find plenty of snow. The trail traverses around the north side of Shields Peak as you go east towards the flat. That north side should have plenty of deep drifts. Dig off the surface layers, get the relatively clean snow underneath, and melt it in your pot. Once it's boiled, it's safe to drink even if there are a few "floaties" (pine needle bits and such) in it. If you're really worried about it, bring a coffee filter and pour the water through the filter after it has boiled. The filter will get rid of the "floaties".

As for high meadow springs, the spot of greenery marked by "A" on this map is where the spring is. Very reliable. Probably not too helpful if you're staying at Shields, but good to know about for future reference. The faint side trail takes off from about "B" and steeply looses about 300' of elevation to get to the spring. The trail petered out about 100' above the spring last time I was there. I just zeroed in on the greenery.

HJ
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

Found this on the SGW bulletin Board. Seriously considering buying microspikes and hot food is a must! I think poles can sumplment an iceaxe and spikes for crampons. I wonder how much more tiem i need to acount for.

Was up to Limber Pine Bench on Saturday, May 28th. Trail is clear to the trail junction at John's Meadows/Columbine Springs(some downed trees block the trail, in spots) but small snow patches dot the trail to the final 1/8 mile to the actual campsites. The final 1/8 miles is completely on snow up the final ridge. Limber Pine Bench, itself, is free of snow, but heavy snow fields completely cover the trail both to the springs and all upper elevations. I would bring crampons and ice axe - the upper level of snow was soft in the afternoon but hard underneath. Our Scout Troop saw 25 people on the trail, but all but three were going only to Limber Pine Bench. Be prepared to melt snow for water - it is a major slog over to the springs just to get water. Another idea is to access the small stream of water coming down from the springs just before you ascend the final snowridge to the camp. Good luck and safe hiking.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Shnow is here.
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

Taco wrote: Shnow is here.

:D
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

A little more clear a few minutes later:

Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

I'll post some pics from ski hut trail in a tr tomorrow, but there's a healthy amount of snow up there. About 3 inches at register, going up to almost 5-6 inches near hut. Was sweet.
everyday

Post by everyday »

We got 3 inches here at the Grand Canyon :D
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

There was up to 4ins at times on San Gabriel Peak today. The snow level started way down at Red Box. But this was first thing in the a.m. It was already melting by the time I left. But it was awesome to roll out at 32 degrees, in snow, with clear views in every direction!
echristensen

Post by echristensen »

I won't swoop the TR's for Saturday - but here's a quick shot from Baldy @ 10am or so.

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice. Now that looks like Mountaineering!

HJ