General Conditions

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Thanks again HikeUp!
Sean

Post by Sean »

When you reach the PCT junction south of Williamson, make sure you turn left for Islip. Right goes to Eagles Roost. I don't think there was a sign.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Thanks Sean,
Left it is. 8)
skelley

Post by skelley »

Just did this today (June 9th). Water level is very low (not much above the knees). Not much poison oak in the canyon. But avoid the use trail to exit. Very tough and lots of poison oak. Better to head to the debris basin.

Saw a little colorful milk snake that had a crushed head (hawk dropped it?) just after the punchbowl.
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Awww Milksnake. :(

I'm confused about "lots" of poison oak. How many LA canyons have you done? LSA has less than most, if not all.
skelley

Post by skelley »

There was very little in the canyon (and easily avoided). The use trail before the punchbowl however had large (over head high) poison oak with little option but to push past it.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

Yeah, the water flow this year is shocking. For the past 4 years or so, at this time of year, I tend to shower in waterfalls and bathe in streams before work like 3 days out of the week. But as I've been going to all my usual spots, they've all been completely dry. I've never seen them this dry, this early. This is going to be a rough, rough year....
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

At least I won't need my Steripen or Katadyn downstream of the waterfalls this year.
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

Another road/roads closed around July 4 are Glendora Mountain Road/Glendora Ridge Route road. They're CLOSED to cars, but its a popular bicycling route around July 4. :D Ride up from the 'flatlands' to Mt. Baldy Village, have some eats at the lodge, then its a nice downhill grade back to Glendora. Or try to make it up to Manker Flats/Mt Baldy ski lifts. :shock: Get ther early if you want to do it, as it gets hot after mid-morning.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Don't say it, Greg, don't say it!...
Taco

Post by Taco »

...aaand R39/GMR/GRR are all open now. 8)
tarol

Post by tarol »

I saw some snow in the San Gabriels on my way to work this morning :)
Taco

Post by Taco »

Lots of frosty trees and some snow at the highest elevations. It's cold enough, we just need more water! :)
tarol

Post by tarol »

7-12" of rain expected tomorrow in the Lytle Creek and other south facing canyons!!
bschmalz

Post by bschmalz »

tarol wrote: 7-12" of rain expected tomorrow in the Lytle Creek and other south facing canyons!!
Anyone have any idea how that will impact the Lytle Creek road?

I'm tempted to try to hike in the snow on the middle fork of Lytle on Sunday if the weather is promising, but my main concern is being able to get my subaru to the trailhead. I've never been up that road before.
tarol

Post by tarol »

It was dumping this morning. There was a lot of mud and standing water on Lytle Creek Road from side drainages - lots of big rocks down, too. The water is very high at Long Bridge and if debris stacks up there, that's when the water will break through the levy there and go over the low water crossing. If that happens, do not try and go through. I've seen big trucks swept downstream into the rocks. Anyway, they're predicting 4 more bands of heavy precip tonight and tomorrow. The Ranger Station and Applewhite Picnic Area are closed and will hopefully re-open Sunday. I'd imagine you'll at least need 4wd to get to the Middle Fork Trailhead, if it's not been washed out somewhere along the way.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Snow Spoiler Alert

Just saw this info on the Mt Baldy Ski Lift website:

The rain has turned to snow finally and it is snowing hard well below the parking since 4pm.

:!: :!: :!:
tarol

Post by tarol »

bschmalz wrote:
tarol wrote: 7-12" of rain expected tomorrow in the Lytle Creek and other south facing canyons!!
Anyone have any idea how that will impact the Lytle Creek road?

I'm tempted to try to hike in the snow on the middle fork of Lytle on Sunday if the weather is promising, but my main concern is being able to get my subaru to the trailhead. I've never been up that road before.
No go, unless you want to park further down the road and increase your hiking mileage. There is a washout on Middle Fork Road about 1/2 mile from the trailhead - it may be possible with a good high clearance/4wd vehicle, but our OHV ranger didn't attempt to for fear of getting stuck.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Snow on Baldy down to a little below Manker Flats yesterday. Couple feet in spots higher up on Baldy.

San Antonio Falls/Canyon flowing well.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Mt. Wilson Trail weathered the weather well. A few downed trees and some slippage, but nothing major. Basically clear all the way to Manzanita Ridge. Little Santa Anita Creek is flowing.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

I went hiking in the area yesterday-- everything is open but some of the trails are in poor shape since the flood.

Manker Flats to Mt. Baldy -- the trail is in great shape up to Baldy Bowl. The switchbacks to the ridge from the ski hut have been washed out, but it is easy to find your way up through the erosion channels. They mostly follow the old switchbacks. The same is true on the steeper part of the ridge. If you know where you want to end up this is easy. The rest of the hike is basically unchanged.

Mt. Baldy to Baldy Notch. The trail is in good shape with a few minor debris deposits.

Baldy Notch to Thunder and Telegraph Mountains. The trails are in good shape with minor nuisance washouts.

Telegraph Mountain to Timber Mountain Saddle. The trail down to the saddle is washed out. You can navigate it with a little trail finding but count on it slowing you down significantly. No sketchy parts, just messy loose rock and mud.

Timber Mountain Saddle to Timber Mountain to Icehouse Saddle: The trail is in good condition.

Icehouse Saddle to Icehouse Saddle Parking Lot. Much of the trail is in good condition with some minor washouts. The section of the trail that was close to the creek is completely washed out. This is a boulder hop area now between mile 1.5 and mile 2.

Other Reports from hikers I met at Baldy Summit: Bear Flat Trail. It is like the Ski Hut Trail with the switchbacks above Bear Flat taking the worst beating. Register Ridge Trail. A similar report.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Thank you for the trail report. Very useful info. We are hiking Manker Flat to Baldy Summit to Ski Lifts tomorrow and have been wondering about conditions.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We did the hike today. As JerryN noted, the trails are now eroded gullies. It is difficult to tell the original trail apart from the numerous use trails and switchback cuts. The footing is difficult because the gullies are full of loose dirt and small rocks. The damage starts just past the Baldy Bowl and continues to the final push up the summit pyramid. The last section is not too bad because it is not as steep. From the summit to Mt. Harwood is also badly eroded with more loose dirt and small rocks.
Bobcat22

Post by Bobcat22 »

Thanks for the reports. I had heard Icehouse Canyon took a beating but I have not been up there myself since before the storms. I'll post a report later this week as I wanted to head up to Cucamonga Peak.
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy Bobcat :)

Went up Falling Rock Canyon to Ontario and Big Horn peaks and came down Icehouse yesterday. Icehouse took an even bigger beating than the last time it flooded in March. The lower and upper sections are fine -- in the middle it's hard to distinguish between the stream bed and trail.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Thank you for the report, Ellen! We noticed earlier this year in Icehouse Canyon that the trail looked re-arranged in the mid-section. I did not know that there were floods in March, but that explains the changes. That section was also beat up by a big avalanche several years ago. It looks like the San Gabriel Trail Builders have their work cut out.
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Hi everyone

A buddy and me are planning a trip up baldy, to enjoy some of the new snow, either this weekend or next. We have lightweight crampons and snow shoes, but are not experienced in using an ice axe etc. so my questions are.
How deep is the snow?
What routes are passable without having mastered self arrest techniques etc?
Any better peaks to try for a bit of snow, but minimal danger?
Do you think the snow will last till next weekend?

Many thanks as always!
Josh
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi Birdman,
I will choose my snow gears based upon the snow condition.

If the snow is fresh snow regardless how heavy it is, I use microspike on winter boots with gators or boots and gators only. I use a set of poles with a big basket, no ice axe.
If the snow is consolidated and the trail is relatively gentle uphill, I use the microspike with boots and gators. I use a set of poles with a big basket.

If the snow is consolidate or hard packed and on steep hill such as Baldy bowl, I use crampons and ice axe. You need self arrest skills. It is good idea to take a class for self-arrest skills from Taco.

If the snow is fresh and deep and the trail is relatively flat, I use snowshoes.
I used snowshoes on Mt. Baldy only twice in 10 years.

You can go up DDB, Register trail, and Ski hut trail without ice axe or crampons.

The snow level around 8000 feet is 2-3 inches. It is 4-6 inches beyond 8200 feet to 9000. It is a bit hard from 9500 to the summit because of there are two layers, old snow and fresh snow, with 1 feet or 2 feet depending on the location. Be careful for deep footprint holes.
If you want to try the snowshoes, this is a good place to use it.

The snow is holding up good because of cool weather we have last 4-5 days.

I choose Ski hut trail because it is the safest trail for winter season.
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Thanks snmtbaldy

Great advice. Sounds like the ski hut trail is safest and safe is good! I'd also be interested what Cucamonga peak is like in the snow. we tried last year after a slight dusting but turned back just after icehouse saddle because we had no microspikes. Any thoughts?

Thanks
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi Birdman,
The only thing I can tell you about Cucamonga peak trail is do not try it when the Icehouse saddle area and beyond is covered with solid snow and frozen. The traverse section of trail from bottom of Bighorn peak to Cucamonga peak is very challenging if it is frozen. This area gets very strong and cold wind from north and stay cold long time. Once you pass this section, the hike gets a bit easier.
You need self-arrest skill if you slide down the very steep hillside.
Some accidents were reported many years ago.

Since I am not an adventurist so I try to avoid any potential risks.

If this area gets a good snow, you should try to hike up to Bighorn peak from Icehouse saddle then hike on the ridgeline to Ontario peak to enjoy the winter snow hike.

Shin