General Conditions

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
SGBob

Post by SGBob »

These are all historic trails that are in various states of disrepair (or basically non-existent now). Has anybody tried to locate and/or hike any of these recently?

Last weekend I tried to take Silver Fish (2N28) from highway 39 west, but about 1.5 miles in it became nearly impassable, at least the original route. Right where the road became impassable there was a firebreak leading up the ridge that could be used to bypass the original route, but I did not scramble more than about 1/4-mile up the firebreak.
janefontana

Post by janefontana »

I'm considering a backpack from Mill Creek up to Lightning Point, then down to Deer Spring, along Pacoima Canyon, up to Mendenhall Road, and on toward Gold Canyon to Big Tujunga Road. The unknowns for me are Big Buck Camp (is there water? what is its condition?), and the section from Deer Spring/Pacoima and Mendenhall. Is there a trail? Is it incredibly brushy going up to Mendenhall?
tractor

Post by tractor »

A trip down East Fork San Gabriel from Vincent Gap takes a while. It would be much quicker to go over Baden Powell and down to Ross. From there, the southeast ridge of Ross to Iron fork is the most promising except it looks to be a horrid bushwack with poison oak. Anyone been out there? A trail down this ridge would really open up the lower part of the East Fork from the upper side. I'm curious of the conditions if anyone knows this ridge.
Sean

Post by Sean »

(View of Ross Mtn from Iron Mtn)

I was on Ross four years ago. The ridge looked gnarly back then, and it still looks that way to me, especially down low.
missy

Post by missy »

It's been hot lately and I wanted to hike Upper Big Tujunga for awhile so thinking on hitting this tmrw. I just wanted to see if someone has hiked through this canyon lately and what the conditions are? Wanted something more recent than Brennan's article from 16 years ago. Thanks so much!

http://www.dankat.com/advents/tjunga.htm
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yeah, I guess an update more recent than 16 years ago is a reasonable request. ;)

HJ
Wild1

Post by Wild1 »

Looking for any information on reliable water source(s) for multi-day packing trips, from either Mt. Baldy Rd. or the 39.

Anything (stream, creek, spring) that I can use my water purifier/pump. Thanks in advance!
Taco

Post by Taco »

R39: Crystal Lake area has some.
-The lake itself, which I would definitely filter the hell out of.
-Little Jimmy (still good?)
-Soldier Creek/Lewis Falls: This one might not have much water above Lewis Falls. You might need to go further downstream towards Falling Springs, which used to be a resort or something prior to the Curve Fire in 03.
-Some springs along ACH north of R39

Going west from R39:
-Bear Creek has plenty of water.
-The fork of Bear Creek that drains the south side of Twin Peaks has water, and is 'remote'. You'll probably have the place to yourself. I remember it being rather pretty in there.
-There are sources from canyons along the road to Cogswell Dam.

East of R39:
Bichota Mesa and 'Chimneyville', right off R39. This fork leads to Rattlesnake Peak. There is almost always water running here. Some of the major canyons dropping in from South Mt Hawkins have water, though I'd kinda not count on that this year.

Most of the sources for this area are out of the way.

Baldy:
-Stream just above Ski Hut
-Possible stream between Harwood's north face and Dawson's south ridge. Probably still flowing. Very quiet back there. Good place to be away from people.
-Stuff on Ontario Peak is dry, right guys?
-Spring along Icehouse Canyon Trail on the left side within a mile or so of the trailhead.
-Icehouse Canyon creek itself has water.

There are many more, but those are pretty regular. Got an idea whereabouts you wanna do your trip?
Wild1

Post by Wild1 »

Taco -

Thank you, much appreciated!!
SoCal Mike

Post by SoCal Mike »

Hi, everyone.

I am hoping to visit either Comanche or Third Stream Crossing via Icehouse Canyon Trail.

Anyone know if there is any water near those two campgrounds? (USFS said "Didn't know" about water at Comanche and "there is" water at Third Stream Crossing. Mt. Baldy Visitor Center said "No water" at Comanche and "doesn't think" there is any water at Third Stream Crossing.

Any help is appreciated!

Michael
Taco

Post by Taco »

Third Stream Crossing probably has water. Not too sure about Comanche, haven't been there yet. Jim might know.
SoCal Mike

Post by SoCal Mike »

Taco wrote: Third Stream Crossing probably has water. Not too sure about Comanche, haven't been there yet. Jim might know.
Thanks, Taco. In a real pinch I guess I could check Comanche and if it's dry, just head to Third Stream Crossing. I can post my findings for others.

I'll check with Jim. Not sure if he's back from his latest trip yet.

Michael
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote: Third Stream Crossing probably has water. Not too sure about Comanche, haven't been there yet. Jim might know.
Third stream: water.
Comanche: Dry at last report. I haven't verified that personally.

HJ
SoCal Mike

Post by SoCal Mike »

Thanks so much, Jim. Looks like I'll get a longer walk; not a bad thing at all.

Michael
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Well, and if you do find water before 3rd Crossing, so much the better, right? Particularly in the vicinity of the falls, I would think you might find water before 3rd Crossing.

HJ
SoCal Mike

Post by SoCal Mike »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Well, and if you do find water before 3rd Crossing, so much the better, right? Particularly in the vicinity of the falls, I would think you might find water before 3rd Crossing.

HJ
Yes, indeed! The sooner I find some water the better.

Michael
SoCal Mike

Post by SoCal Mike »

I just wanted to say "thanks" for the water information. I just got back from a great, quick overnighter. Took Icehouse Canyon to the Saddle and then on to Comanche (dry, as reported) and Third Stream Crossing.

I ended up at what I think was Third Stream Crossing. There weren't any signs, so I'm not positive; but I was at a point where the trail clearly traversed the stream. Plenty of water and a beautiful spot. Short distance but steep climbing/descent with a full pack--a great work out!

Michael
mrnizegy

Post by mrnizegy »

Hi, does anybody have an online source for water availability for various trails in So Cal. I had found a resource a few years back but have not been able to find it again. I remember at the time some updates were more reliable and recent than others, but curious if anybody has a link to share.

FYI, I did call the Forest Service for water availability information but still curious about the online resource.

Thanks!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

I'm not aware of a ànf / San Gabriel mtns specific water report website. Perhaps you where thinking of the PCT Water report pctwater.com
mrnizegy

Post by mrnizegy »

mattmaxon wrote: I'm not aware of a ànf / San Gabriel mtns specific water report website. Perhaps you where thinking of the PCT Water report pctwater.com
Might have been. It was awhile ago, but I thought I remembered seeing locations that weren't on the PCT. I'm probably mistaken. Thanks for the reply.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Sean

Post by Sean »

FYI - The North Backbone to Baldy has a bit of snow on it. I could only see up to Pine, but I'm pretty sure there's even more snow beyond.

bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

I did Baldy using the ski hut trail yesterday, went up the right side of the bowl, and then descended the bowl on climber's left. There was snow down as low as the Icehouse Canyon trailhead, but it looked to be melting rapidly at the lower elevations. There was knee-deep powder in some spots in the bowl, only a few inches in others. As I exited around 1 pm, I found that half the population of Los Angeles had decided to drive up to Manker Flat and play with disks and toboggans.
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy Ben,

Thanks for the snow report -- hopefully this next system will bring in more snow for the bowl.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... GWPsIWcGcx

Might even have to bring snowshoes :)

Did you use any traction up or down?

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

Ellen wrote: Did you use any traction up or down?
Hi Ellen -- Nice to hear from you. I used microspikes on the trail, then switched to crampons at the ski hut. But realistically the whole thing was doable with boots. There was an excellent boot track going up the bowl.
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy Ben :)

Thanks so much 8) Hope to see you on a trail/mountain soon.

Miles of smiles,

Ellen
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

This is a weird one, not sure where to post reports of heinous air pollution pumpage. I was on the summit of Wilson yesterday afternoon, and it seemed like they were testing/maintaining generators...ALL the generators! Seemed like every diesel engine on the summit was running full beans. The resultant cloud of smog lingered in the canyon the rest of the day.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Tom Kenney wrote: Seemed like every diesel engine on the summit was running full beans.
Maybe they're running AC?
Sean

Post by Sean »

Due to the recent series of storms many mountain roads and trails are closed or experiencing delays.

According to LA County Public Works:

Glendora Mtn & Ridge Roads are closed.
Big Rock Creek Rd is closed.
ANF Hwy has delays north of Clear Creek.
Upper Big Tujunga Rd has delays.
Big Pines Hwy has delays.
Table Mtn Rd has delays.

While the website doesn't show the Wilson Road currently closed, it will probably be closed due to ice after this storm.

And Chantry Flats has been closed since the Bobcat Fire.

CalTrans has closed the ACH between Islip and near Big Pines.

The Baldy Road is still open but they recommend bringing chains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Wilderness Park in Claremont is closed until further notice. I expect to read about storm damage everywhere.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda