Baldy Bowl and Ski Hut Trail

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
cr2crf

Post by cr2crf »

Wanting to get up Baldy since our winter is about over and the weather is beautiful for hiking. How is the Ski hut route? Anyone been up it yet?
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy cr2crf :)

I went down the ski hut trail last Friday after going up Register Ridge to Baldy. There was some ice where the trail winds up through the little forest after crossing the bottom of the bowl. I used microspikes for that section -- didn't need them anywhere else.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
cr2crf

Post by cr2crf »

Ellen wrote: Howdy cr2crf :)

I went down the ski hut trail last Friday after going up Register Ridge to Baldy. There was some ice where the trail winds up through the little forest after crossing the bottom of the bowl. I used microspikes for that section -- didn't need them anywhere else.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Thanks for the reply and info. Anyone else? I can't believe no one else is hiking Baldy right now.
Sean

Post by Sean »

cr2crf wrote: Anyone else? I can't believe no one else is hiking Baldy right now.
Did it today in trail runners. Up Ski Hut, down Backbone. There's a bit of snow and ice here and there, climbing out of the bowl and just below the summit. But nothing problematic. It was friggin windy though. I wore pants, two shirts, light gloves, beanie, and handkerchief over face.
nickrp

Post by nickrp »

Hey all, planning on taking my wife and little sister up baldy for their first time this weekend and was curious about the current conditions. Planning to go up via the ski hut. Last time i did that trail (little over a month ago) there was show from the ski hut on. Up was fine, but down was a nightmare and wouldnt want to take my little sister down that. from my house (brea) it looks like baldy is "snowless" now, can anyone confirm?

Thanks in advance!
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy Nick :)

Went up Bear Canyon and down the Ski Hut trail yesterday, hardly any snow on either trail and easy to avoid.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Logan

Post by Logan »

How are the conditions on Baldy? I saw it from Baden Powell last weekend and it looked like a lot of Snow. Thanks
Sean

Post by Sean »

Last weekend there were small patches of snow in the bowl. Nothing to worry about though. It's probably all gone by now.
Logan

Post by Logan »

Trail was clear of any snow. I went up the backbone and down the ski hut trail. Weather was perfect. Thanks,
rocketboy

Post by rocketboy »

New to the area and looking into checking out Baldy this weekend. Looked like it got quite a bit of snow last weekend, but it's been getting progressively warmer since then.

Has any one been up (or going up today or tomorrow) and can speak to the conditions? Just trying to get an idea of what kind of gear I'm going to need.

I'm planning on taking the backbone straight to the summit.

Thanks!
Joelryan20

Post by Joelryan20 »

I'm leaving in a few minutes, and I'll be up in the Baldy Bowl area from tonight until Monday. I'll send out a conditions report when I get up to the Ski Hut wifi.
bschmalz

Post by bschmalz »

Let me know how the backbone trail is. I'm curious what that will be like next week.
aklackner

Post by aklackner »

I went up Mt. Baldy today from Bear Canyon with my friend Tom. Tom was in fine form but I managed to forget to eat before heading out and paid for it all the way up. The wind was out in places, mostly anywhere exposed on the South-East. I didn't mind it much and found it energizing. Tom who wore shorts said if he stopped he froze. There was snow on the trail in patches but with care we ascended without need for additional traction. Tom wore microspikes with his trail runners for the initial descent. I put on crampons for a 100' or so for the traverse that drops to the north-west side of the ridge near West Baldy (9440'). This section was too slick and slow to do without something on the way down (I expect it will stay so for the season), plus it was a winter trip right? Niether of us felt the need for an ice axe. Total round trip 7:30.
itsasmallgirl

Post by itsasmallgirl »

The most recent report I found was from the 17th with this picture http://i.imgur.com/fQjK6kp.jpg (Thank you scottawr)
Did anyone go this weekend? Are the trails clear of snow?
Thanks!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Things are mixed. There will be snow on north slopes, less elsewhere. There's a lot of patchy stuff out there. Not a lot of deep drifts, but there is snow.

The real danger now is ice. Get yourself killed on that stuff. Microspikes are a really good idea.

HJ
NOMAN668

Post by NOMAN668 »

I climbed it this morning via the Ski Hut trail. There was a small stretch of snow/ice on the north slope just above the ski hut, but otherwise everything is really dry. Only used microspikes descending (to go faster).

Climbed Baden-Powell Saturday. Huge difference- postholing and powder for 6 hours...
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the updates on trail conditions NOMAN...keep it up!!!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

We went up the Ski Hut and down the Backbone on Monday, December 23. NOMAN668 described the Ski Hut Trail well. There are more patches of snow on the backbone but it was easily passable at 11 AM. A couple of spots could get interesting after a cold night (hard freeze)
James

Post by James »

Anyone go up Ski Hut trail yesterday or today? With the recent warm weather wondering how much snow is there, if any.
Logan

Post by Logan »

I went up the backbone trail today. The weather felt like september. There was a few patches of dirty snow but nothing that could not be walked around. The wind was about 5 mph and not a cloud in the sky. Great day for a hike.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

I went up on the Baldy Flat trail on Friday. It was mostly clear. From the Hardscrabble Narrows to the summit there were patches of snow and ice. Most of it you could go around and the few you could not required some careful steps, but not many. Conditions are good, but no winter in sight. Is Winter Coming?
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Much less snow and ice now. No traction devices required. Still, the wind off the ice can be cold. I wore my down jacket for the descent.
Sean

Post by Sean »

From yesterday...

Taco

Post by Taco »

Oh man, gonna hafta bring the crampons! The Bowl is in perfect shape! :lol:
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Looks like Fall. Or Spring. Anything but Winter.
But since it's so nice out I'm going to hit the bowl trail and come down via backbone this weekend, my last hike for a couple months.
D-Day for the knee is Thursday.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Good luck on Thursday Jeff, let us know how it works out.

Phil
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Hiked to the summit on the Bear Canyon Trail yesterday. Most of the snow is gone. The only crossing of snow is on the traverse to West Baldy before the barren traverse and there is no exposure where the snow is; just boot prints to step in. The weather was great, a little windy in spots but that is expected on Baldy.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Made another trip up to the top today. But…I got to use my crampons! I put them on just below the hard scrabble narrows. not a lot of snow but icy. Closer to the top a dusting of snow over ice. If it were not for the steep sections, crampons would not have been needed. On the way down there was a good bit of melting, but that should be fixed with a cold night and another storm tomorrow night. I had the whole mountain to myself. Great day!
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Been meaning to suggest maybe we make this post a sticky? No point to really ever write a trip report up any of the standard routes, but conditions are always good to know.

Baldy obviously got hammered late last week. The snow should stick around a bit, but it may ice over soon. We were able to make it all the way up and down on Sunday with nothing more than micros and poles, soft new snow, probably a lot more slippery now. Hopefully another system moves in soon on top of this one, but it's pretty late in the season... Hope you enjoyed winter!

Lots more photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wattifoto/ ... 811477464/
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Wish I had been able to get out this weekend. It looks fantastic. Though…I can't imagine why you are wearing shorts.

Jerry