Burnt Peak

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

Has anyone ever hiked Burnt Peak (one of the few trails I could find in the Lancaster/Santa Clarita area)? I see it on AllTrails.com but there are no comments or photos. Just wondered, since I live so close.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Haven't heard of that one. Maybe KitFox or HikeUp have been out that way?

HJ
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

Thank you for the response!
Here's the link. It looks good but I hesitate because I don't see evidence that anyone goes there very often....
http://alltrails.com/trail/us/californi ... peak-trail
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

acme map

sierra club description

from the satellite image, looks like the fireroad to the top is fine. but I don't know if that is the "Burnt Peak" trail...
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

I don't know either, but when I check it out I'll bring back information (in case anyone else is stuck out in this area and would like a nearby hike) :)
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

burnt peak trail

ok so looks like that trail comes from the SW and wraps around the east side of burnt peak, looking at satellite I can see the trail in some spots, but hard to say that it is clear all the time. The fire break ridge route that veers off from the trail and heads north to the peak looks to have potential.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I know nothing! Nothing! :D
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

For all the links and for seeing what I couldn't--will try it once I find someone to hike it with and if it's decent I'll post something here (though it's not technically the San Gabriels) :)
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

:? I'm going to avoid the AllTrails site from now on--they claimed this was "difficult." Well, I'll keep looking in the area. Thank you SO MUCH for the links!!! :lol:
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Yep been there

It is a NHPS listed peak as is nearby Sawtooth Mountain

http://angeles.sierraclub.org/hps/guides/08b.htm

http://angeles.sierraclub.org/hps/guides/08c.htm

If you've been there you can pick it out from I-5

Cheers
Matt
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

wrote:ok so looks like that trail comes from the SW and wraps around the east side of burnt peak, looking at satellite I can see the trail in some spots, but hard to say that it is clear all the time. The fire break ridge route that veers off from the trail and heads north to the peak looks to have potential.
Those trails are mostly unmaintained more of a line on a map than an actual trail.

I know of one group who went from Atmore Meadows to Templin Hwy

The trail was overgrown down to Fish canyon where it disappeared there is no trail to speak of in the canyon. I suspect Burnt Peak "Trail" would be in a similar condition
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Haven't heard of that one. Maybe KitFox or HikeUp have been out that way?

HJ
That is a fun hike. I hiked that peak on July 2nd 2005.

The red "Y" on the map is the parking spot. The trail is an access road to the peak top. I believe this is a VOR station for pilots, on the peak top.

The big advantage to this peak is the seldom visited nature. No big crowds to spoil your trip.
dave

Post by dave »

The Burnt Peak trail goes from Fish Canyon Trail to the Maxwell dirt road. A long time ago the trail went all the way to Burnt Peak. Now, when you reach Maxwell Road you follow the Burnt Peak road to the top. I have hiked the section from Fish canyon to Maxwell road a few times. Using GPS the trail follows the topo map trail exactly. The first 1-2 miles of trail from Maxwell Road is in fair condition. After that it becomes overgrown with a few wash out. Difficult at best. On Sunday, 11/25/12 I will be leading a small group from Atmore Mdw to Lions Camp using the Fish Cyn Trail. We should be passing the Burnt Peak trail parking area around 07:30. Hope to see you there.
dave

Post by dave »

Stop by the Burnt Peak trail head and saw two parked cars. No one around so drove to Atmore Meadow and hiked Fish Canyon Trail to Lions Camp. The hikers were good, weather was great and lots of color. Lions Camp had plenty of shade and places to enjoy your lunch. We checked out the Burnt Peak trail by Fish Canyon Trail. It needs work. Taking a average pace we start the hike at 08:30 AM and were back to the car by 3:30 pm.