Agassiz & more - Labor Day Weekend 2010

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Thanks to the friends that i have made from this board I had 4 great days of hiking in the Sierra. Patrick (lilbitmo), Ernie (EmanBH), TracieB and Stacy (BiletChick) all headed north and we made camp at Lake Sabrina.

Friday afternoon after securing camp the boys and I headed up the Bishop Pass Trail and a quick trip toward the Treasure Lakes put Hurd Peak's NW face in front of us and at 4pm we gave it a go. By 6pm we still had not reached the summit so we descended with the lure of a campfire and dinner calling our name.

On Saturday we took off with the intent of doing Cloudripper, but after ascending a talus slope and heading a little too far east we decided Vagabond was our destination and enjoyed the views of the Palisades from it's summit.
The waterpipe short-cut
View of Mount Tom to the north
Patrick channeling his inner Beach Boy!
Like a giant harvest moon, Mount Sill rises above the ridge and takes our breath away with it's immense size
Window with a view
Patrick on the summit of Vagabond with Cloudripper and the Palisades in distance
Me and Ernie summit sittin’ at 13,374 feet
Enjoying the meadow at Green Lake
Alpenglow in Patrick’s shades
Mt. Humphreys calling us in challenge for another day.

Sunday, Ernie, Tracie and I headed up Bishop Pass and had a great day scrambling up the talused W slope of Agassiz. What FUN! It's the 20th highest peak in Calif and at 13,891 feet the so-called runt of the Palisades and again we were afforded awesome views of it's majestic neighbors. We felt like you could reach out and touch Sill, Thunderbolt and the whole gang.
The east face of Hurd reflected in long lake as we hike up the Bishop Pass Trail
Agassiz before us
Tracie and Ernie scramblin’
Tracie on the move
Crossing under this frozen slope
FUN talus
At the summit we acknowledged our SGMDF heritage!
Mount Sill, Thunderbolt and all the Pali’s in between.
Can you say BERGSCHRUND???
Beginning the descent
The Bishop Lakes

Monday, the girls took off for home and Ernie, Patrick and I chose to hike up the North Fork of Big Pine Creek to 2nd lake. The glacial fed lakes, the Palisades and the spectacular Temple Crag capped off a great weekend. I will be back up that trail later in the season to see Temple Crag with snow gracing it's towering gendarmes. It's a beauty!
Temple Crag and 2nd Lake.
Time to head home…

Not a bad weekend if you ask me!!!
Rest of my pix are here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma8 ... eekend2010#
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Um, could you stop posting beautiful photos of the Sierra while I'm my office please? You're making me nuts. :lol:

Looks like some really good stuff. Ah the Sierra. 8)

HJ
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Sure was a great time to be in the Sierra. For me, it was just what the doc ordered!

A few additional pics are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/EManBevHill ... directlink

A hearty thanks to all!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Thanks everyone for the great weekend - Stacy and I did a 7 mile loop of Lake Sabrina and Blue Lake, while Norma, Tracie n EMan were knocking it dead on Agassiz.
Four days of the Sierra's was assume :shock: :D
Friday afternoon - Hurd almost NHPS 11,600 quit elevation - (Don't let the sun go down on me :lol: but it was)
Saturday afternoon - Vagabond 13,200 - Cloudripper (next time, ran out of daylight :cry: )
Sunday - Blue Lake Trial 10,400 and a quick Hobo Shower in the lake :D
Monday - Lon Channey Cabin, Big Pine Creek Trail to Lake Two and a view of the Palisades - what more could you ask for :?:

Cannot wait to do it again. :shock:

My pictures here - Patrick's Pictures
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

I hope Patrick got a few pix of Stacy because she and I did not hike on Saturday - we played touristas and then went to sleep early, not seeing the others till the AM.

Ice covered the tables and our tents and everything else every morning. Sabrina campground is at around 9,000 ft. It was, however, very warm during the day. The camp hosts at Sabrina were a really interesting couple, and Stacy can expand on their many virtues. If you get a chance to meet them before they take off on their next adventure, I highly recommend it.

I really enjoyed hiking Agassiz with Norma and Ernie - my only regret is that Stacy and Patrick were not along. My photos are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29308219@N ... 9517/show/
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Yeah! You were able to recover the pix! :twisted:
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Great job organizing this, Norma; it looks like a good time was had by all. It was a beautiful weekend to be in the Range of Light and I'm pretty sure that I felt the good hiking vibes from you guys all the way over on Split Mtn! :D
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

@ Tracie, Yes there's a few of Stacy but I would have taken more but we were greeting and talking to everyone we saw so it just slipped my mind, next time I'll get more.

Also glad the software worked on the recovery - your pictures are amazing, nice shots.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Dave G wrote:Great job organizing this, Norma; it looks like a good time was had by all. It was a beautiful weekend to be in the Range of Light and I'm pretty sure that I felt the good hiking vibes from you guys all the way over on Split Mtn! :D
I really didn't organize this. Tracie picked the campground which was great and we were so thankful to get a site on a holiday weekend. I did throw out the ideas for certain peaks though. Glad to know the good vibes traveled the Sierra waves from us to you!
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Dave,

We sure were thinking of you. But where's the T/R? :P
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

EManBevHills wrote:Dave,

We sure were thinking of you. But where's the T/R? :P
Thanks for asking, EMan. Not much to report, though. For a variety of reasons it took a helluva lot longer then I planned, but since it was under 24hrs I guess it still qualifies as a dayhike :wink:
Pix are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042415@N ... 910012972/