Winter Climbing Gear Thread

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Obie requested a list/layout of the kit used when doing snow, rock, and ice routes in the winter. Kit always varies depending on what you're planning on doing, and what the conditions are (and your budget)! I'm going on an easy alpine route tomorrow ( http://www.summitpost.org/one-nut-wonde ... 40m/623018 ), so this post will show what I'll be using, more or less.

Clothing

Baselayers (photo came out all washed-out): Icebreaker Merino Wool 150 T-shirt (very thin), IB 150 boxer briefs, and Smartwool thin "Long Johns".
-For day climbs, I sometimes wear cotton tighty whiteys. Cotton is bad, generally speaking, but I need to keep my furniture in line, and don't have a wool equivalent. I typically wear the Smartwool LJ's over them when I do.
-Long Johns are good for when you'll be standing around belaying or camping. I often just wear the t-shirt and underpants under my hard shell top and bottom (both of which lack insulation), as that is warm enough for me. I tend to stay warmer longer than most folks, and am comfortable with being cold for long periods of time. Your mileage may vary.

Softshell top: I wear some sorta Arc'teryx Polartec top I got for X-mas a few years ago. It compacts down rather nice. I put this on if I'm going to be standing around, or climbing in cold weather (snowing, strong winds, spindrift avys, that kinda stuff).

Hardshell top: Sierra Designs Hurricane. Simple lightweight waterproof hardshell. I bought this because it was pretty cheap. No complaints. Squishes down into the little grey mesh panel you see on the inside of the hood. Becomes about the size of a 6" sub sammich.

Hardshell pants: Some sorta REI snow pant or something. Waterproof, pretty thick, very durable. Great for glissading. I've run over a buncha rocks and tree limbs while glissading, and there are no holes in it. Had this for a couple seasons.

Headwear: Sugoi balaclava on the left, and a generic beanie on the right. The balaclava is really nice, doesn't soak up water, and transfers moisture rather efficiently. The beanie is just one of about eighty trillion I have on hand. The one I use most is a Nike Dryfit, in white. It compacts down real small and is more efficient at not being really damn cold when wet than an acrylic or wool beanie.

Not pictured is a Soviet Ushanka, which I wear often when I have the space in my pack. It is very warm, but never too warm, and it looks really cool. Slavic climbers FTW.

GROBES! (Gloves in Japanese... ;-) ): Top left are some REI whatever waterproof gloves. They are nice and warm, and yep, waterproof. I think they were $60 bucks. On the top right is a new pair of Seirus gloves, which are said to be waterproof on the package, but in reality they're just neoprene. They'll get just as wet as anything else, but they remain warm, and they dry out real quickly. On the bottom is an old and worn out pair of REI fleece liners. I carry those as a backup for when the other pair I'm wearing is wet. I then shove the wet/cold pair into my jacket, pants, or someplace warm to dry them out.

Gloves are a very personal topic. I cannot afford the gloves I want, and to be honest I don't know if I'd even want those gloves (mixed/ice gloves), since nobody stocks them around here, so I can't try them on. Not that I can afford any of that anyway...

Footwear: Scarpa Charmoz GTX's. These are basically the same as La Sportiva Trangos, except they're blue. They're excellent for alpine climbing, ice climbing, and rock up to about 5.8 in friendly conditions.

I've got a pair of Smartwool Mountaineering socks in the picture. Underneath them is a pair of Injinji toe socks, which I've been wearing instead of other liners for a few climbs now. I really like them. I originally bought them for use with my Vibram Five Fingers. No complaints and no blisters since I've started using them. I woulda thought the low hem in the back would be a sore spot, but such is not the case.

Technical gear: I use Grivel Matrix Light ice tools. They're inexpensive (relatively speaking). They come with a hammer (really damn small hammer) head. One must buy the adze head separate for around $55, and CUT OFF the ends of the screws before replacing the hammer head. It's kind of a bitch. The end result is a pretty nice tool that works extremely well on alpine climbs, and OK on vertical water ice.

I've got a home made ice tool tether deal in blue right there. It was a pain in the ass to make, but it's way the hell better than leashes for alpine climbs. Again, your mileage may vary. I don't like using leashes in the mountains.

The crampons are the ubiquitous Grivel G12's. I've removed the spring steel adjustment deal for the center bar, and bolted the crampons. This is much more rigid, and I no longer have the problem of my crampons falling apart on easy terrain, as they had done twice before (once in a storm, Augie M. had to help me out with that one!). Horizontal front points are best for most mountain applications, such as alpine ice and snow, as vertical points shear out easily (according to all the books I've got... I don't have vert point pons). Vert points would be the dog's bollocks on mixed routes and hard ice routes.

The helmet is the usual Petzl something or other that everyone uses. I've got the somewhat-new Mammut Lucido TX-1 on it, which is quite powerful. I've got a sinking feeling I'll want to trade it in for a Petzl Myo... guess I'll find out when I actually have to use the thing.

Rack: A handful of nuts (lol), one #9 or so hex, a #2 or so Tricam (my favorite bit of kit ever ever ever), two old school I'm-broke-and-can't-afford-a-hamburger-let-alone-$60-apiece-ice-screws Salewa pound-start ice screws, one 12ft cord, two Prussik cords, one leaver locking biner, one large belay locker, one nut tool, and a Petzl Reverso 3 belay device. This rack is set up for One Nut Wonder on Telegraph Peak, which I am climbing tomorrow. Only one nut was used on our first ascent of that route a few years back, but conditions are much different now than then.

Pack etc: REI Flash 18 pack, some Oakley sunglasses, and a Casio Pathfinder watch (alti-baro). Not shown are the water bottle, snack bars, and dog tag with whistle that will also be carried tomorrow.
jjpicts

Post by jjpicts »

Do you like the Grivel as opposed to the BD Venom?
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

Nice! It's good to see all the tools. I'm stuck with being an armchair mountaineer for 6-10 weeks, so I shall live vicariously through all of these adventures. On a side note, I have a friend who had Testicular Cancer, and I dubbed him the One Nut Wonder. :lol:
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

We all know what Taco really wears when he climbs:
Taco

Post by Taco »

jjpicts wrote: Do you like the Grivel as opposed to the BD Venom?
Titan, nice! You had an injury or something? I probably missed something... got the memory of a 90 year old stoner. :lol:

I believe the Venom is lighter. I've handled but never climbed with them. They do not come with T-rated picks, which I believe are required equipment in the SG's due to our conditions, so I got the Grivels instead.

hvydrt, LOL.
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

Yeah, fractured my wrist last week. I am going to get put in a cast today for 6-10 weeks. I'll miss the Saturday get together this weekend, and many more unfortunately.
Taco

Post by Taco »

titanhangman wrote: Yeah, fractured my wrist last week. I am going to get put in a cast today for 6-10 weeks. I'll miss the Saturday get together this weekend, and many more unfortunately.
:( that's no bueno. Sorry to hear that. There will always be another day!
obie

Post by obie »

Hey Taco - thanks man for taking the time and putting this together!

It's cool to see what you're using - I'm a gear nut about my bike stuff and I dig seeing lists and pics of how people roll.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Being a gear guy is all part of being born a dude!!! Gear is cool.
OutdoorJ

Post by OutdoorJ »

Hey All,
I was curious how winter gear holds up in summer. What I mean is can I use the same rain jacket in winter and summer? Is there any real difference besides how may layers you use? What about tents as well? I recently was in the mountains in winter conditions and I came to two realizations. One...its absolutely beautiful....and two...I'm completely under geared for it. I'd like to get the right equipment so I can go hiking and backpacking in the dead of winter I'm just curious can the same gear be used in the summer? Thanks to all who respond.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I always use the same gear in summer as in winter, because it is hugely economically-impractical to have season-specific gear when you're a student. :-)

I do not use tents at all unless necessary. I prefer a bivy bag and a poncho liner, or a sleeping bag in the bivy bag.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

The beauty of this is in the layering. Layering is a huge part of how you get by in the changing conditions you find in the mountains. It's also a great way to get by in all seasons with additions/subtractions here and there. The same base layer I wear in the winter under my fleece or shell while active becomes my only layer in the summer, with another layer tossed on at night when you're around camp. The down jacket I carry in winter gets left at home in the summer, I use one of the sleeping pads I carry in the winter as my only pad in the summer, etc etc. The liner gloves I use in the winter under the heavy ones work great on their own when it's not so cold. You get the picture.

It's important to think about pieces of gear you buy and how they'll work with your other gear. This helps to reduce overlapping equipment.
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Thanks for the rundown, Taco! I've got a feeling that 2011 winter won't be spent in the desert. :D

I just wish REI would me a bone and put ice-axes on sales every once in a while.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Hell yeah. :-)