Roadies & Cars: another rider dies in OC

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
obie

Post by obie »

This is another in a series of deadly accidents in CDM/Newport area. Most of my friends & I train in this area and it is unsettling, to say the least, how many people go down out here.

Time for a mass ride thru some of the high-end enclaves up on the hills.

22 y.o. and 16 citations in 5 years and still has a license??!!!

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/r ... reads.html
simonov

Post by simonov »

obie wrote: 22 y.o. and 16 citations in 5 years and still has a license??!!!
She is from Newport Coast.

Reminder: the laws are for little people, NOT the residents of Newport Coast.

I'm surprised I have to explain these things.
Nunc est bibendum
obie

Post by obie »

Ten years ago I stopped taking work from that area.

Never regretted it.
obie

Post by obie »

How to work the system: Traffic School
http://www.dailypilot.com/news/tn-dpt-0 ... 0616.story

After reading this, if the information is correct, the woman has apparently been 'inside' the legal system amidst these past five years.

Begs the question then, what kind of family would allow this behavior to continue? The parents should be exposed for what they are (poor) and punished for what they have apparently allowed to happen here.

RIP: Amine Britel, 41 years old.
http://www.dailypilot.com/news/tn-dpt-0 ... 8451.story
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Maybe she's an illegal alien.
simonov

Post by simonov »

obie wrote: Begs the question then, what kind of family would allow this behavior to continue? The parents should be exposed for what they are (poor) and punished for what they have apparently allowed to happen here.
Same people who posted $100,000 bail to spring her.

Nothing is too good for our little Madison or Connor.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco

Post by Taco »

simonov wrote:
obie wrote: Begs the question then, what kind of family would allow this behavior to continue? The parents should be exposed for what they are (poor) and punished for what they have apparently allowed to happen here.
Same people who posted $100,000 bail to spring her.

Nothing is too good for our little Madison or Connor.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
simonov

Post by simonov »

How much treasure and favors did Don Haidl spend trying to spring his precious crotchfruit?

These people are disgusting.
Nunc est bibendum
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

simonov, you're like a Cairn Terrier pulling back the Orange Curtain :D
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

simonov wrote: Reminder: the laws are for little people, NOT the residents of Newport Coast.
The rich don't pay taxes, either. Leona Helmsley, the Queen of Mean, said: "We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes..."

A humorous quote ascribed to George W. Bush by the Doonesbury comic was "I hear the cries of the rich. I know their plight."
obie

Post by obie »

BiletChick

Post by BiletChick »

For those of you who do not know what this memorial means... http://ghostbikes.org/
It is brilliant!

Condolences to the rider's family.

I hope they lock this "kid" up for a LONG time!!!

Stacy
obie

Post by obie »

We had an incident up on Newport Coast this afternoon.

Driver came out of gated enclave at high speed (there are no posted speed limits on the many of the public roads up there) and had to quick stop as one of our group was crossing the road in front of her. Driver screams "Morons" at us and flys away.

Things are not good around there. So many crazy car drivers and loads of cyclists...some of whom are going too fast as well.

The locals up there treat the area as a private country club with their own interpretations of 'safe distance', 'appropriate speed for the conditions" and so on. Police are rarely, if ever, seen up there (Ridge Park & Vista Ridge). They need to do another "Safe Driving' day, like they did last month, and talk to BOTH car drivers and cyclists. Once the days get longer and all the racers and club riders start climbing up there I think we're going to have problems.

Both sides need to air it out and calm down. Strange vibe up there these days.

Be safe.
simonov

Post by simonov »

obie wrote: (there are no posted speed limits on the many of the public roads up there)
Clearly, in the mind of a typical Newport Beach resident, that indicates there is no speed limit at all!

Like the Autobahns!
Nunc est bibendum
obie

Post by obie »

simonov wrote:
obie wrote: (there are no posted speed limits on the many of the public roads up there)
Clearly, in the mind of a typical Newport Beach resident, that indicates there is no speed limit at all!

Like the Autobahns!
I stand corrected. There are two "45 MPH" signs, two "Deer" warning signs and a few "No parking anytime" signs on Vista and Ridge Park. I was up there this morning and checked it out. The signs are there, they're just not in what I would consider practical locations.

The speed signage are at the top of the hill and not in the middle where most of the communities are on Ridge and Vista. Also, they need more of them. Plus, "Share the Road with Cyclists" and some type of signage aimed at cyclists - more than a few of whom are hitting 50+MPH by the time they get to the mid section of those hills. I routinely hit 40 on Ridge with my MTB before I start breaking near the bend at Tesoro (where Daryl Benefiel got dusted a year ago )- that is one smooth, very fast road (according to my slightly outdated bike computer that is a 9% avg. grade with sections of 12%).

Also, with all the room on those roads I can't understand why there are no bike lanes. Given that they are two of best hills to climb in the immediate Costa Mesa/Newport area and, more importantly, how many hundreds of cyclists are up there daily, I don't understand why more attention isn't given to increased signage and bike lanes. Bike lanes serve as another warning sign to motorists to be aware of bikes and keeps some of the more manic DH bikers out of traffic lanes. It's a free-for-all up there right now.

If they added the extra markings in the already existing bike lanes on Bayside Drive ( I believe they call that "Sharrows" sp?) to protect all the locals from Balboa who use that to get to the ferry/beach/shopping and such, I then can't imagine bike lane markings on the hills would be such a big deal.