REI Dividend - It's finally here!

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Low enough that I can't really get any new, cool gadgets. So if I want to use it, I'll have to apply it to something more expensive, so I end up spending additional money anyway ("But you're saving money!").

It'd be cool if REI put up a "Convert dividend and donate to Red Cross" button on the website. That'd make it easy to avoid additional temptation, but as of now I've just spotted a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves...hmm...
Wild

Post by Wild »

bertfivesix wrote: It'd be cool if REI put up a "Convert dividend and donate to Red Cross" button on the website. That'd make it easy to avoid additional temptation, but as of now I've just spotted a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves...hmm...
Hehehe, that would be a great idea indeed. I would even donate my remaining balance (if I had one, mouhehe) to the classes and activities their organize over there.

Anyhow, ended up getting a new day pack since my old one was beat to shreds, and a minimalist bivy. After spending 6 nights in the desert in that thing, I am considering returning it. :( I don't know, I was surprised to find out I didn't really enjoy sleeping in it. I'm used to roughing it too.. oh well, maybe a different type of bivy would make a difference. Or maybe, I need to try it in the snow first...

Don, that's a good deal brother!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

It's that time of year again...

2011 REI dividend = $1.60

Top that!!!
Taco

Post by Taco »

Dude... $66 bucks! Thanks to you guys! :-)
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I'm embarrassed to say...however I can once again recommend the REI Visa reward card, and charging every single thing possible to it including utilities and vet bills.

Too bad for REI - I'm taking the cash, and buying a trailcam.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Gonna switch to the REI Visa this year..
everyday

Post by everyday »

I got nothin, I have no REI card, i bought a lot of stuff there too in the last year, how do you get em? theyve never asked me when Ive been there if I wanted a card, i didnt know they had 'em :( are they a free discount card like the kind you get at Albertsons? Or do you have to pay to get one, like Barnes n Nobles??
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

You just have to pay a one time fee of $20 and then you are a member for life. They have really awesome return policies for all their stuff too; and the 10% back at the end of the year is really nice too. I spent a ton on winter equipment last year so I ended up with a $328 refund this year. Not too shabby if I must say so.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

everyday wrote: I got nothin, I have no REI card, i bought a lot of stuff there too in the last year, how do you get em? theyve never asked me when Ive been there if I wanted a card, i didnt know they had 'em :( are they a free discount card like the kind you get at Albertsons? Or do you have to pay to get one, like Barnes n Nobles??
They operate similar to a Co-op, you have indirect ownership of the company through dividens that they give back to you at the end of the year. 10% as mentioned, getting the VISA card just get's you a better return on your money, they give you points for every dollar you spend on that credit card, so at the end of the year they total both the dollars spent on at all the stores and every dollar speant on the credit card and send you a coupon stating how much you have coming, plus along with that they always send you a 20% one time discount on any one item - so most people tend to wait for these to buy something they want real bad but is normally too expensive and between the discount and the "dividens" it becomes reasonable priced.

You can go online and fill out both a credit card application and a membership card - I'm pretty sure of that. And each time I've ever been at the cash register they always ask do I have a membership card, I cannot ever remember then not asking - which one have you been going to that they didn't ask, might say something to management about that?

Hope this helps :D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

cougarmagic wrote: I'm taking the cash, and buying a trailcam.
Hmmm. Give me the cash and I'll sit in the woods with my point 'n shoot for a week? :wink:
Would I have to wear cologne?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

HikeUp wrote: Hmmm. Give me the cash and I'll sit in the woods with my point 'n shoot for a week? :wink:
Would I have to wear cologne?
Yes. And also coyote pee. And skunk oil. But that's it.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

So it's a deal! I'll have my people contact your people...
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

$78.66

Time to go buy some more stuff :)
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

$23.22 for me - enough to make a difference for some new shoes, esp with the 20% discount.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

I have the REI Visa now, maybe Ill see more. I use it for everything then pay it off at end of the month. I met a guy who pays his mortgage on the visa then pays it off each month. He said he gets a huge amount back each year.
everyday

Post by everyday »

@lilbitmo- i dunno what one I go to...I always just go with Ryan, im not sure what town we're in when we get there :)
Taco

Post by Taco »

Arcasia. (Arcadia to those who weren't issued a sense of humor)
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

$32.96. Planning to move to the REI Visa as soon as I can use those damn Cabelas points.

Picked up a 9.8mm x 70m Mammut Climax rope for about $75 after clearance price and 20% off and dividend.
Rudy Rodriguez

Post by Rudy Rodriguez »

This might be the first time in over 10 years that I don't get a dividend check. I can't remember. Amazon.com and eBay seem to have taken some of my Rei business.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I soooo wanted to use the 20% coupon on a $600 four-season tent, but REI's tent selection is lousy.

So I bought a pair of overprice photochromatic glacier glasses instead:

:cool:
Nunc est bibendum
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Once again, it's that time of year!

This years dividend is $2.05. More than last year - yay!
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Make sure you choose wisely when shopping with that windfall.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

85.68 refund. im gonna get the big agnes ul2 tent with the refund and 20% off.
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

I got the largest refund I have ever received; $426. It's time to go shopping at REI this weekend!!!
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Dragon wrote: I got the largest refund I have ever received; $426. It's time to go shopping at REI this weekend!!!
Damn :shock:

Mine was $113 from using the REI visa. Thought it would be more, but you dont get anything back when you use it on sale or items from the outlet page. Oh well the savings on that page are better than the amount you would get back.
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

I have to admit I was in shock when I opened my dividend letter last night. I knew it was going to be big, but that big?
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Damn Dragon, I've got dividend envy.
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Woohoo! $11.65! Man, I better not spend this all at once :lol:
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

$174 - I'm up $40 from last year. :(
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

$18.98, up from $0 last year. Apparently, between July and December, you can show up at an REI store and receive the dividend in cash or by check.