WTB: Bike Touring Shtuff

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Taco

Post by Taco »

This was a poll. These haven't been imported. Sorry.
Socalhiker

Post by Socalhiker »

Walmart has one for $30 with :shock: 100lbs capacity.
I just put one on but have not had a chance to confirm their claim but even if it hold 50lbs......
I sat on it(I'm about 160lbs) and it seems pretty firm.

They're only available online though.
Hope this helps.
obie

Post by obie »

Taco wrote: lJust looking for anything solid and cheap. If you have something rusting away, not being used, and you wanna sell that thing, hit me up.
Taco, I got one of those plus a bunch of stuff (need another MTB?)you might find useful.

I'll be at JTree this weekend. Baldy Village the next weekend. If interested I can throw the stuff in the truck this weekend or, when I get back can send up some pics.
obie

Post by obie »

Good pics and reviews:

http://www.bikepacking.net/
Taco

Post by Taco »

Thanks guys!

Obie, I need something for long distance touring, something to ride to the Sierra with and do some alpine climbing.
obie

Post by obie »

Taco wrote: Thanks guys!

Obie, I need something for long distance touring, something to ride to the Sierra with and do some alpine climbing.
Cool.

So this will be a road bike tour?

I been building this over the past two years for road/dirt rides. It's my old '93 Trek 720 with cro-moly steel frame, bombproof new wheelset, and currently running 32c wide tires. It's strong enough to handle gear racks (front/rear) and climbs well enough - I've done the fire road to the Notch with this rig.

If I were going to tour I'd throw most of the money on the wheelset if you're packing more than 25# of stuff.

Old Treks (made in Wisconsin) are still plentiful and they were solid bikes.

Need to upgrade the shifters - kept the original 'Grip Shifters' and, while they work very well, they take up too much room on the bar. Ideally I would like drop handlebars and brifters for this to be a proper long tour bike.

Taco

Post by Taco »

Exactly. Something I can do 160 miles on paved roads on, and then do maybe 20 miles of graded gravel with.

I despise grip shifters! I'd burn them alive.

Other than that, spot on! Something for long distance comfort, and eventually a trip to China with some climbing gear in tow for m4d s1ck alpine first ascent goodness.