INTROS - New members, introduce yourself here!

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Breabonnie

Post by Breabonnie »

Breabonnie: My name is Bonnie Winberg and I live in Brea, CA.
What kinda stuff you do: Hiking mostly and nature photography of my hikes. I'm on facebook. You can check out my photos there that I make public of hiking trips and send me a message.

Intro/bio: I enjoy hiking waterfall trails mostly, but also get a fun challenge out of peak bagging. I enjoy taking folks who have never had the chance to see the beauty here in our local mountains and show them what they are missing. I can follow a map and not get lost or turned around and many trails I have been on again and again so I know distance and avg time for completion which is a useful skill.
Been married for 18 years. Have two children. My youngest was born with muscular dystrophy so I am also a stay at home caregiver and hiking is my way of escape for my own well being and exercise.

I offer my services as a paid tour guide to youth groups, Church groups seeking hiking over night retreats, special event hiking groups, ie: birthday, anniversary, fall color tour, retirement, engagement. I can also take photos of your adventure so you don't have to.

Send me an email if you want more information or ask a question about a trail etc.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Welcome, guys. 8)
Pretendingtowork

Post by Pretendingtowork »

Thomas, my son Josh is my hiking partner
I am 34, he is 5.
We like to hike, backpack, camp, fish...just be outdoors
Met a member on the trails and he recommended this place to me so I figured I would check it out. I like this place a lot, good info, can't wait to add some of my own.
olo0002

Post by olo0002 »

hello all. I am Olo Peat.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Goodbye, you are a bot.
Rudy Rodriguez

Post by Rudy Rodriguez »

Hello I'm Rudy. I'm 41, this month! I love the San Gabriel mountains. I've been hiking these mountains since the 1970s. I go hiking and camping alone. I like camping in campgrounds and secret wild spots. The longest stretch I've spent in the mountains here was a month and a half. I never take water with me: I've been drinking the water in these creeks and rivers for over three decades and never got ill from doing so. I don't recommend you do it but it suits me fine. I speculate that i may have developed an immunity to a degree but I'm just glad to have a source of H2O that i don't have to carry. I also collect knives, and i am studying to become a Registered Nurse. I'm heavy for my height so even though i can hit the back country i do travel real slowly.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Welcome Rudy! Good to see another guy out there who drinks locally. :-)
ReconRonin949

Post by ReconRonin949 »

Me: Spencer, 44 yrs, live in Orange County, married with two kids, er, young adults.
Like: Time outdoors, winter mountaineering, traveling, new gear, gas in my truck, sharp crampons, backcountry travel, skiing, Ecuador's volcanos, Starbucks' Via coffee.
Dislikes: Blisters, permits and lotteries, tears in my gaiters from sharp crampons, trash on the trail, flat Mtn bike tires, and pretty much other stuff I don't like.

Glad to be on this site. Hope to get some good info, and I will post some of my trip reports and gear tests that I do from time to time. Next review will be on First Ascent's Alchemist 40 pack. Just got it in the mail and hope to start with it this weekend. Oh yeah, how do I post pictures?
Taco

Post by Taco »

Howdy!

To post pics, you'll need to host them on a site like Photobucket, and then use the OLD, BROKEN INSTRUCTIONS

Cheers, and welcome aboard!
Doc Mark

Post by Doc Mark »

Greetings, All,

I found this forum whilst checking out a few good places to backpack, hike, and camp in the SGM. My wife and I have done over 1,200 miles of the PCT, including all the SGM sections, and we look forward to getting back into this area.

I know Hikin' Jim, and we met on the Classic Campstoves forum, where I have been a member for many, many years. I've been a stove collector since way back before electricity was invented, and now have over 500 stoves, the oldest being from 1872. I love fettling (fixing and repairing) them back to life, and have Stovie Friends all over the world, thanks to our mutual love of those hot little numbers! HJ and I have planned some snow camps together, but so far, due to work demands for both of us, have been unable to make such a trip take place, though we did enjoy a great day hike in Ice House Canyon a while back. In any case, I thought I'd go ahead and join up, as this seems like a great place to get lots of great info about the SGM area, and to meet others of like mind. I won't be here near as much as I am at CCS, as time just doesn't permit it. But, I'll stop by to see what's shaking here as often as I can, and look forward to more reading, and meeting some of the "locals" from TSGMF. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc
Taco

Post by Taco »

Welcome, Doc Mark!
Doc Mark

Post by Doc Mark »

Evening, Taco,

Thanks, very much, for the nice welcome. You have a great resource here, for folks that like to get out and about in our local mountains. I look forward to spending some time here, reading trip reports, and hiking suggestions from you and your members. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Doc Mark wrote: Greetings, All,

I found this forum whilst checking out a few good places to backpack, hike, and camp in the SGM. My wife and I have done over 1,200 miles of the PCT, including all the SGM sections, and we look forward to getting back into this area.

I know Hikin' Jim, and we met on the Classic Campstoves forum, where I have been a member for many, many years. I've been a stove collector since way back before electricity was invented, and now have over 500 stoves, the oldest being from 1872. I love fettling (fixing and repairing) them back to life, and have Stovie Friends all over the world, thanks to our mutual love of those hot little numbers! HJ and I have planned some snow camps together, but so far, due to work demands for both of us, have been unable to make such a trip take place, though we did enjoy a great day hike in Ice House Canyon a while back. In any case, I thought I'd go ahead and join up, as this seems like a great place to get lots of great info about the SGM area, and to meet others of like mind. I won't be here near as much as I am at CCS, as time just doesn't permit it. But, I'll stop by to see what's shaking here as often as I can, and look forward to more reading, and meeting some of the "locals" from TSGMF. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc
Welcome, Doc.

HJ

P.S. If you think I know anything about stoves, just start talking to Doc. No comparison.
Doc Mark

Post by Doc Mark »

Hey, HJ,

Thanks for the welcome and the nice comment! (I'll give you your dollar later, OK?!) :wink: :D :D Might be a tad too late for our snow camp (again) this year. Let's plan for it next year. Looking forward to seeing you at the CASG6. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Doc Mark wrote: Might be a tad too late for our snow camp (again) this year.
Yeah, things got a little banged up this year with me being out of work. Things are hopefully looking up now. Lots of good spring hiking right now...

HJ
GandC

Post by GandC »

Hey y'all.

I registered for this site a long while back, and never really got started reading or posting. This past weekend up on Timber Mountain I found a couple of stickers advertising the site and thought I'd come back by and check it out a little more in depth. Great site!

Looking forward to reading more, and hopefully providing what little knowledge I have of these local mountains when I can. Thanks for the hard work.

Erik
JDB22

Post by JDB22 »

Hello internet mountain friends,

My name is Jeremy & I'd registered for the forum a few months back and have been thoroughly enjoying all the posts and peoples updates. Cheers for setting up to wonderful communication for the city dwellers to look forward to the next trip to the mountains.

I am an avid day hiker in my mid 20's with many 3 days weekend trips throughout the year for good measure. Often times the office gets in the way, but the outdoors are always the best place.

See ya'll out there.
jfr

Post by jfr »

GandC wrote: This past weekend up on Timber Mountain I found a couple of stickers advertising the site and thought I'd come back by and check it out a little more in depth. Great site!
Erik
Well, those stickers just might have been left by me, so it's nice to know that they work! :) Welcome to the forum, even if you joined long ago. Post a trip report (with pictures!) if you feel like it. Everyone likes finding out about a new place to check out. Or to find out how an old place is doing.

As for me, I mostly just read the forum, but I'm not afraid to post a trip report once in a while. And now I HAVE to post one, because HikeUp said that he'd do something bad if he found out that someone here was hiking without properly reporting it. I'll post it next week. Really. Meanwhile, I gotta go backpacking again this weekend...
My hiking trip reports: https://hikingtales.com/
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

That's what I'm talking about right there! :lol:
hdang

Post by hdang »

Hello everyone

I've been lurking on this site for awhile now so I think its about time I introduce myself.

My name is Harrold. I'm 25. I enjoy hiking, rock climbing, and most recently canyoneering (trip report coming soon, when I have time to write it and figure out how to post pictures)

My last name is Dang, so that explains my username. Hope to hear and share more amazing stories soon.

BTW: Taco I was the one with friend with the busted chin at the end of eaton (more on that to come as well). Sorry I didn't introduce myself, I was trying to get my friend to the hospital as soon as possible.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Howdy! How did that turn out?

Cheers dude!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

hdang wrote: I've been lurking on this site for awhile...
I guess there are a lot of lurkers out there. Each of the past two weekends I've been asked "are you Hikin' Jim?" by people who read this forum but don't post.

How did they recognize me? Apparently there aren't that many people hiking out there that carry two year olds. :lol:

hdang: Thanks for introducing yourself, and I hope your friend is OK,

HJ
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
hdang wrote: I've been lurking on this site for awhile...
I guess there are a lot of lurkers out there. Each of the past two weekends I've been asked "are you Hikin' Jim?" by people who read this forum but don't post.

How did they recognize me? Apparently there aren't that many people hiking out there that carry two year olds. :lol:

hdang: Thanks for introducing yourself, and I hope your friend is OK,

HJ
I get the same thing Jim from my avatar :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

yobtaf wrote: I get the same thing Jim from my avatar :lol:
Well, the resemblance is striking. :wink:

HJ
McFlyfi

Post by McFlyfi »

Hi!
I found this forum because a buddy linked a report.
My handle is a combination of my initials and an abbreviation of "flyfishing"

My main interest is flyfishing, and backpacking to get to said flyfishing. The Kern River drainage is my specialty, as we have a little cabin in the area. Makes for a great jumping off point for flyfishing adventures.

I have done some "crazy" adventures (not my word)- Tehipite Valley, Coyote Lakes to name a couple of the more adventurous ones.

Love the outdoors, my daughter is now 8, I took her backpacking for the first time when she was 3 months old (well, she was in the front pack), I am hoping she'll share my wife's and my sense of adventure in the outdoors.

Hope to be able to contribute!

Matt
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

McFlyfi wrote: I have done some "crazy" adventures (not my word)- Tehipite Valley, Coyote Lakes to name a couple of the more adventurous ones.
Hi, Matt,

Welcome.

Interestingly, I ran into some backpackers on Saturday on the trail near Jerkey Meadows that said that they had been to Coyote Lakes.

HJ
tracker

Post by tracker »

I usually lurk for a while before saying "Hi" but with the afternoon off today I decided to make a post.
I imagine a lot of folks on the board can say this, but I can see the SGM from my living room. I grew up in Long Beach (Millikan, '75) and used to gaze at them whenever the air was clean enough to see them. It seemed like Belflower Blvd. went straight to Mount SA. When I got older I moved a little closer.

I don't have any good pics of myself. I usually have a camera when I'm hiking around but I don't often have someone to take a picture.

Screen-name? Reading sign and watching the ground is something I've always been interested in. If the pic I shrunk down for my avatar doesn't show up good, I'll find another.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Reading sign and watching the ground is something I've always been interested in. If the pic I shrunk down for my avatar doesn't show up good, I'll find another.
It sure looks fine to me! :D Welcome.
tracker

Post by tracker »

:oops: Doh!
I just noticed my post didn't show up in the intro thread like I wanted it to.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

It's all good. :)

HJ