INTROS - New members, introduce yourself here!

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
El Coyote

Post by El Coyote »

Buenos nachos all,

Name: El Coyote - man of mystery

Stuff I do: trail running, hiking, mountain biking, canyoneering (novice), kayaking, HAM radio

Intro/bio: I've lived the majority of my life in the shadow of the San Gabriels. My weekends typically consist of solitary adventures in the front ranges but I'm constantly/obsessively exploring areas new to me. No matter how far I go though, I feel there's so much to do and see.

Came across this site a few months back Googling. It was time to register. I hope I can contribute some knowledge and experience to the forum.

-EC
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Welcome!

HJ
BrownMtnBob

Post by BrownMtnBob »

Name's Bob; and, I spend a lot of time on or around Brown Mtn in the San Gabs. That's pretty much my backyard.

Age- over 40, still feel 25

Stuff I do- Mtn Bike, Hike, Peak Bagging, Kayak, Motorcycling, Solo-Adventuring, Read, Ski....amateur inventor

Bio- originally from back east (some place hot, flat and dumb) but been out here for 10 years or so. Can't beat being able to get out and do whatever it is you enjoy, about 350 days a year. Built up a biz and sold it. Need to repeat....:roll: As mentioned, love spending time outdoors. You can find me most days (at some point) somewhere in the San Gabs on my mtn bike, training for the next climb (Iron Mtn is next followed by White Mtn Peak).

Think I cam across this site as it was included as a link when I was researching Iron Mtn.

Keller and Crook's Needle on way to Whitney summit
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hey, Bob,

Welcome. Got any good hiking inventions? :)

HJ
galt1905

Post by galt1905 »

I'm Matthew.

Like many, I'm getting increasingly older, which is quite depressing. Still, I'm just 32, and my engine has a lot of miles left.

FYI stuff: I enjoying playing soccer and bass. I'm spending more and more time on the latter these days. I also enjoy reading, making yummy smoothies, being around sports, spending time with my lazy pooch, and working.

What else was I supposed to say... Well, I'm looking forward to learning a lot and sharing what little I know with others!
Sean

Post by Sean »

Hi Matthew,

I assume from your screen name that you're a big fan of Ayn Rand. So am I. Welcome to the forum!

Sean
TOLES

Post by TOLES »

hello everybody!

my name is Scott,
TOLES is my internet gaming handle, the name was born trying to type my name drunk one night.

I'm 23 years old i needed an activity after my lacrosse career finished.

hiking and backpacking was how my dad and i used to spend our summers but after 2-3 years of loosing sight of nature, I'm back and ready to put bootprints all over california.

found this site looking for trip reports.

my home turf is the Santa Ana mountains
FiveCharlie

Post by FiveCharlie »

Name: Blake, username is my Radio Designator @ work.

What kinda stuff you do: Backpacking, Hiking

Intro/bio: Stumbled upon this website looking for routes up Twin Peaks from the West Fork... Lots of good info on here, Ive seen most of the SG backpacking and hiking and other portions of it when it's on fire.. I'm a Hotshot on an ANF crew. Looking for new XC hikes and places to explore while trying to avoid pot farms.. Excited to get some ideas from everybody!

Iron Mt last week..

"Work" in AZ
bravefanla

Post by bravefanla »

Greetings All,

I joined this forum last week and came across the "Introduce Yourself" thread yesterday. Not wanting to lurk in the shadows I thought I'd post my introduction.

My username is because I'm a diehard Atlanta Braves fan and have been since the 80's. My name is Kevin, I'm 48 years young and live in Pasadena with my gorgeous wife and two beautiful daughters (8 & 6). Both of my girls are awesome but my youngest is in advanced gymnastics and is my future Olympian!

My parents divorced when I was young so I split time b/w Northern California (think Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen) and Western Kansas, which was great because it put me close to the Rockies. I developed a love of the outdoors at a young age and have been hiking and fishing since I was 8 years old. I spent 8 years in the Army and had to carry 80+ lbs on my back, however, new equipment and experience now lets me hit the trail for 6/7/8 night hikes with 20/25lbs. My passions are hiking/backpacking and fishing (both fly and lure). To date I've bagged twelve 14,000 ft peaks and will keep knocking them off my list until my body gives out.

I would love to tackle the PCT but work and family make that impossible. However, I have hiked sections of both the PCT and the JMT and if there are two more beautiful trails in the world I haven't seen 'em.

The picture in my avatar is me at East Lake last summer, which is one of my favorite spots in the Sierras. Two summers ago I spent 3 nights there with a couple of friends and we didn't see a soul for the entire time!

That's it. I look forward to reading posts about everyone's adventures and perhaps hitting the trail with some of you in the near future.

Kevin

PS. If you want to see a bear encounter check out "Vidette Meadow Bear" on youtube. The video is shortly after the two of us almost ran into each other crossing a log. He was a big boy but we gave him plenty of space and he went on about his business and didn't bother us.
EQPlayer

Post by EQPlayer »

Hello there everyone, just found this forum. I've hiked a few of the lower peaks in the San Gabriels, planning on more. My biggest planned excursion is Iron Mountain, from everything I've read it sounds massively fun.

Different topic, does anyone know if the Station Fire area is reopen? I've seen some peaks in the area that need to be climbed.

See you on the mountain.
Sean

Post by Sean »

EQPlayer wrote: Different topic, does anyone know if the Station Fire area is reopen?
They reissued the closure order this week.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/angeles/alerts-notices
vettingman

Post by vettingman »

Greetings. Rich here. 1N34 AAT member with Scouts West since 1992.
cheers.
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

Hi from the FNG!

Was doing research and found your site, the jokes thread prompted me to join. I'll be postin a few.....

Been hiking the East Fork since I was about 16-17, then life intervened, now back.

It's late, but want to pic a few brains out there soon. Back soon.

Set up a base at Guffy, been there since about mid May, came down week ago and am currently watching my kids place in HB while they are on vacation, July 16'th headed back up for 2 months up in da high country. Say hi if you wander by!

We're off to see the wizard......

Click to see full size image

Cabin Flat Camp......an few weeks of not shaving.

Yea, I was in the Boy Scouts....but I was kicked out for eating Brownies.
HikeItOrLoseIt

Post by HikeItOrLoseIt »

Hello all. I just joined this message forum to read about and plan new and exciting hikes that I haven't done yet in the area. A little about me. I am 29 years young, about to turn 30...but age is just a number. As far as my username...well its just a play on words...you know, "Use it or lose it", except "HikeItOrLoseIt" refers to trail legs, which means if you are in condition to do the big hikes, keep doing them or you will lose that conditioning. It is really nice to be able to wake up after a 25 mile day and not be sore, and bust out another one. You will probably also see me refer to myself as Amigo. That is my alter ego, my alias, my trail name given to me on the PCT. It has a little to do with the big straw hat, but more to do with a specific event in mount laguna, where, right after purchasing my hat, I bought 4 cans of chilli and tortillas and hiked to shrine camp and made burritos for all my fellow thruhikers. So as far as hiking history... I have been hiking and backpacking seriously for about 6 years now. My first hike was a fire road behind my house in the santa ana mountains, a week later I hiked Baden-Powell and the following weekend San J via Marion Mtn. Since then it has all been good times, and since I did C2C last fall I have been looking for more challenging hikes to test myself and push myself to my limits. I just got back from a failed attempt at thru-hiking the PCT. I made it from the border to Mammoth before a foot injury forced me off the trail for the season. All I can say is that I am in love with the sierras after hiking most of the JMT as well as dayhiking Whitney from the east and west side, mt Langley and Split mtn. So after recouping from my 900 miles this summer, I have plans to use the trail legs I have earned for evil...and that means lots of hard hikes. I'll be on here scouting for routes that sound like joyful punishment and I will post trip reports whenever possible. Feel free to PM me with invites to some really fun hikes...for example, I will be hiking Baldy from the village and 3 T's this Sunday at 6:30 a.m...come one come all, I'll be in the gold shirt with the huge straw hat. Until next time, Happy Trails!
-Amigo
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat!"
Taco

Post by Taco »

Search for the Death March on here.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

HikeItOrLoseIt wrote: Hello all. I just joined this message forum to read about and plan new and exciting hikes that I haven't done yet in the area. A little about me. I am 29 years young, about to turn 30...but age is just a number. As far as my username...well its just a play on words...you know, "Use it or lose it", except "HikeItOrLoseIt" refers to trail legs, which means if you are in condition to do the big hikes, keep doing them or you will lose that conditioning. It is really nice to be able to wake up after a 25 mile day and not be sore, and bust out another one. You will probably also see me refer to myself as Amigo. That is my alter ego, my alias, my trail name given to me on the PCT. It has a little to do with the big straw hat, but more to do with a specific event in mount laguna, where, right after purchasing my hat, I bought 4 cans of chilli and tortillas and hiked to shrine camp and made burritos for all my fellow thruhikers. So as far as hiking history... I have been hiking and backpacking seriously for about 6 years now. My first hike was a fire road behind my house in the santa ana mountains, a week later I hiked Baden-Powell and the following weekend San J via Marion Mtn. Since then it has all been good times, and since I did C2C last fall I have been looking for more challenging hikes to test myself and push myself to my limits. I just got back from a failed attempt at thru-hiking the PCT. I made it from the border to Mammoth before a foot injury forced me off the trail for the season. All I can say is that I am in love with the sierras after hiking most of the JMT as well as dayhiking Whitney from the east and west side, mt Langley and Split mtn. So after recouping from my 900 miles this summer, I have plans to use the trail legs I have earned for evil...and that means lots of hard hikes. I'll be on here scouting for routes that sound like joyful punishment and I will post trip reports whenever possible. Feel free to PM me with invites to some really fun hikes...for example, I will be hiking Baldy from the village and 3 T's this Sunday at 6:30 a.m...come one come all, I'll be in the gold shirt with the huge straw hat. Until next time, Happy Trails!
-Amigo
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat!"
Was on Baldy main trail this morning, kept me eyes open for anyone wearing a wide brimmed hat but did not see you. If you did the Three - T's and then backbone to the summit of Baldy you may have seen me, I was going straight down the face of the bowl on the north between 9:58 and 10:26 when I reached the Ski Hut depending on how early you started?
Hope to catch you out there, hope you post a TR and pictures of the outing?

Lilbitmo :D
HikeItOrLoseIt

Post by HikeItOrLoseIt »

lilbitmo wrote:
HikeItOrLoseIt wrote: Was on Baldy main trail this morning, kept me eyes open for anyone wearing a wide brimmed hat but did not see you. If you did the Three - T's and then backbone to the summit of Baldy you may have seen me, I was going straight down the face of the bowl on the north between 9:58 and 10:26 when I reached the Ski Hut depending on how early you started?

Hmm...well we left from the village at 6:30 and summited at 10...we came down the devil's backbone not too long after that...maybe 10:15 so it is possible you were close, but I didn't see anybody descending the bowl...man that must have been an interesting descent... I only took pics of me at the peaks since I have been up there enough to have pics of pretty much everything, plus with all the haze it wasn't a good day for pics of the views. I still haven't summited baldy from the backbone, so maybe a 3 T's to notch to baldy trip is in order just to round out all the trails...then I'm really interested in doing the summit via Iron Mtn. and the traverse of the ridge in between...maybe when its a little cooler out but before the snow ;) I'll work on a trail report, but it was pretty uneventful...just walking ya know...
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

HikeItOrLoseIt wrote:
lilbitmo wrote:
HikeItOrLoseIt wrote: Was on Baldy main trail this morning, kept me eyes open for anyone wearing a wide brimmed hat but did not see you. If you did the Three - T's and then backbone to the summit of Baldy you may have seen me, I was going straight down the face of the bowl on the north between 9:58 and 10:26 when I reached the Ski Hut depending on how early you started?

Hmm...well we left from the village at 6:30 and summited at 10...we came down the devil's backbone not too long after that...maybe 10:15 so it is possible you were close, but I didn't see anybody descending the bowl...man that must have been an interesting descent... I only took pics of me at the peaks since I have been up there enough to have pics of pretty much everything, plus with all the haze it wasn't a good day for pics of the views. I still haven't summited baldy from the backbone, so maybe a 3 T's to notch to baldy trip is in order just to round out all the trails...then I'm really interested in doing the summit via Iron Mtn. and the traverse of the ridge in between...maybe when its a little cooler out but before the snow ;) I'll work on a trail report, but it was pretty uneventful...just walking ya know...
If you came up the Bear Flats/Village Trail and you summited by 10 AM you missed me by less than three minutes, you might have walked right past the others from my group they were headed to W. Baldy at 5 minutes till 10 while I headed down. If you saw three guys and one lady (she has a cowgirl hat with red hair) walking away from the main Baldy Summit that was our group heading like they were going down the village trail that was our group.

The bowl can be crazy unless you are used to "scree-sading" sort of like "glissading" on rock, gravel and small boulders. It tears up boots and shoes so I wouldn't recommend it unless you are wearing an older pair (I just keep putting new coats of RTV on them).

The Iron/Baldy Traverse is a very big day but you will like it, most do it with a car shuttle and go from the the Heaton Flat side up to Iron then to Baldy out through Manker Flats then go back and get the other car. Very few have done the Manker over Baldy/West Baldy to Iron, then reversed course back to Manker, we did that in December and it's an absolute butt kicker.

In November I'm willing to give at least "one-half" of the Death march a go, I'd be willing to do the Wright Mountain, to Pine, to Dawson, to Baldy, to West Badly, to Iron and out through Heaton Flats. The other half is to continue up from Heaton Flats to Rattle Snake, then up to S. Hawkins, Middle Hawkins, Saddie Hawkins, North Hawkins, Throop, Barnham and finish with Mount Baden Powell, then walk down to Vincent Gap and then call for a ambulance (JK :wink: ) it's quite the challenge and no one has done it since myself and one other hikers thru down the challenge back in 2010, one person tried but the area between Rattlesnake and S. Hawkins was a jungle and he had to quit at darkness having made the first half and tried to come back by way of Vincent Gulch and all the water drainage's that lead back to Heaton.

Patrick/lilbitmo
HikeItOrLoseIt

Post by HikeItOrLoseIt »

lilbitmo wrote:
HikeItOrLoseIt wrote:
lilbitmo wrote: Hmm...well we left from the village at 6:30 and summited at 10...we came down the devil's backbone not too long after that...maybe 10:15 so it is possible you were close, but I didn't see anybody descending the bowl...man that must have been an interesting descent... I only took pics of me at the peaks since I have been up there enough to have pics of pretty much everything, plus with all the haze it wasn't a good day for pics of the views. I still haven't summited baldy from the backbone, so maybe a 3 T's to notch to baldy trip is in order just to round out all the trails...then I'm really interested in doing the summit via Iron Mtn. and the traverse of the ridge in between...maybe when its a little cooler out but before the snow ;) I'll work on a trail report, but it was pretty uneventful...just walking ya know...
If you came up the Bear Flats/Village Trail and you summited by 10 AM you missed me by less than three minutes, you might have walked right past the others from my group they were headed to W. Baldy at 5 minutes till 10 while I headed down. If you saw three guys and one lady (she has a cowgirl hat with red hair) walking away from the main Baldy Summit that was our group heading like they were going down the village trail that was our group.

The bowl can be crazy unless you are used to "scree-sading" sort of like "glissading" on rock, gravel and small boulders. It tears up boots and shoes so I wouldn't recommend it unless you are wearing an older pair (I just keep putting new coats of RTV on them).

The Iron/Baldy Traverse is a very big day but you will like it, most do it with a car shuttle and go from the the Heaton Flat side up to Iron then to Baldy out through Manker Flats then go back and get the other car. Very few have done the Manker over Baldy/West Baldy to Iron, then reversed course back to Manker, we did that in December and it's an absolute butt kicker.

In November I'm willing to give at least "one-half" of the Death march a go, I'd be willing to do the Wright Mountain, to Pine, to Dawson, to Baldy, to West Badly, to Iron and out through Heaton Flats. The other half is to continue up from Heaton Flats to Rattle Snake, then up to S. Hawkins, Middle Hawkins, Saddie Hawkins, North Hawkins, Throop, Barnham and finish with Mount Baden Powell, then walk down to Vincent Gap and then call for a ambulance (JK :wink: ) it's quite the challenge and no one has done it since myself and one other hikers thru down the challenge back in 2010, one person tried but the area between Rattlesnake and S. Hawkins was a jungle and he had to quit at darkness having made the first half and tried to come back by way of Vincent Gulch and all the water drainage's that lead back to Heaton.

Patrick/lilbitmo
wow...i guess you guys take the word "death" seriously...i passed that group...i must have been at the summit when you went screeing...i would be interested in joining for the death march and I would have to evaluate at Iron whether I could attempt the whole thing or descend to heaton
Sean

Post by Sean »

lilbitmo wrote: In November I'm willing to give at least "one-half" of the Death march a go, I'd be willing to do the Wright Mountain, to Pine, to Dawson, to Baldy, to West Badly, to Iron and out through Heaton Flats.
Let me know when you're doing that. I sort of have the same idea for sometime this fall.
MountainGuy74

Post by MountainGuy74 »

Hello everyone

I'm 39 years old from Cedarpines Park, CA which is a small mountains community west of Crestline in the San Bernardino Mountains.

I think my screen name is self explanatory
mojaveman

Post by mojaveman »

Hello to everyone, I'm glad to see there are others who appreciate the San Gabes. I grew up in Palmdale, and now live out of state but return to visit once or twice a year. I'm 53 years old, but I was told I have the intellect of a "high school boy". In high school I had the mind of a 50 year old. Anyway, I hike, backpack, and mountain bike just to stay in shape for the sole purpose of revisiting Littlerock Creek before I die. Used to fish way upstream above Littlerock dam where the creek leaves the road, but that way in to the creek was long ago shut off to humans. I talked with one member of this forum who gave me some current info about the creek and a possible way to get to it, but would love to hear from anyone else who can tell me anything about it. Please IM me about the creek rather than post something. Hope everybody has a great fall season in the mountains.
aklackner

Post by aklackner »

My wife and I all cleaned up :) me not so cleaned up ;) and me just having fun!

Hey, I'm Alan (Klackner).
I'm not dead yet! (31)
I love the outdoors. Over the last few years I've been getting into classic alpinism\winter climbing. I enjoy sport climbing, snowboarding, hiking, backpacking, and road cycling (esp. loaded touring). Really most anything that has enough gear to over fill my garage. I used to do a lot of pulling plastic but a change in my job a couple years ago has really cut down the time and access to a good rock gym. Ages ago (ok, maybe it just seems like it) my wife and I would hike ~regularly with Ze' before he moved to NorCal. Mostly my wife and I have been weekend warriors with a couple longer trips each year. I want to get to know the San Gabriels better, become part of the community that loves them, and up my winter game. Anyone up to show me how to splitboard (or fine, ski) without breaking a leg?
Joelryan20

Post by Joelryan20 »

Hi, I'm Joel Ryan.

I'm a senior Nursing Student at UC Irvine, graduating in June. I grew up hiking, biking, and gym climbing (Rock City in Anaheim) with my dad. As a got older, and we both got busier, we got out together less often.

Jump forward to a few months ago, my girlfriend moved to NYC for school, and I'm stuck here until I graduate in June. I needed something to take my mind off of her being gone, as well as deal with school stress, and my love of the outdoors has been reborn!

I've been hiking and backpacking for a few months mostly in the San Gabe area, and have been lurking on these forums. As the temps have dropped, and snow has begun to cover the ground, I've been trying to pick up winter skills (and gear) as I go, and so far it's been going well. Over the next few months, I hope to learn more about winter backpacking and hiking through experience, the direction of those I meet on the trail, and advice from users on this forum.

Happy hiking,
Joel

Taco

Post by Taco »

Welcome aboard guys! 8)
rpmiller

Post by rpmiller »

Just found this forum. Ray Miller in Sandpoint, Idaho. I grew up in Azusa graduated from AHS 1962( yea, I’m old) Citrus Coll. In 1966 ( history/ geology). From 1964 till 67 was involved in Glendora Gun Shop. I transferred to Cal Poly Pomona and got drafted. Served in U.S. Army Viet Nam 1967-69. Returned to Cal Poly and graduated 1972 History/ Economics. Moved to Sandpoint and taught high school for 30 years. Graduated M.A. Education Univ. of Idaho 1974. I was assistant football coach and Head wrestling coach for 15 years. Served 20 yrs Sandpoint City Council and 6 yrs as Sandpoint Mayor. Am back as assistant football coach and volunteer in the weight training classes during the day. I spent many years of my youth playing and exploring in the San Gabriel Mountains and still have a fondness of them.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Welcome aboard. Do you ever get back to the San Gabes? I would like to see pictures of Idaho mountains, an area I may never get to visit.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

We need a mayor of the San Gabriels. I nominate you. :D
Taco

Post by Taco »

Right on, mayor!
rpmiller

Post by rpmiller »

RichardK Haven't been back in many years, I think there have been many changes. As soon as figure out how to post pics, I'll post some of the mountains here.