IP Address

Discuss anything. Possibly NSFW.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Can different members have the same IP address? I put Christina under moderation due to her confrontational tendencies, but then I see a new member join this morning with the same IP address,

hmm,

in fact, there are 3 members with the same IP address,

Why can't we all just get along and keep this forum on topic without conflict?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

This problem has surfaced on several other boards. It is possible for two unrelated members to have the same IP address but it does not happen all that often. On the other hand, if several members register and immediately set about demeaning other members, you are probably dealing with a single troll. A common IP address in that case just solidifies the case.

In dealing with graffiti, communities find that erasing it immediately is a powerful deterrent. The same principle applies to Message Board trolls. It's work for the administrators, but the message that crap will not be tolerated does have its desired effect.
Janice

Post by Janice »

IP addresses are not computer specific. They can be traced down the line by authorities such as the FBI but they are usually geographic specific.

I joined the board this morning, along with 3 or 4 other people.

I use AOL as my internet provider.

MANY people use AOL as their internet provider, it was the most popular at one time, not sure if that is still true.

This website is fairly specific to one area - the San Gabriel Mountains.

Can you imagine how many people use AOL and want to post on your website because they live close to the San Gabriels? Maybe if you got posters from all over the USA this might be different, but most posters on this site will be from a really close circle.

My understanding is that given this small geographical area, 3 people with the same IP address is not unusual at all. I'm surprised that its not a lot more than that now. I'm not sure what my IP address is, but I bet there will be a lot more people signing on with the same one that I have.

Please don't lump us all into the same group.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

As discussed long ago on the WPS Board, in the case of AOL, the large set of IP addresses (not one single address) that it uses for one of its sites are shared among AOL users in that region. So, the situation can occur in which one IP address is used, at various times, by different users. For this reason, you do not want to simply block a particular IP address unless you are sure it is the static IP address of a particular unwanted person.

On the other hand, if you get two people from, say, AOL that join around the same time and post only, or mostly, the same type of demeaning material (e.g., complaining about people who do the same hike over and over, as though that is somehow bad), the situation is pretty clear.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Janice wrote:Please don't lump us all into the same group.
Don't worry, I won't be taking any action, regardless of IP addresses, unless warranted. I now understand that the fact some some users have the same IP doesn't mean anything.