Quick Drying Pants For hiking in water?

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

So we're not big canyoneering people or anything, but we're going to do The Narrows in Zion on Friday and its in a lot of water. We have like rain pants for hiking, but that's supposed to keep you from getting wet, I don't know how helpful that will be when you're waist high in water. I'm kind of at a loss at how to dress for this. Any suggestions?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

100% nylon pants or shorts. I've used the Sahara pants that REI sells before to go down the narrows. And, um, :oops: synthetic undies or 100% nylon running shorts underneath. Those fancy nylon pants aren't going to dry well on top of cotton knickers.

HJ
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

I finally discovered this whole nylon pants thing and that is what I got. Fortunately there was a pair in my size on sale at REI over the labor day weekend :) And I just wore a bathing suit underneath, seemed to work out pretty well. The water was 65 degrees, which seems warm, but when you're in it for 12 hours -- is still really cold!

But they're good to have I guess, I don't tend to hike in 'hiking clothes' but they're made to be helpful for a reason!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

VermillionPearlGirl wrote: I finally discovered this whole nylon pants thing and that is what I got. Fortunately there was a pair in my size on sale at REI over the labor day weekend :) And I just wore a bathing suit underneath, seemed to work out pretty well. The water was 65 degrees, which seems warm, but when you're in it for 12 hours -- is still really cold!

But they're good to have I guess, I don't tend to hike in 'hiking clothes' but they're made to be helpful for a reason!
You might surprise yourself. I've gone nylon pants now for pretty much all of my hikes. Light, strong, pack well, dry quick. What's not to like?

HJ