Angeles Crest Highway (CA-2)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

bapolis wrote: It seems like motorcyclists own the 2 these days. Something must be done to improve safety.
I pull over and give them plenty of space to pass. It's actually one of the safer mountain roads. But people go up there specifically to drive recklessly. I'm not advocating a ban on action racing movies. I'm for free speech and all that. But Hollywood has been portraying reckless dumbasses as action heroes for half a century now. Our culture doesn't exactly have a great respect for safety and caution.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Sean wrote:
bapolis wrote: It seems like motorcyclists own the 2 these days. Something must be done to improve safety.
I pull over and give them plenty of space to pass. It's actually one of the safer mountain roads. But people go up there specifically to drive recklessly. I'm not advocating a ban on action racing movies. I'm for free speech and all that. But Hollywood has been portraying reckless dumbasses as action heroes for half a century now. Our culture doesn't exactly have a great respect for safety and caution.
Yeah, I pull over too. And I agree about our culture. But at the end of the day, people make their own decisions. I have little sympathy for people who intentionally endanger themselves and others.

I think we could start by just enforcing the laws that we already have. ;)
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

bapolis wrote: There were "at least five injury motorcycle crashes reported along Angeles Crest Highway on Saturday."
It appears that Darwin is taking care of the situation.

Sean

Post by Sean »

RichardK wrote: It appears that Darwin is taking care of the situation.
Smokey's on it too.

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

2 of the accidents were deer-related: http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/general ... st-highway
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

SUNDAY
Rescuers flew two motorcyclist to a hospital on Sunday after they collided with deer in two separate incidents ...

Both crash scenes are just north of Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Road.

SATURDAY

A motorcyclist died following a crash along Angeles Crest Highway deep in the Angeles National Forest on Saturday morning...

The solo-vehicle crash was first reported about 7:45 a.m. along Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Road...

He was riding a 2007 Suzuki GSX-R westbound at an unknown speed when, “for unknown reasons,” the cycle crossed over the double-yellow line into opposing traffic lanes

SUSPECTED CAUSE

Killer deer zombies
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Oh sure, blame it on the deer....when we all know a certain animal likes to play games with humans in the San Gabes. If we would all admit that Sasquatch wrecks havoc all over the mountains, instead of committing witnesses to a mental institution. Or you tell an officer that sasquatch distracted you on purpose and laughed about it.

Heres an example....a driver is descending the 2, but then sasquatch makes a sudden menacing appearance, that the motorcyclist coming up cant see. The driver spins out of control and the Sasquatch is ready to laugh, but then the motorcyclist avoids the crash. The dastardly Sasquatch is then mad that his or her plan to revenge the human visitations of the mountains didnt work, but also knows there is nothing the driver can say. That and the Sasquatch also claims its otherwise "boring out here"
Sean

Post by Sean »

AW wrote: If we would all admit that Sasquatch wrecks havoc all over the mountains, instead of committing witnesses to a mental institution. Or you tell an officer that sasquatch distracted you on purpose and laughed about it.
I'm certain that many people see Bigfoot but mistake him for someone else.

Smokey and Bigfoot are clearly related. I think they are brothers.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

They work as a team...
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Gentlemen, do we then have a public information campaign proposal that should be presented to Caltrans? Or do we put up a board that shows a mangled bloody wreck and say 'Dear blithering idiots, the type IV skull&bones fun is not worth it'. Drive safely today.'?

I figure the Allstate 'mayhem' type campaign, which does not offend the person, and continues to treat them as the customer is always right, is more persuasive. It also has the outdoor tourism aspect of empathizing how desirable is to to get recreating 5-10 minutes earlier than safe driving. And the civilized tolerance of knowing the commuter is hurrying for a commonsense reason. Who wouldnt drive 75 mph on the AFH from work to get back to their loved ones? Obviously someone driving slower is doing so on purpose to hold them back ;)

And the best benefit of this campaign would to educate and seek understanding of Squatchy. It doesnt have a comfy home and happiness to go to. It doesnt have a home cooked meal ready. That insta must-do route? Yah, been there, done that 1000X. Its civil rights have been ignored all this time. One could hope that one day Squatchy could even assist and hold an all-clear sign with a thumbs up to upper Big T riders, but lets not get too far ahead. More than likely it oil stained the road and tossed around some nails that it obtained by humans littering.
Sean

Post by Sean »

HikeUp wrote: They work as a team...
I see. So the deer zombie leaps into the road and makes the motorcyclist crash. Then Sasquatch steals the bike and rides away.

Sean

Post by Sean »

AW wrote: One could hope that one day Squatchy could even assist and hold an all-clear sign with a thumbs up to upper Big T riders, but lets not get too far ahead.
You might be on to something there. Up in Oregon they're already being integrated into society as crossing guards.

Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Caltrans updated their closure information to match what some of us have seen, "FROM THE JCT OF SR 39 TO 2.6 MI WEST OF BIG PINES." Unknown whether the web feedback form I filled out on Sunday to that effect had anything to do with it, but I'll call it a win.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

The Forest Service posted the following message on their FB page today:
Highway 2 Sinkhole Update:
7/26/2017 9:45 PM

From Caltrans

Media Relations and Public Affairs

The plan now is to secure the road enough so we can open it to one-way traffic control, which will be managed through flagged during the day and automated signals during the night. The goal is to get the road open by August 8.
Repairs will require extensive drain work so it may be a month before the road is fully opened.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

I understand it's supposed to be open the whole way, possibly one lane with a flagman or temporary light near the affected area. Haven't seen it myself yet.
hikeandhike

Post by hikeandhike »

What's the status of the closure now? I would like to drive from the San Bern area up to Cooper Canyon Falls. However, I can't see any current closure info on the CalTrans website.

Google Maps still showing it closed.

I thought I read an article about the metal plate being put across the hole, and intermittent traffic being let through?
robow8

Post by robow8 »

hikeandhike wrote: What's the status of the closure now? I would like to drive from the San Bern area up to Cooper Canyon Falls. However, I can't see any current closure info on the CalTrans website.

Google Maps still showing it closed.

I thought I read an article about the metal plate being put across the hole, and intermittent traffic being let through?
I just got back from Little Jimmy. ACH is open; repairs finished. BUT 138 is closed to traffic both ways west of the 15. Made for a horrible detour!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

It seems like the amount of car and motorcycle racers have increased on the 2. Many of them think they own the road, and I see accidents every weekend. I used to pull over and let them by -- but not anymore. Today I drove half the highway and didn't pull over once. You could tell they were pissed when I finally got off the road. It was awesome. From now on, I won't pull over if I'm doing the speed limit. I won't enable these assholes anymore. Who's with me?
walker

Post by walker »

A pack of about 30 bikers buzzed me this morning in the residential area at the base of the mountain, right near the first bend at the top of the incline, well before the light at Starlight. Several individuals passed me on the right while I was in the righthand lane! This really surprised me since in the past, even when they're eager to reach high speeds, the bikers I've encountered on ACH generally seem to have discipline and pass carefully. I still prefer to pull over when given the chance. I'd rather that than have some angry folks on my rear bumper.

On the other hand, I've also seen a couple bikers doing reckless stunts on the freeways recently - Riding sidesadlle, 2-mile loose-feet wheelies in front of me in the car pool lane, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

bapolis wrote:From now on, I won't pull over if I'm doing the speed limit. I won't enable these assholes anymore. Who's with me?
I wouldn't recommend this course of action. I believe it is actually against the law. It does not matter if the motorcyclists are exceeding the speed limit. The priority is road safety. And it is unsafe to prevent them from passing in the proper lane. The vehicle code requires you to pull over when you are holding up five or more vehicles on a two-lane highway.

Also, if an impatient motorist tried to pass me in the opposing lane and got hit by oncoming traffic, I wouldn't want that on my conscience. I might also be vulnerable to legal action for not pulling over when required to do so by law.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Sean wrote:
bapolis wrote:From now on, I won't pull over if I'm doing the speed limit. I won't enable these assholes anymore. Who's with me?
I wouldn't recommend this course of action. I believe it is actually against the law. It does not matter if the motorcyclists are exceeding the speed limit. The priority is road safety. And it is unsafe to prevent them from passing in the proper lane. The vehicle code requires you to pull over when you are holding up five or more vehicles on a two-lane highway.

Also, if an impatient motorist tried to pass me in the opposing lane and got hit by oncoming traffic, I wouldn't want that on my conscience. I might also be vulnerable to legal action for not pulling over when required to do so by law.
Yeah, I'm aware of the law. If there's more than 5 cars/bikes behind me, I pull over. There were only 2 cars/bikes yesterday though. I was abiding by the law.

As for my action potentially leading to an accident, I think that argument works both ways. Pulling over to let a speeder by could also result in an accident, as the driver would speed after passing me. Would you not feel guilty if you pulled over for a speeder, only to find that he/she caused an accident up ahead? You might've prevented that accident had you not pulled over to let them by. There's also the danger of re-entering the road after pulling over. I'd feel guilty if I pulled over, only to cause an accident when I get back on. It's not really an issue on the straight sections, but some of the turnouts are on or near corners. I don't think it's reasonable to expect drivers to pull over on those.
Sean

Post by Sean »

bapolis wrote:As for my action potentially leading to an accident, I think that argument works both ways. Pulling over to let a speeder by could also result in an accident, as the driver would speed after passing me. Would you not feel guilty if you pulled over for a speeder, only to find that he/she caused an accident up ahead? You might've prevented that accident had you not pulled over to let them by.
I'm glad you pull over when there are five motorists behind you. That was my main point. And I agree with your point about the potential lose-lose situation. If you don't pull over, then an impatient motorist might crash into oncoming traffic using the wrong lane to pass. But if you do pull over, the speeding motorist might lose control and cause a crash that way. So, you're potentially damned if you do, damned if you don't, in terms of your own conscience.

I guess it's a personal choice based on your assessment of the situation. What I have been doing lately is moving to the right hand side of the lane in staightaways and giving motorcyclists the left side so that they don't have to cross the double yellow line to pass.

Ultimately, many motorcyclists will continue riding recklessly no matter what we do. I believe there are reasons for this that are deeply biological and cultural. But that discussion is best left for a different forum. My point here is that if you want to reduce reckless motorists on the ACH, we need more law enforcement officers on the road.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Sean wrote:
bapolis wrote:As for my action potentially leading to an accident, I think that argument works both ways. Pulling over to let a speeder by could also result in an accident, as the driver would speed after passing me. Would you not feel guilty if you pulled over for a speeder, only to find that he/she caused an accident up ahead? You might've prevented that accident had you not pulled over to let them by.
I'm glad you pull over when there are five motorists behind you. That was my main point. And I agree with your point about the potential lose-lose situation. If you don't pull over, then an impatient motorist might crash into oncoming traffic using the wrong lane to pass. But if you do pull over, the speeding motorist might lose control and cause a crash that way. So, you're potentially damned if you do, damned if you don't, in terms of your own conscience.

I guess it's a personal choice based on your assessment of the situation. What I have been doing lately is moving to the right hand side of the lane in staightaways and giving motorcyclists the left side so that they don't have to cross the double yellow line to pass.

Ultimately, many motorcyclists will continue riding recklessly no matter what we do. I believe there are reasons for this that are deeply biological and cultural. But that discussion is best left for a different forum. My point here is that if you want to reduce reckless motorists on the ACH, we need more law enforcement officers on the road.
I agree that more officers on the ACH is the answer. I've never been a fan of law enforcement, but the amount of reckless driving and accidents I've seen up there over the past year has changed my opinion.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

bapolis wrote: It seems like the amount of car and motorcycle racers have increased on the 2. Many of them think they own the road, and I see accidents every weekend. I used to pull over and let them by -- but not anymore. Today I drove half the highway and didn't pull over once. You could tell they were pissed when I finally got off the road. It was awesome. From now on, I won't pull over if I'm doing the speed limit. I won't enable these assholes anymore. Who's with me?
The law of the mountain is the faster driver in the back has the edge. Because they have the mountain right to be armed, its even more of an edge potentially.
All you can do is defensive driving....now at night the situation changes quite a bit, but what happens in the dark stays in the dark. Personally I wouldnt overtake Squatchy at night if my life depended on it.
Sean

Post by Sean »

AW wrote:Personally I wouldnt overtake Squatchy at night if my life depended on it.
Yeah, don't interrupt the Squatch when he's cruising for highway vixens!

Sean

Post by Sean »

The ACH is currently open between La Canada and Wrightwood. I enjoyed driving alongside slopes full of snow on the north side of Baden-Powell. But lots of rocks had fallen on the highway, so going around them required some attention.
Sean

Post by Sean »

The road is now closed at Islip Saddle.

Screenshot_20180301-084026~2.png
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Thanks for the heads up! Hoping to get out to Twin Peaks this weekend and play in the snow, weather and roads permitting. I'll have to remind myself to approach from the west!

Now is the chance to do Baden Powell in the snow without crowds if you are willing to hike in a few miles!
robow8

Post by robow8 »

"The road is now closed at Islip Saddle."

It's closed at Big Pines for me.
anarchist

Post by anarchist »

Road is open from Islip to Vincent when I was there Saturday evening.