Angeles Crest Highway (CA-2)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

You mean on the Angeles Crest Hwy? To Islip Saddle generally unless there's a special event or road maintenance going on.

On the trails from Buckhorn, you can go all the way to Mexico, Canada and all points in between. :)
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Yes, I was able to get to Buckhorn last Saturday
kgw

Post by kgw »

Hikin_Jim wrote:You mean on the Angeles Crest Hwy? To Islip Saddle generally unless there's a special event or road maintenance going on.
Thanks, Jim, that's what I was curious about.
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

it better be open to Islip saddle
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

I parked at Islip Saddle this past Sunday, so Im pretty sure it's open 8)
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

Don't hold your breath on the Crest getting open this year. Cal-Trans is building a bridge over the wash out near Vincent Gap. They claim it will be done this month but I'm betting they won't. Even if they do, the road will close for winter and open the beginning of May 09'. The road closes every winter once we get the first snow and re-opens alomst like clock work the first weekend of May. There have been times when the road stayed closed longer because of the high amopunts of snow during heavy winter falls.
When the road is open you can drive from the 210 freeway in La Canada to the 5 freeway past Wrightwood.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Richard N. wrote:When the road is open you can drive from the 210 freeway in La Canada to the 5 freeway past Wrightwood.
Bill

Post by Bill »

AlanK wrote:
Richard N. wrote:When the road is open you can drive from the 210 freeway in La Canada to the 5 freeway past Wrightwood.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Well, the 15 is a freeway (as is the 5) and the 138 isn't, but I have noticed that the 2 ends at the 138, so Bill FTW.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

I think the 138 connects directly with the 5 freeway. I might be wrong but I think you can get to the 5 via the 138 w/o touching the 15.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

FIGHT ON wrote:I think the 138 connects directly with the 5 freeway. I might be wrong but I think you can get to the 5 via the 138 w/o touching the 15.
Not goin' east, you can't (see topic).
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

AlanK wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote:I think the 138 connects directly with the 5 freeway. I might be wrong but I think you can get to the 5 via the 138 w/o touching the 15.
Not goin' east, you can't (see topic).
:lol: Richard N. didn't say anything about driving east. He said "When the road is open you can drive from the 210 freeway in La Canada to the 5 freeway past Wrightwood." :lol: And you can!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

From there, to get to the 5, it's best to take the 10. 10 + 5 = 15. The coast Hwy is 1. 38 takes you down hill from Angelus Oaks. I like to coast down hill, therefore to coast on the 38 = 1 || 38 = 138. It's all a matter of context. :lol: :lol:
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Richard N. wrote: When the road is open you can drive from the 210 freeway in La Canada to the 5 freeway past Wrightwood.
true
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

FIGHT ON wrote:
Richard N. wrote: When the road is open you can drive from the 210 freeway in La Canada to the 5 freeway past Wrightwood.
true
If he means "when the road is open you can drive on the 2 from the 210 freeway in La Canada to the 5 freeway past Wrightwood" the answer is false. If he meant that you can use roads other than the 2, then the answer is true whether the 2 is open or not.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hikin_Jim wrote:From there, to get to the 5, it's best to take the 10. 10 + 5 = 15. The coast Hwy is 1. 38 takes you down hill from Angelus Oaks. I like to coast down hill, therefore to coast on the 38 = 1 || 38 = 138. It's all a matter of context. :lol: :lol:
220,221 what ever it takes. :lol:
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

AlanK wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote:
true
If he means "when the road is open you can drive on the 2 from the 210 freeway in La Canada to the 5 freeway past Wrightwood" the answer is false. If he meant that you can use roads other than the 2, then the answer is true whether the 2 is open or not.
No "ifs" about it. He used the word, :arrow: Crest. (that's the 2) And if the answer is false, then so is the number 15. But the truth is what he wrote is correct! When the road is open you can drive from the 210 freeway in La Canada to the 5 freeway past Wrightwood.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Yup. Even if the entire Rt. 2 is closed except for the first mile above the 210, one can drive on the Crest Highway for a mile, take random streets in La Canada to get on he 210 at Foothill, take the 210 east to the 30 to the 10, take the 10 to Jacksonville, pick up I-95 to New York city, head west on I-80. make a left at Salt Lake City and take the I-15 to 138 to Wrightwood. It does not make the ACH get you to I-5 because, of course, the ACH does not hit the 5.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

AlanK wrote:Yup. Even if the entire Rt. 2 is closed except for the first mile above the 210, one can drive on the Crest Highway for a mile, take random streets in La Canada to get on he 210 at Foothill, take the 210 east to the 30 to the 10, take the 10 to Jacksonville, pick up I-95 to New York city, head west on I-80. make a left at Salt Lake City and take the I-15 to 138 to Wrightwood. It does not make the ACH get you to I-5 because, of course, the ACH does not hit the 5.
blah blah blah. So why did you write 15 then? :lol:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I wrote "15" because I thought that was that the original poster meant when he wrote "5." When "138" was posted I was reminded of the obvious fact -- well known to me -- that the ACH does not go all the way to the 15. Or the 5. I wrote "Bill FTW" to give Bill credit for pointing out that one needed the 138 to get to the 15. In other words, I admitted that I was mistaken and moved on.

This is not rocket science and it should be obvious to you and anyone else from reading my original posts.

the rest of the conversation has been dumb banter. Including this.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

AlanK wrote:I wrote "15" because I thought that was that the original poster meant when he wrote "5." When "138" was posted I was reminded of the obvious fact -- well known to me -- that the ACH does not go all the way to the 15. Or the 5. I wrote "Bill FTW" to give Bill credit for pointing out that one needed the 138 to get to the 15. In other words, I admitted that I was mistaken and moved on.

This is not rocket science and it should be obvious to you and anyone else from reading my original posts.

the rest of the conversation has been dumb banter. Including this.
I thought you were giving him a high 15. I mean if I use 3 poles because of how old I am then you must have at least that many!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

FIGHT ON wrote:I mean if I use 3 poles because of how old I am then you must have at least that many!
I don't think I'm that much older than you, but if I followed my own rules I'd have to use 3 poles too.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig (and ruin the music).

or its corollary

Never wrestle with a troll, you both get dirty and the troll likes it.

or

Have you tried teaching a pig to fly? They do pretty good on the initial fling.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

HikeUp wrote:Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig (and ruin the music).

or its corollary

Never wrestle with a troll, you both get dirty and the troll likes it.

or

Have you tried teaching a pig to fly? They do pretty good on the initial fling.
hickup :oops:
mtnfox

Post by mtnfox »

Re: the closure between Vincent Gap & Islip Saddle

Apparently the contractors attempted to start moving the huge concrete girders for the bridge into place this week. Unfortunately, one fell off the dollies as it was being lifted and crashed onto the highway. This presents a lot of problems. I guess the general consensus is that the only way to remove it is to jackhammer it into pieces, and a replacement girder has to be formed and this process takes several months. They are now saying the highway will not open until spring/summer 2009. Oh well. At least nobody got hurt.

I'm not sure if there is a rule against links here, but if you go to the Wrightwoodcalif website forum, under "hot topics" there is a thread titled "road conditions on hwy 2 past Grassy Hollow" that is dedicated to this topic, if you want the latest information.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Yeah, as if avalanches wern't enough! :-(
mtnfox

Post by mtnfox »

True...a big winter could delay it even more. They were optimistic of it being open by Thanksgiving before this happened.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Jackhammer it to pieces? Surely, there's a better way. :(
mtnfox

Post by mtnfox »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Jackhammer it to pieces? Surely, there's a better way. :(
Yeah - I know. They're saying that if they try to use a crane the girder (being so damaged) will crumble and fall apart, and this would be dangerous. A few people have uploaded photos on the Wrightwood website I referenced. They didn't make it very far. The girder is laying pretty much right at the gate at Vincent Gap, and it is HUGE - 200 feet long.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Links are ok. Here is the Wrightwoodcalif.com forum site that mtnfox referred to. What a mess!