Orange County Hiking/Sections of this Forum

Comments & questions about this site.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

From another thread (on Cleveland National Forest/Orange County):
Mike P wrote: I see a new discussion board coming!!!!

Another possibility is to have Santa Ana Mountains tab in this discussion group.
It's hard to get a new forum going. I think Cali Mountains is now gone, yes? I think a separate "tab" (section) here for Orange County might be a good thing.

I don't think a tab for every area in So Cal is all that good of an idea since places like San Gorgonio and San Jacinto already have active forums. And too many tabs dilutes a forum.

Personally, I like being able to see all the "tabs" when I open the front page of the site. Right now, I have to scroll down. Minor complaint, I realize, but it seems like some sections of the forum are less used than others. I wonder if we could consolidate a few lesser used sections into "General Discussion" or something? I mean if it's months between posts, does it really need space on the front page?

HJ
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

I agree, putting a new tab seems to make sense as a whole new forum takes financial backing besides a following.

We have plenty to work with on other forums, this one will continue to educate folks to what they are looking for.

Consolidating categories might work as well to unclutter and centralize topics.

Time for one of those famous "Polls" what say you?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

The problem might be that moving posts is a really tedious task (assuming this forum's software is like the San Jacinto forum's software; I'm a moderator on the SJ forum).

If it were not a horrendous task, I'd be up for helping to consolidate some of the sections.

HJ
Sean

Post by Sean »

Hikin_Jim wrote: The problem might be that moving posts is a really tedious task ...
Could you move one forum folder into another, creating a subforum? For example, "Swap Meet" could be moved into "Gear". "Climbing" and "Biking/Running" could be moved into "General Discussion." This would create space for another main forum devoted to mountains outside of SGM.

Also, some of the announcements and stickies could probably be removed.

I volunteer to help if it's a large task to reorganize.

Also, moving individual posts/threads around seems like a waste of time. People will create new ones if you simply create new forums. Old-timers and data-miners can use the search function to find ancient gems buried in the rubble.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I can do all of that. I don't think I'll require any assistance since I'm unemployed, but thank you for the offers.

So here's the current layout:
GENERAL DISCUSSION
NEWS AND CURRENT CONDITIONS
TRIP REPORTS
PLANS AND PARTNERS
CLIMBING, CANYONEERING, ETC
BIKING, DRIVING, RUNNING
FLORA AND FAUNA
GEAR
SQMDF SWAP MEET
THE PUB
QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS

My thoughts:
General discussion: Obviously this stays, as it is a default part of all forum architecture.

News and Current Conditions: I also believe this subforum to be vital. I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

Trip Reports: Also vital.

Plans and Partners: How well is this working for you guys who ask for partners on here? I tend to ask for partners privately, and don't think I use this section often. Your thoughts, please.

Climbing, Canyoneering, etc: I could easily remove this and place the posts in a different subforum, not sure which yet but I'd assume General Discussion would be where they go.

Biking Driving Running: Same as above. Least amount of traffic.

Flora and Fauna: I don't see getting rid of this one, since it's popular. Thankfully we have a lot of folks interested in this section. :)

Gear: I'd leave this. I would put the swap meet stuff into it.

Swap Meet: See above.

The Pub: This is off-topic. Basically where things that shouldn't go in general discussion go.

Questions and Comments: This is a subforum for me, where folks with any issues bring them forward so that I can fix them. Probably leaving this as-is.

Yeah, I killed CaliMountains because it was a waste of time. It went nowhere and I was unwilling to try to push it on people when there are so many sites out there already.

I know this is a San Gabe specific site, but I'd be more than happy to cover everything here in SoCal. I don't mean to take business away from the San Jacinto forum, and the San Gorgonio forum is Cold War technology so if we take traffic from there (very unlikely), that's just natural progression.

Thoughts please!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I pretty much am in line with your assessment. Fold "CLIMBING, CANYONEERING, ETC" and "BIKING, DRIVING, RUNNING" into "GENERAL DISCUSSION". I'd either fold "PLANS AND PARTNERS" into "GENERAL DISCUSSION" or just drop it. Basically, if I see a trip in "GENERAL DISCUSSION" that I want in on, I'll say so on the forum or send a PM.

I'd probably fold "NEWS AND CURRENT CONDITIONS" into "GENERAL DISCUSSION". I agree that the function is essential, but I don't see a need to make it a separate section. But no big. Eliminating the three sections mentioned would make things a lot simpler. Definite improvement.
Taco wrote: the San Gorgonio forum is Cold War technology ...
Oh? They've upgraded? ;)

HJ
AW~

Post by AW~ »

The Orange County Constituency of the San Gabriel Mountains :lol: .

the other choice is "OC Outsiders" :wink:

Kidding aside, I think its a good idea since many OCers visit the San Gabes. It might take awhile to get traction, but I think its worth the try. I also vote for moving the climbing/canyoneering threads into the applicable forum trip report or general discussion. Just thinking here, but maybe just have a climbing sticky and canyoneering sticky on the trip report one that we list the links to the various trip reports.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

I agree with what HJ said above.

Adding the category that covers all the other ranges will be nice and I think if you put a notice somewhere that alerts them to the fact that there are other forums for further research they can always link to those.

Under General Discussion on it's heading you can add the words, News and Current Conditions can be found here, it will not go away per se just be a subheading of another heading.

Climbing, Canyoneering, Biking, Driving, Running, etc could become all one topic heading as well. Could put the words "All other outdoor activities" or some shit like that.

Swap meet and Gear could come under one sub heading.

Plans and partners could be part of General Discussion, never but maybe once in 4 years had anyone join in anything I posted other than want to do that winter mountaineering course that got "Dried Out" versus "snowed out" if you get my drift, come back winter we miss you, don't go away mad we'll be nice this time :D
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Taco wrote: I know this is a San Gabe specific site, but I'd be more than happy to cover everything here in SoCal. I don't mean to take business away from the San Jacinto forum, and the San Gorgonio forum is Cold War technology so if we take traffic from there (very unlikely), that's just natural progression.

Thoughts please!
Baby steps....to see where we are complementary and not competitive. We do the best job like that here...you could be active on the wrightwood forum or any of the many interests and still appreciate this one.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I like the ideas...
Seems to me the Plans and Partners section has value when looking for beta on a route or something - like the death march discussion now. Not so much for meeting up.
But then maybe that falls into the description of the News And Current Conditions topic......
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Over the summer, I considered the idea of starting a Santa Ana Mountain forum, but never had time to get started on it.

I love the idea of adding it here where everything is already set up and working. A new section for the Santa Anas would be welcome!
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

A new sub-forum on here would be a good idea, but call it the 'Santa Ana Mtns/CNF' or something similar - this is probably a better description of the area:

1. The CNF is a patchwork of low elevation mountains extending down through San Diego.

2. The Santa Ana Mtns, the north area of the CNF, is not just in Orange County, but in Riverside County, too. And its a lot steeper on the Riverside Co/Elsinore side.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Taco wrote: Plans and Partners: How well is this working for you guys who ask for partners on here? I tend to ask for partners privately, and don't think I use this section often. Your thoughts, please.
I vote for keeping this section but placing it under General Discussion seems appropriate. I think the section has specialized value in people helping others plan hikes, such as the Death March, and it's nice to have a place devoted only to that task.

I would vote against moving News and Current Conditions. It gets enough traffic to warrant a top-level listing. It's also not really of the "general discussion" nature. It's usually very event-specific.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

atomicoyote wrote: A new sub-forum on here would be a good idea, but call it the 'Santa Ana Mtns/CNF' or something similar - this is probably a better description of the area
Yeah, that's a good point. "Orange County" is a little limiting.

Maybe "Cleveland NF & Vicinity"? Maybe we'd get Chino Hills and stuff in there with that. Whatever works.

HJ
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

It's cool if Taco Man expands his Eispiraten mountaineering empire, and the addition of other areas is a good idea since TRs and other info gets posted here anyway, but it would be a shame if the site lost is San Gabes focus. I've learned a bunch about that range from you guys/gals and I'd hate to see the site watered down in that area. I've still got a lot of ground to cover and information to absorb.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

We're also getting close to 1000 members.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Yup, good ideas here.

I agree with HJ and libitmo for the most part. I would like to see News and Current Conditions" separate from "General Discussion", however.

Of course, "Flora and Fauna" is the most important section... :)
Taco

Post by Taco »

I like the ideas in this thread. I will implement some of them (or a model) for you guys early next week.

Uncle Rico, I like your point. I do not think this should lose focus so much as just scoop up other 'smaller focus' areas.

Once we're over 1,000 users, we have to murder one member each time another joins.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Taco wrote: Once we're over 1,000 users, we have to murder one member each time another joins.
I vote for murdering members who forget to put their non-SGM junk in the non-SGM forum. :twisted:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote: Once we're over 1,000 users, we have to murder one member each time another joins.
Seems fair. Of course we should do it in the order that people signed up. First in, first out. :twisted:

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Sean wrote: I vote for murdering members who forget to put their non-SGM junk in the non-SGM forum. :twisted:

Or those that mention being out on a trail with no TR...
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Taco

Post by Taco »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Seems fair. Of course we should do it in the order that people signed up. First in, first out. :twisted:

HJ
LOL since I'm the oldest, this place will be overrun by Chinese spambots.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

JeffH wrote:
Sean wrote: I vote for murdering members who forget to put their non-SGM junk in the non-SGM forum. :twisted:

Or those that mention being out on a trail with no TR...
JeffH for forum Sergeant at Arms...once Taco is "eliminated". :-|
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote: JeffH for forum Sergeant at Arms...once Taco is "eliminated". :-|
I think it's wonderful how people are contributing such good suggestions on how to improve the forum. :lol:

HJ
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

HikeUp wrote: JeffH for forum Sergeant at Arms...once Taco is "eliminated". :-|
Sergeant at Arms? I thought the forum leader was called War Chief. :)
Taco

Post by Taco »

I'm more a shaman or wizard right now. But anyway, I'll get this done this week.

Unless... one more Chinese spambot! :shock:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

tekewin wrote: Sergeant at Arms? I thought the forum leader was called War Chief. :)
Usually "Glorious Leader" works. Or "Machete Brother" once you get to know him. ;)

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Can we add a new section for golf?
Taco

Post by Taco »

So here's the current layout:
GENERAL DISCUSSION
NEWS AND CURRENT CONDITIONS
TRIP REPORTS
PLANS AND PARTNERS
CLIMBING, CANYONEERING, ETC
BIKING, DRIVING, RUNNING
FLORA AND FAUNA
GEAR
SQMDF SWAP MEET
THE PUB
QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS

Here is the proposed layout:
GENERAL DISCUSSION
NEWS & CONDITIONS
TRIP REPORTS
ORANGE CO (What shall we name this, and what will be the description under the title? 'Outside the San Gabes?')
FLORA & FAUNA
GEAR
THE PUB

What say you?
Sean

Post by Sean »

I propose calling it: OTHER RANGES ... beyond the San Gabriel Mountains.

TRIP REPORTS could be dedicated to the San Gabriels.