OC Peaklet 5-pack

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

A string of peaklets in the Laguna Coast "Wilderness" rise along the San Joaquin Hills Tollway (Hwy 73). They offer a surprising amount of fun for an urbanesque setting, especially Peak 808, which is not easy to find and has a 45 degree dirt scramble if approached from the south. I started at the Laguna Wilderness parking area on Laguna Canyon Road just south of El Toro on the right. I followed the Laurel Canyon trail, turned right at the Stagecoach South trail, and went off trail to the left up a big rock slab that leads to a use trail to Peak 808. Along the way, there are a couple of false summits. The final dirt section can be done standing up, but is easier using your hands. The trail is clearly visible as an S-shape from the 73 Tollway heading north. There is no benchmark or register on Peak 808. From there, it is a 10 minute trip down to a saddle, then up to Peak 867. Chaparral hides the benchmark on Peak 867. Follow a faint use trail about 30' around it toward the Tollway to find a metal pole and damaged OC Survey Mark. No register found.

Rock slab to Peak 808 trail

Peak 808

Damaged OC benchmark on Peak 867

I continued north over Peak 867 across a wash, then under the 73 Tollway to pick up the uninspiring Peak 817 off the Serrano Ridge trail. There is a weak use trail up 817, but it is overgrown and some light bushwhacking is required to reach the high point. For your effort, you'll find nothing there.

Heading under the 73 to Peak 817

Thrashing up to Peak 817

Hawk hunting along Serrano Ridge

Next, I went back under the 73 to hit two peaks over 1000' behind Crystal Cove State Park. The highest and northern most of the two, Peak 1063, sits directly above the 73 Toll Gates a short distance off Bommer Ridge. I approached on an unnamed trail. Peak 1063 was surrounded by a fence and had some signs about "closed" and "violators something" but I was too busy getting through the fence to read them. After that, I returned to Bommer Ridge and picked up a use trail on the left up to Peak 1034. No benchmarks or registers found on either of the 1000'+ peaklets. I returned on Bommer Ridge, then Willow Canyon trail back to the parking area. completing a pleasant 8.4 mile loop.

Fenced off Peak 1063

Peak 1034 ahead

View down Laurel Canyon to Peaks 867 and 808 from 1034

All of these number soup peaklets are in the Peakbagger database for Orange County.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Cool beans teke. If I'm not mistaken, a buddy and I used to ride that area before the Toll Road was completed. Fun area to explore.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Rico,

Yeah, it is a fun area. The network of trails connects Laguna Coast to Crystal Cove so the variations are endless.

The toll road opened in 1996 I think. It must have been a little more of a wilderness then.
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

I've only hiked the laguna coast wilderness once, those no trespassing signs on the way to peaks scared me away from hiking up there. I don't know how strict the OC parks are and I don't really want to find out. Whiting, caspers, aliso, and laguna have a bunch of off trail spots I want to check out.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Occasionally, Irvine PD has volunteer patrols drive on Serrano Ridge Road and Bommer Road. I've never seen anyone official on any of the single track trails.