Verdugo Mtns.- any natural water sources there?

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
BrownMtnBob

Post by BrownMtnBob »

I've never seen any, other than perhaps just after a rain. However, I've read a couple things that mention "natural springs" ??

I want to explore more in the area.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

This summer, there were a couple of stagnant puddles in canyons that usually trickle all year. I've never found any springs but that would be a cool discovery.
David R

Post by David R »

The north side would really have the only opportunity for any water most of the year but even in the winter when I run/hike these canyons there is barely a trickle. Fortunately most routes in the Verdugos shouldn't take more then 3 hours at most. For a long run I take a water bottle, for a short up and down I take nothing.
BrownMtnBob

Post by BrownMtnBob »

There was a $10million Verdugo Mtns pot growing operation which was busted in 2007. The reort detailed how the plants were being watered. Here's an excerpt-

WATER SOURCE IDENTIFIED FOR SEIZED MARIJUANA FARM

(Glendale, CA) Contrary to preliminary reports, the water supply source providing irrigation to the hillside marijuana crop seized last week by the Glendale Police Department has been identified as being supplied by underground natural water springs.

??
David R

Post by David R »

I found the article it says they had holding tanks to catch the runoff, I'm assuming that is most probably from rain even though they use the term "underground springs". There may also have been some general seepage that over time collected but for an average hiker wouldn't add up to much of anything.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

David R wrote: I found the article it says they had holding tanks to catch the runoff, I'm assuming that is most probably from rain even though they use the term "underground springs". There may also have been some general seepage that over time collected but for an average hiker wouldn't add up to much of anything.
That article was bogus....

Here is the final version:
http://articles.glendalenewspress.com/2 ... iscoveries

However, I doubt any springs will be running much longer- if there are any still running. I have also run across springs being mentioned in historical articles about the Gabrielinos. For example theres a natural spring on the Verdugo Hills Golf Course. Or the Indian Springs, present day - Vons.

"In the 1960’s the pool cracked and was condemned.

Developers bought it with the intent of building a new hospital there. Instead, they chose a site farther up the hill -- and used Indian Springs -- to dump the excavated dirt.

The pool and grounds were once well below street level, with a road leading down to it. After the workers finished moving the earth around, the area was above street level. In a final re-configuring of nature -- the spring itself was sealed off, forcing it under ground. The area became a shopping center. The old pool -- a parking lot."
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

When I hike the Beaudry Motorway loop from Beaudry Blvd, there's always been this area of running water just off the trail, fairly early on, before the split between N and S. I've never investigated, just heard it and seen it from afar. It's spring-esque, but probably just natural run off. I haven't been there in a while though.

I was going to say there's that one place where there is sometimes running, sometimes stagnant water, but then I realized it's across the 2 in what is evidently "San Rafael Hills". So not the same thing. It's just all "Glendale" in my mind.